Coyote traps.

gonzmg

I have not trapped since I was a very little kid. I use to go out with my dad. I am going to set a few traps out for some coyotes and I need some help selecting the best traps for coyotes. I will be trapping in New Mexico just so you guys know. All information will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
Montana Specials #3's. one of the best coyote traps out there. Just set the pan and go, no dog to get ate up, no baseplating and 4 coiling to deal with, just set the pan, clean and wax and go put in the ground. and they wont rape you for a dozen like MB's and Bridgers will.

Last edited:
when you get tired of re bending dogs and pans... remember that people tried to tell you to buy MONTANA SPECIALS...LOL

Originally Posted By: ksboy2when you get tired of re bending dogs and pans... remember that people tried to tell you to buy MONTANA SPECIALS...LOL

ksboy2 rod dogs take care of that and you can also set the trap with the dog at 6:00 and have no bent dogs.

or take a montana out of the box and set it with the dog pointing "who gives a flip" lol and no worries

i should not be arguing this... i run dukes.. hahahahahaha

my understanding is a piece of wire or "rod" welded on top of dog to strengthen.

To each his own. I would like both, but have Bridgers and they work well when and if I ever set them...haha....next yr.-too many yotes around here.

Rod dogs look like this:
Picture013-2.jpg

well mr r'runner.. i cannot argue with you b/c i have never run any bridgers... tried to buy them a few times but couldn't afford them...LOL

I know you guys know this but both Bridger and Montanas are a imported copy of the great Montgomerys.One with a dog or dog on and one dogless.I have some montys both ways and some Montanas no Bridgers.I think I get more small critters (less pan tension) in the dog on traps, Also get more solid whole foot catches with the dogless.When I first tried the dogless I set in a high thieft area.I considered them junkers odd balls I picked up on ebay.Now if I set a coyote trap it,s dogless! Either way Bridgers or Montanas they are both a copy of the same trap. MONTGOMERY!

Interesting JeffJ, you say better holds in the dogless? Yet you run less pan tension with a dog on? I would say look at that as the issue on deeper pad catches!!!

I run sterlings and bridger #3 fully modifieds I get deep holds in both with coyotes becuase of pan tension, for coyotes I believe through the results I have witnessed with alot of coyotes that 3 LBS or a little more helps with cacth rate and also lessons non targets as well. I use PIT pans on my bridgers and love them, built in pan tension and 4 coiled a little more. I have some pics of very deep catches and elbows in both!

I have some montanas but I don't like the over sized levers and also the smaller jaw spread. FWIW

Back