Receiver hitch mounted spotlighting/hunting chair.

cm250

Daughter got a different set of wheels, so I get her 1995 GMC S-15 4x4 Jimmy for my hunting buggy/back and forth to work vehicle to keep mile of my 04, 2500 4x4. Want to build a varmint hunting/spotlighting set up to work in the receiver hitch. Got some ideas, but would like to see what others have built/seen if you have pics.
Thanks
Tony

We cannot use high-chairs where I live, but I have always been intrigued by the designs some guys make. I remember a very unique design a few years back the mounted into a hitch recieved and had two outriggers that clamped th the roof rack some how. Try a search you may find it there, the guy would post pics at different levels of completion..

I hope this helps,
Jeremiah Weber

Since my truck has a tonneau cover, had to go w/hitch mounted chair. Built this one using a boat seat. Rifle rest bent by an electrician friend. Added boom to lift heavy game & spotlight mounts under rifle rest and swivels to point w/rifle.

The beauty of receiver mount is I can switch from truck to jeep in a couple of minutes.

Early picture on the truck showing light but before chain/turnbuckle stabilizers:

100_1559.jpg

Later version w/stabilizers and game hoist:

IMG_0862.jpg

HuntingAlbum125.jpg

On the jeep:
IMG_2753.jpg

IMG_3355.jpg

Discovered one problem w/receiver mount and that is there is a very slight play between receiver and the 2" male portion of chair which fits into receiver. This very slight play is magnified by 3' or so of base causing chair to move enough to cause problems w/shot off of rest. Overcame this by adding a couple of chains w/turnbuckles to outside of vehicle.

Hope pictures show enough detail to be of help.

Regards,
hm

This picture shows the chain setup in more detail. Note the eyebolt just below foot rest and large turnbucle down to the pin that holds chair in receiver. I loop a short chain over both ends of pin and connect turnbuckle to pull chair forward to take up vertical slack.

Found that one chain/turnbuckle from same eyebolt to bottom of bumper at outer end on each side stops side to side movement. The lower chains pictured are no longer used as they were not necessary.

IMG_1597.jpg

Forgot to mention the truck has an electric winch in bed and jeep has one on back bumper for game lift.

Regards,
hm

thanks hm1996, very close to what I have in mind on building. Figure the Jimmy will be about like on the Jeep, how stable and steady is it? Stable enough for 100-150 yds shots at night? Your stabilizers are exactly what I had in mind to reduce side to side sway. Had planned on building mine a little taller. Was planning on about 4 ft to the foot rest and then the chair about 18" or so above that. What did you use for a swivel? I have a wheel/spindle hub assembly that I plan to use. Boat seat swivels seem to drag to much and make noise if not consantly lubed.

Have made a number of 100 yd day/night shots on coyotes and bobcats and a few daytime out to 200 yards. You pick up a little movement on windy days from springs; also if riding and stop for a quick shot sometimes have to wait a second for shocks to catch up and settle down.

Your wheel spindle and hub should do fine. I agree the boat swivels are a bit light duty for use on hunting chair.
I had an old swivel chair from the galley of a WWII liberty ship with cast steel swivel and bolted it to boat seat.

The height of seat cushion on my chair is 5' on level ground. The higher you go, the more movement will be multiplied.

One thing I forgot to mention is that you do need a seat belt if you plan to ride the chair from stand to stand as you can have a pretty rough ride on rough terrain.

Good to have hand held radios for communication w/driver, as well.

The higher you can put your braces, the less spring you will get @ the chair. You might think about running side braces to your back door hinges. I bolted angle iron to bolts holding bumper to bumper brackets and put eye bolts on the angle iron to attach chains.

Have fun building your chair. Mine has evolved over the years to include the game hoist and a spindle to hold 200 yard spool of 3/4' poly rope used to drag larger animals out of mud/water.

Regards,
hm

Back