NEW Shotgun Pattern Test Results - Detail & Pic' heavy...

I'm thinking the wngmaster #2's would be an ideal fox load because of the pellet count. Out of both chokes it had a big empty area in the center of the pattern. This would mean it is over choked, correct?I'm going to pick up some more and try my mossberg 930. I have a briley improved modified, light modified and the stock chokes.

Did some patterning with some more wingmaster bb 1 1/2 oz and wingmaster 2, 1 3/8 oz using a mossberg 930 with briley IM, LM, stock full and mod. Best I came up with was the BB at 50 yards. 13 hits in an 8" circle, 15 hits in 10".
b6f9f91a.jpg

Takem,that patternmaster and the rem hd t shot sounds like it would be a great coyote killer.
Like you stated it may be a little open for fox but looks like good coyote medicine.
Id use it.
Fox are really soft and seem to die easy,i think that you might have good luck with a #4 heavi shot turkey load,that should provide you with the pattern density your looking for and i think that heavi 4s shold do the trick at anchoring a fox no problum.

Turkey loads might be worth a try Ontario Caller. I picked up another box of wingmaster 2 in a different shot charge, 1 1/4 oz. I'll try something different each time I go to the range. I don't think I'll find that magical 50 yard load for fox but I'll try to find a devastating 40 yard. I don't think the bb in the pic is any good. Huge holes in the pattern in the brown paper. It won't be consistent. Ordered a bunch of parts for my rem 870. If I get it working good I'll try it too. I have a Remington turkey xtra full for it but it says lead only so I probably shouldn't shoot high density loads out of it. I got some really good patterns out to 50 yards using lead turkey loads out of it. So far I'm getting better patterns out of tighter chokes with the high density. Maybe i'll order a choke.

Takem,if your going to order a choke i have had my best results from a puregold .670 choke in both my remington and my brownings.
It seems that chokes in the .670 to .680 constrictions for most shotguns,outside of overbored mossbergs tends to be the best.
I think the primos deaddog choke is.675 and kicks makes a .680,i know others here have had good luck with both those chokes.
I want to try something myself in the .675 to .680 range in the future to see if i can improve on my currant setups,though i am happy with the performance of the .670 puregold.
This kind of testing becomes addicting and becomes a never ending search for a better wheel but hey we all like shooting guns and i really enjoy pattern testing,its fun not to mention very interesting.
Shotguns are like women,no two are exactly the same and finding one that you really like is never that easy.

Thanks Ontario caller. I've spent a lot of time patterning steel for ducks but this is much tougher. I would like to find out the constriction on the dead coyote chokes. They seem pretty popular and the price is right. I would think it falls somewhere in the .670-.680 range. It would be nice to get some good patterns out of my 870 because I don't use it for anything so I could put a thumb hole/pistol grip turkey stock on it and have a dedicated fox gun.

what do you all think about using "steel" shot for coyote. I know steel usually comes in faster FPS. does it have enough energy to drop 'em? I have lots of BBB, and #3 shot, is that good enough as well? (in steel)

Generally speaking steel isn't a great choice. At closer ranges that fast steel with large pellets could get the job done. However, at longer ranges it lacks the density for good penetration on animals as large and tough as coyotes. There are MUCH better choices available.

Got my 870 fixed and put a dead coyote choke in it. Don't know what the constriction is but I can't fit my choke wrench in it. Same wrench fits in my xtra full turkey choke. Got my best patterns yet. I think I finnaly found the elusive 50 yard load. I'll do more testing over the summer. This will be for red fox. Wingmaster #2's, 3", 1 1/4 0z. I also tried it in 1 3/8 oz but didn't get good results with that. With the 1 1/4 oz I was getting 25 pellets in a 10 inch circle at 50 yards. Surprisingly I was only getting a few more pellets in the pattern at 40. It was pretty consistent. I did find that a dirty gun does not pattern as well. Quick swipe with the cleaning rod and it was fine. Have you guys found the wingmaster ammo to be consistent from box to box? I'll pattern one out out of each box I buy to be sure. Price seems to of come down. 18 bucks a box.

