Coyote Hunting down South?

Zack Beam

Ok fellas. Iv been coyote hunting for a few months now. I recently purchased a foxpro and about to buy a decoy. I also bought 2 new guns. I have pretty good success calling. I have called a few In. Im looking to boost my sucess and knowlege. Now I hunt In Georgia, I usally will sit on a stand for 30-45min. calling every 3-5minutes for 30seconds-1 minute. I usally stick with the cottontail and jackrabbit distress, every once In a while Ill try pup destress. The first 20 minutes I usally call softly and then Ill turn It up If I havent seen anything. I try to play the wind the best I can. Now Is there something I can do to up my chances of calling In more predators? Open to any feedback. Thanks yall.

Hey lungbuster. You are on the best predator site there is. Look under calling in the East there is some good stuff there. If one doesn't come quick around here he isn't there. Move to another set up. I rarely sit in one place for more than 20 minutes.

How does that work out for you? I usually call low for 15-20 mins and if I havent seen anything then I turn it up for another 15-20 mins then move to a new spot. Whats your technique for calling them? Do you just leave your call running untile they come in or how do you do it? I usually call for 30 seconds to a minute every 3-5mins.

I don't call steadily for the whole duration, r0 seconds on, 30 seconds off and so on.I think that is just personal preference. I don't ever crank my caller up really loud as I think its just not realistic. Have you ever heard a real rabbit scream? Howling is louder. If they are close they will come quick. If not I leave after about 15-20 mins and make another stand. The window for calling successfully during daylight around here is short. I have called them in up til around 10:00 am and then little luck. The last couple hours before dark is good too. I like to make lots of stands where there is plenty of sign.
I have tried it all, loud calling, sitting on the same stand for an hour like they do out west and it just hasn't worked for me. I like to call where its really thick, planted pines and clearcuts are the best. I like to make stands on foodplots,firebreaks and woods roads. These areas have high concentrations of prey species and the thick cover also makes the coyotes feel comfortable about coming out in the daylight.

I will give It a try. Do you use a decoy? I recently purchased a FoxPro Spitfire. Thats what I will be using after turkey season. Iv been thinking of picking up a decoy as well.

Back