Howling for coyotes

Most of the links to sounds that I posted earlier in this thread have been lost. There is a lot of talk about coyote language out there, which is good but can also confuse a guy. The two most important coyote sounds to use when calling coyotes to the howler are the lonesome howl and the pup squeals. Here is a link to one version of a lonesome howl http://www.cronkpredatorcalls.com/sounds/lonehowls.mp3
and here is another http://www.cronkpredatorcalls.com/sounds/moldedHwlrlone.mp3
pup squeals http://www.cronkpredatorcalls.com/sounds/moldedHowlerPup.mp3

Does anyone know about what volume level should be used if using a siren to locate the dogs?? My friend and I went out last night using his Fire Siren. I tried to muffle the siren some (stuffed a t-shirt in the horn and turned it upside down on the ground) because it was so ear piercing from ten yards away, this seem to really help however it was still loud enough to carry through the valleys here in Eastern West Virginia. We know the coyotes are traveling this area very heavily from the amount of tracks and droppings they are leaving behind. We just aren't having any luck on trying to locate them.

Out west, my experience has been that I don't usually get a vocal response when I howl, except from rancher's dogs maybe almost a mile in each direction. That doesn't mean there's no coyotes, they still come in.

In fact, it seems when I do get a vocal response from coyotes, they don't usually come in. That's just my experience. Also, I don't get one coyote to verbally respond back to my howls, it's either several dogs or none of them.

The coyotes in my area are not very vocal but do howl when the cities 9:00 whistle blows.. I have gone out and located them at nite by howling and just use a lone howl and howl twice and wait 10 minutes then move on. One thing i found out when out locateing that not all howlers are equal. For my coyotes i found that the howlers that are a little more higher pitched get more responses than other howlers i have that are on the lower side.. if you have a couple different howlers give them all a try and see which one the coyotes prefer to answer to. One howler i have very good luck with is the Ed scerry howler.. Good luck..t.a.

Hey Rich went out with Al Prather sunday night and got to hear your howeler.Man that thing sounded great.We had yotes howling back at us all over the place.That will be the next purchase for me and a couple of my buddies.Guys I am telling you if you need a howeler ask mr. cronk abiut his new one he has out and man it is small but the yotes love it,

I would like to put in a plug for Richs' cowhorn caller. I have own and it puts out a nice loud howl, a howl that seems to carry better than my other howlers. Great for those windy days. I just got back from Nebraska and had a few days of high winds. The cowhorn was the only call I used during those days, with a foxpro as a secondary call.

If you are scouting for coyotes, a great sound to try is red fox pups or red fox in distress. They will come to these sounds and react very aggressively...

Originally Posted By: JstrosniderDoes anyone know about what volume level should be used if using a siren to locate the dogs?? My friend and I went out last night using his Fire Siren. I tried to muffle the siren some (stuffed a t-shirt in the horn and turned it upside down on the ground) because it was so ear piercing from ten yards away, this seem to really help however it was still loud enough to carry through the valleys here in Eastern West Virginia. We know the coyotes are traveling this area very heavily from the amount of tracks and droppings they are leaving behind. We just aren't having any luck on trying to locate them.

I'd like to revisit this issue of using a siren. I tried (More times than I can count.) unsuccessfully to get responses from coyotes (locating packs) with a lonesome howl. Then I read about using a siren. I bought a mini-siren and gave it a try. It elicites a response more often than not. It has a volume control (1-10) from full(ear piercing!) to very low.
I am thinking of using the siren several hours before daylight to locate coyotes on the same day that I will hunt(call) at daylight. By doing so I will KNOW that coyotes are in the area I am calling. The howling I do while hunting will be different from the siren so I am thinking that having used the siren just hours before will have no negative impact when I call at dawn. Have any of you done this? Your thoughts?

Originally Posted By: Rich CronkMost of the links to sounds that I posted earlier in this thread have been lost. There is a lot of talk about coyote language out there, which is good but can also confuse a guy. The two most important coyote sounds to use when calling coyotes to the howler are the lonesome howl and the pup squeals. Here is a link to one version of a lonesome howl http://www.cronkpredatorcalls.com/sounds/lonehowls.mp3
and here is another http://www.cronkpredatorcalls.com/sounds/moldedHwlrlone.mp3
pup squeals http://www.cronkpredatorcalls.com/sounds/moldedHowlerPup.mp3

+1!!!! This combination has been dynamite for me this year...

After all of the nice things you guys are writing about my calls, I may just have to come back here more often.
smile.gif
I'm glad they are working for you.

Originally Posted By: NY Yote hunterHas anyone ever used the Foxpro Coyote locator howl with any success?

My son and I got our 1st coyote couple weeks ago with an FX3 and a JIB starting with the locator call. Started at 540pm and dog was down at 545, might have just been right place at the right time, but it worked for us!

Mark

I usally stick with distress calls, but Im going to give the howling a try. Now what Is the best time of day to get them with the howls? Also I located a few yote the other day useing some howls If I go back there will they more than likly be In the same general area?

I usually start howling around Jan/Feb I have called 3 using a combo of distress/howling. They say yotes are pretty territorial come this time of year, so I try to use a more high pitch howl to more simulate a female/young dog.The ones I have called in with this combo never howled back before they came in.

You can howl at any time, coyotes don't know what day it is let alone what month it is. If you use the correct howl, it will trigger their territorial defense instict to come to defend their turf, (food source).

Back