Last edited:
Looks like you have a winner, congrat's on taking the time to find a good combination. Most guns do pattern better from a clean bore vs. a fouled one. Generally they'll shoot well enough for a half dozen or maybe ten shots but then for best results they need a cleaning before the next hunt. So far for me the Wingmaster HD-BB's have been very consistent, but once I found the magic combo I then bought ten boxes and they all came from the same lot number. So, I honestly don't have another lot to compare them to... yet.
smile.gif

I bought another box of the wingmaster that patterned good. I noticed the new shells are crimped differently. I'm guessing it will pattern different. I'll try to get to the range this weekend. If it does pattern different I'm going to pull my hair out. I'm seriously going to throw a hissy fit and cry.
photo-51.jpg

I too will be going back to the patterning board myself.
I have on the way three new chokes coming from pure gold.
Tesing will be done on a pure gold .670,.680,.696 and an extended modified water fowl choke as well as a carlsons dead coyote tube.All loads will be shot through a browning maxus invector + chokes 3.5 inch chamber.

Currantly i am still waiting on my ammo order but i have the following coming to test out.
Remington 3"hd bb
Remington 3.5"hd bb
Hevi shot deadcoyote 3" T
Hevi shot deadcoyote 3.5" T
Winchester 3" B extended range coyote load
Winchester 3.5" superx #4 buck
Winchester 2.75" superx #4 buck.

I wanted to also test out the remington hd T shot,The new federal hd bb coyote with flight control wad and the hornady #4 buck as well but my suppliers could not get them for me at this time.

The federal heavyweight coyote bb load with flight control looks really interesting,i was hopeing to get my hands on some to test but unfortunatly the load has not been passed at this point by enviroment canada as a non toxic load so i cant get any right now.My dealer told me however that it will pass and be available in canada in the future,right now its tied up in red tape.Bummer.

When all the supplies arrive and i get some free time over the summer i will do some patterning and post up my results.
I am excited to see the results of some new and old loads through some new choke constrictions. I have high hopes for winchesters new extended range B load,thats really the only new load i will be testing.
All the others are all ready proven performers that may or may not perform better better through some new constrictions not previously tested by myself.
Hopefully i find something close to perfection this time around.

Originally Posted By: TakemI bought another box of the wingmaster that patterned good. I noticed the new shells are crimped differently. I'm guessing it will pattern different. I'll try to get to the range this weekend. If it does pattern different I'm going to pull my hair out. I'm seriously going to throw a hissy fit and cry.
photo-51.jpg

big relief. Patterned the same. Also got some great turkey load patterns out of the dead coyote choke.

Ontariocaller, I got some decent 40 yard patterns with the win extended range b. It seems like it would make a good fox load for me. I tried it with my nova/patternmaster. I'll have to give it a try in my 870/dead coyote choke. I like that they sell it in a 5 shell box. Easier on the wallet if it doesn't work out.

Finally got everything together and made it to the range today to do some pattern testing of my Benelli SBE w/Carlson Hevi-shot Dead Coyote choke (measures .660”)

Shot Remington and Fiocchi 2 ¾” #4 Buck

IMG_3532.jpg

Federal Coyote Heavyweight and Winchester Lead Game Load 3” BB, Remington Magnum Buckshot,& Federal Premium Copper Plated 3” #4 Buck

IMG_3537.jpg

IMG_3533.jpg

And Winchester SuperX Magnum 3 ½” #4 Buck

IMG_3534.jpg

May have to break down and add an optical sight but all shooting today was from sitting position off shooting sticks with the standard fiber optic front bead at 40 and 50 yards. Had planned to shoot 25 yards but didn’t get to it.

Targets have a 6” black center and measure 10.5” square and were placed on a 34” square backer.

Target pictures to follow.

All targets have a 6” black center and measure 10.5” square and were placed on a 34” square backer.
40 yard targets:

Remington 2 3/4" #4 Buck: 6 hits in black, 14 on center, 26 total:
IMG_3569.jpg

Fiocchi 2 3/4" #4 BK: 5 hits on center, 21 total:
IMG_3564.jpg

Winchester Game Load 3" BB: 18 hits in black, 33 hits on center, 78 hits total:
IMG_3558.jpg

IMG_3557.jpg

Federal 3' Cp Plt. #4 BK: 3 hits in black, 10 on center, 38 total:
IMG_3546.jpg

Federal Coyote Heavyweight 3" BB: 7 in black, 28 center,46 total:
IMG_3540.jpg