MARS?

youngdon

Well I read today that Obama lama ding dong says that Americans will be going to mars within his life time. I hope that he is going to pay for it personally. I know that we have learned a lot from the space program (mostly how to waste money) but holy crap what are we going to do on mars, we sure as [beeep] didn't do anything on the moon(if we were really there)Oh wait we planted a flag and hit a golf ball and left a multi million dollar rover as well as a bunch of hardware, I forgot we took some really sweet pictures(see above). Could we not just try to pay for the crap we started first, then we'll talk about mars. It sounds to me as though the Secret Service came to him and said "Mr. President we need to check out your anus. And he replied,"No thats to far the people will never go for it lets go to mars instead. Sorry I'll quit my rant now, and go kick the neighbors cat. Mars really?

Didn't the space race fuel all kinds of beneficial technology we also used here on Earth over the course of history?

Here are just a few:

# Cordless Power Tools and Appliances
# Smoke Detector
# Clean Water for the Home
# Home Insulation
# "Cool" Laser Heart Surgery
# Space Telescope Looks for Cancer
# Body Imaging
# New Arms and Legs
# Infrared Thermometer
# Light emitting diodes (LED)
# Composite Forceps
# Pill-Sized Transmitter
# Chromosome Analysis
# Digital Mammography
# Camera on a Chip

It would stand to reason that further exploration would also yield more innovative technology. Sorry for adding some information that goes against the grain.

tmdsu10041520100415094136.jpg

Originally Posted By: HyperwrxDidn't the space race fuel all kinds of beneficial technology we also used here on Earth over the course of history?

Here are just a few:

# Cordless Power Tools and Appliances
# Smoke Detector
# Clean Water for the Home
# Home Insulation
# "Cool" Laser Heart Surgery
# Space Telescope Looks for Cancer
# Body Imaging
# New Arms and Legs
# Infrared Thermometer
# Light emitting diodes (LED)
# Composite Forceps
# Pill-Sized Transmitter
# Chromosome Analysis
# Digital Mammography
# Camera on a Chip

It would stand to reason that further exploration would also yield more innovative technology. Sorry for adding some information that goes against the grain. MARS? REALLY?? I think I said that we learned a lot. Could we, would we, have not come up with a lot of these things right here on terra firma.

Ponder this. Someone on this planet will return to the moon (or go the first time
grin.gif
), go to Mars, and then venture beyond. That entity (country, company, whatever) may control vast areas of space, the ultimante high ground (nmleon's term
thumbup1.gif
). Would you rather that be China, Russia, or the U.S.? I vote for us.

cool.gif
Right on! Key terrain in any conflict/battle is almost always the 'high ground'; specifically, the military crest of those mountains.

cool.gif
We really don't want to even share that advantage if we can help it!

Good hunting!

How bout we chip in for a one way ticket for Obama to visit Mars? Never mind, I just realized that would put Biden in charge and Pelosi that much closer to the top position! Bad idea!

We had better have a manned space program, or else start learning Mandarin. The Chinese ARE going to the moon, not as a photo op, but as a permanent presence. That's what we originally had planned before Kennedy decided we needed to get there NOW, even if we couldn't stay.

Youngdon is substantially right that we accrued little benefit from the Apollo program that we couldn't/wouldn't have gotten without it. The reason he is right is that the program was never designed to establish a permanent presence on the moon (as NASA had planned before Kennedy's intervention).

It would be better for everybody if we made the permanent presence on the moon (and beyond) international. A joint venture would allow all nations to watch each other and would make it difficult if not impossible for anybody to gain that "high ground" military advantage.

We (mankind) needs to establish a strong presence on the moon first though. A mars mission from earth would make our Apollo missions look like chump change, and wouldn't result in much more (relative) benefit to society.

Almost all of the cost of any space program is in getting men and materials out of the "gravity well" of Earth into orbit. With a permanent presence on the moon, virtually all of the materials needed for further exploration/exploitation could be gotten on the moon itself, and with only 1/6 the gravity of Earth, getting into orbit from the moon is a piece of cake.

With mining and manufacturing on the moon, mankind would quickly see enormous financial benefit. Solar or ionic power generation beamed to earth on micro waves would be cheaper than dirt as just one immediate for instance.

Back