Wolf versus American Pitbull Terrier?

podunkcowboy

A debate has arisen between another member and myself about whether an American Pitbull Terriers gameness and durability could overtake the size and hunting/ killing instinct of an adult wolf. As a hog hunter I have seen first hand what determined bulldogs can do but have no experience with the bigger wild canines from the north woods. What do you guys think? All opinions are welcome and intelligent debate is encouraged.

botha re very tough blood thirsty animals, i agree a wolf would win in this one. should be a good debate!
but remember lets try to keep the gloves on!! and when the ref says get to your corner! please do so lol

That is the one wrench in my side of the argument. For sake of argument the scenario I present is one large wolf bayed by a pack of hounds and a bulldog is released like while hog hunting, or a lone wolf attacks you and your bulldog happens to be there. The pack situation is hardly fair.

i have hunted with pits on hogs also, never been around wolves but know some guys with first hand stories about them and what i have read, the pit doesnt have a chance, i could be wrong but i just dont think the pit would last long, i believe the right pit would give his all to the fight but i think the wolf would get the upper hand in short order

The giving it his all is true, Ive had catch dogs die in hold without making a peep and ive had to pry them off the hog dead. A good bulldog lives and dies as a true warrior. Never seen the likes of them in any wild animal.

OK...I'll start. Scenario: your hiking with a big male, totally bada__, pit bull and across the meadow a comparable specimen of a lone big male wolf. (The male thing keeps the cross-breeding scenario out of the discussion) The canines lock eyes and and charge toward each other. The only distraction is you running (either back to the car or into the meadow to help your dog, Im guessing most all on this forum would be wading in to help your pooch!!!).

Not sure what the pit bull is thinking now, but the wolf is saying...He's in my territory and I need dinner.

The pit bull has, in my opinion only one chance, and that is to get a death grip at the first encounter and not let go. If not the wolf will have inflicted serious wounds. The longer the encounter goes, the more the balance will shift to the wolf. I'd guess most encounters would go to the wolf.

Here's why:
Wolves hunt and kill everyday of their lives. That is what they do and they are good at it.
A wolf would have the advantage of killing experience, including other wolves.
I would give the wolf an advantage in both speed and conditioning.
The largest specimens of both wolf and pit bull would find a wt. advantage to the wolf.
I have lived in 3 States with large wolf populations...Alaska, Minnesota and now Idaho. I have never heard of any dog successfully defending itself from a wolf. I have heard of many dogs being lost to wolves.
The wolf offers up a mouthfull of long hair, pitbulls lack any protection provided by a thick coat of hair.

Thats my story and Im sticking to it!

Silvertp

this is like king leonidas and king xerxes fighting for the empire....

it can go either way, both are very brutal KILLING machines,
but i WILL agree the pit has more heart for the battle!

The pit lives for battle much like one of Leonidas' spartans. No matter the outcome it would be one [beeep] of a fight. Ive witnessed dogs fighting numerous times the way most canines fight is similar to coyotes and wolves nipping and snapping which causes superficial damage but little or no grievous wounds. The bulldog usually overcomes other canines by out powering them. Latching into a good hold depending on where the dog favors. Usually the head or front leg but sometimes the stifle. The bulldog then drives the other animal backwards until he can topple him and gain the top which he would surely do to the taller lankier wolf. Now comes the damageing part.. the shake, one of my big males can lift a 33 inch mud tire and shake it over his head. Also he can crunch a 2x4 in two with one or two bites. IMO the wolf would either quit at that point or be grieviously wounded. The wolfs reaction is what I know little about.

I use to raise wolves and mixed breed them with German Shepards and sold them to a Navy Base for guard dogs and keep in mind this was like 10 years ago. In the end we ended up with hybreds and there is no pit bull alive that could slow any of these down. I deleted some of what I was going to say because of the animal rights people but my hybreds would destroy a pit bull one on one and have witnessed 2 pits down. My hybreds were 100 pounds average size. I don't raise anything like those now for the sake of my children so we got a black lab now...lol.

At one time one of our wolves got out for about an hour and breed a chow and those puppies didn't look like either one but they were cute.

haha,

wish you had some pics,
our chows about 30 lbs or so,
the coyotes here scare the chow poop outta him. we had a dog named buddy that used to fight with the coyotes around here my papaw said. My old pappy was weedwacking one day, looked over at buddy as he ran into the woods after some howls an hour before dark, We never seen him again!?

My vote is on the wolf.

Back around 1970-71?. We put two good coyote hounds on a fresh coyote track. One of the hounds, a Black & Tan weighed 110 lbs, tough as nails. The other hound was a Walker hound, another tough hound. Both were experienced coyote hounds. I'd est the Walker was around 60 lbs or so. Both were males & both were relentless with long endurance.

Well, this coyote track apparently crossed a lone wolf track. So the hounds took after the wolf. They caught the wolf, just over a ridge from where we sat in the truck looking for a push-out. We seen the wolf, on the large size. We grabbed our firearms & quick as we could trudged through some steep, deep snow covered hills & draws.

Once we crested the ridge[about 10 minutes or so later]. Here came both hounds back, slowly slogging along. Both hounds had blood plastered from the their head/face, down to their ankles. Bitten & slashed about the face, neck & upper chest areas.

We tended to the hounds best we could. Then we went over the rise, hoping to see a battered wolf. Wolf was gone, all we seen were battered hounds. They'd had their fill of wolf fighting.

Last edited:
Without question the wolf, It dosen't matter how game, or how much the pitbull lives for battle, the wolf would both overpower and out quick him

Tactical I was waiting for someone to bring that up. Pits were fought against everything from bobcats to lions in the box for sport. Wolf type dogs dominated the fighting arena until the bulldog came along. A wolf is a hunter, a bulldog is bred to catch and fight animals more than 3 times his own size.

Back