coon traps

jlutcher51

Well I've never trapped before and planning on trying my luck with some coons next fall. I found the egg traps online and was wondering if anyone has had luck with these and if they would be a good trap to learn with

Last edited:
A guy on the trapperman makes ones that are better than the dog proof Griz traps. TexA is his handle, good price, too. I don't have experience with the egg one, I think he has tried them, you could ask him.

if your just starting out, I would stay away from the egg trap. they are a pain to use, you need special tools to set and remove the coon from them.

If you need a dog proof trap, I would go with Lil' Grizzes, they are the best dp out there. if you don't want to spend a bunch of dough on traps and you will with any of the special made DP's out there, I would get some Duke 1.5's footholds and use them, coons are easy to trap and a good thing for a beginner to start out with. if you need any other help, just ask, I'll gladly share my 35+ years of trapping experiance. good luck and happy trapping.

Tac20, nothing person too you, but I wouldn't recommend Trapperman to any new trapper. that site isn't what it was 5 years ago, now its just a group of wannabe's that think they can trap and bully all new trappers that ask questions. Trapperman is the worst site for any trapper to visit let alone join.

Last edited:
gee woody......that's where I find out what is going on in the world...trapping or otherwise.

Still some good info. there. Some of it does have to be evaluated though. I hope the new one's are getting the help they need there or elsewhere.

Wifie and I just had a discussion again today about trappers and ego's and.....marketing and.........

take the good info. you want, crap can the rest ...go trap and have fun.

I truly enjoy taking new people on the line (esp. kids) and watch the light bulb "click" in their head when they realize "hey, I can do this".

I also learn something every time I am on someone else's line. It may be something small or seem immaterial, but the seed of a better or quicker way of doing something is formed.

SORRY to Hi-jack..

Egg trap-no experience, but understand it like Jeff Erwin said. There are much easier to use traps out there (the grizz) Some new dog proof traps on the way to increase the competition- all for the betterment of trappers.

I look back at some of the methods and equipment I started with and think WOW ! Times have truly changed for the better in trapping.

Oh...and hey I'm a wannabe more than I'll admit. my work schedule won't allow me to trap like I would like to. Of course my trapping doesn't pay the bills either......

Last edited:
Actually there are guys on there that know a lot more than the ones on here, no offence intended to anyone, here. There are a lot of guys on there from out west that trap everyday, that kind of experience is hard to beat. There are a lot of wanna bes on there, you just need to ignore them, and listen to the good experienced ones. Many are beginners on there, it is easy to spot one, for me it is. I nearly quit the site due to slammers and mouthy people, mainly I only answer questions that I have something to offer, or to correct a mistaken statement on trapping.
I think the only reason I am still there as often as I am, to pm people that are good people.

A dog proof trap would be a plus because we are aloud to run hounds on deer and I just don't want to trap anyones dogs. I guess I could use a regular stye foot hold trap and just make my set ups in places a hound shouldn't venture. I do however like the thought of a regular trap just because there is the possibility of trapping a fox or bobcat the area I plan to trap is a 400 yard section of a swamp on my property and bobcats and foxes are in this area too

You will have to make the decision. Either try to work around the "dog use season" (if possible) or try dogproof or dog resistant sets.

Some places are not worth the trouble for me to set- dog hunters, people traffic, etc..., but you can't catch them if you don't set the traps.

Free running dogs- depends on your landowners, hunters, and county laws.- The dog warden would get a lot of calls to pick-up strays and deal with them.

Well dog use season is in from the third week of november to the first or second week of january so working around the season would cut down most of our fur bearer season

forget trapperman, to many people that just want to bs and not help. as for traps get some duke #1.5s, they are cheap and will get the job done also anyfishy bait is good, if you bowfish or fish for carp cut them in cubes and keep them

Preset at the fur shed before going out.

the same can be done with the Lil Grizz or the Trapmaster DP.

Personally, I would get one of the above traps and forget the egg trap.

He asked for info and advice, and thats all I am giving him, as far as I am concerned, the egg trap is the worst DP out there. there are better DP's out there for a beginner to learn with.

and tell me Linvol, why should I buy a trap that I need a special tool to set it with or have to have a special tool to remove the coon in it???

They make a tool to set grizz trap to . Not everyone can set them by hand but you can set the trapmaster by hand and have some loses to, not my first day trapping either.

Back