.223 Wylde

Dmcgee

None of the presearched AR threads work for me so I'm gonna ask yall. Explain .223 Wylde to me. Doesn't have to be super technical.

THanks Drew

Read through the threads posted above by sharkathmi. Mr. Wylde himself
chimed in on one of them about a year ago. That is about as authoritative as
it gets.

It is relieved in the case body to aid in extraction and features a shorter throat for improved accuracy. No politics involved.

It does not have a shorter throat. It has a longer throat so that the long VLD bullets can be seated out long for single loading. It's purposely designed for long range shooting heavy bullets without sacrificing case capacity.

Jack

Originally Posted By: ozzyIt is relieved in the case body to aid in extraction and features a shorter throat for improved accuracy.
Jack,
Not sure where you are getting your information, but the quote above is an exact quote from Rock Rivers catalog.
I'd tend to believe what Rock River Arms publishes in their own catalog.
Someone brings up this topic about once a year.
Mark

ETA: It's also on the web site.
RRA Predator Pursuit rifle

Right above the picture of the rifle there is a hot link that states:
What is a Wylde Chamber? Click it.

Last edited:
223chamberspecs.jpg

Originally Posted By: bigwheeler Read through the threads posted above by sharkathmi. Mr. Wylde himself
chimed in on one of them about a year ago. That is about as authoritative as
it gets.

Yep. I argued with some of the local "experts" here long enough that I finally got irritated and called Mr. Wylde himself so he could confirm my "theory". He did.

Longer throat than 223, shorter than NATO......

Here are the replys from Mr. Wylde:

Quote:Hello to all.

Just happened by this site and saw this thread.

It is hard to imagine that a few minutes on the phone with JGS in 1984 created what is now widely known as the Wylde .223 chamber.

This chamber was designed with many uses in mind. At the time, I was heavily involved in building AR-15s. Also involved in trying to make use of the then new 5.56 NATO ammo for target shooting in Canada.

Canada in those years "issued" all ammo for target shooting and the DCRA was interested in making use of the ammo that the Canadian DND had to offer.

Also, I could see possible use of the AR-15/M-16 for Service Rifle and Match rifle competition here in the U.S. The thought was that the military would manufacture a NM round similar to 7.62 NM ammunition. That didn't happen, but the chamber seemed to work well with everything.

I guess that Keith Francis (JGS) and I got lucky on this one. I did design another .223 reamer strictly for the 52 grain BR bullets. This reamer was the .223 Lantz BR. Although this chamber is not well known, it is very good for light, or short seated, bullets in an AR or bolt rifle.

Quote:This chamber was designed in 1984. Some time before the 80 grain bullets hit the scene.

This chamber shot SS-109 (62 grain) extremely well. I used this chamber and Canadian IVI 62 grain issue ball to place in the top fifteen of the Canadian Governor General's Match
(final 50) @ 900M in 1993. The other 49 competitors were using DA 7.62 NATO. No, I wasn't brave..........I only had one rifle. Not too many of those Gov Badges here in the central Illinois cornfields!

On the other side of the coin, the chamber works well with everything from the 52 grain BR bullet to the 80 grain Sierra.

Enjoy

Quote:What in the world is a .223 Wynde?

In 1984 Keith Francis (JGS) and I designed a .223 reamer over the phone. Must have taken about fifteen minutes. That reamer became what is known today as the Wylde .223 reamer. It could be called a match reamer, as it has been used in many match rifles, but to me just another reamer.

I have read many of the opinions and quotes on the internet and enjoy it all. Some opinions and some quotes are not correct.

From my experience, an 80 grain Sierra loaded to approximately 2.475" will touch the lands in my chamber. That round loaded in the NATO chambers I've seen would touch nothing.

I think Bigwheeler crunched the numbers and got it right. Being nothing more than a mechanic, I must use experience.

I've not read all this thread, but must say that you fellows get rather spirited.:)

It has been a long and cold winter. Forget the arguments and start loading for your particular chambers.

If you want a good match chamber for magazine length 52-55 grain bullets get a .223 Lantz BR from JGS. Ol' Keith and I worked on that one in the 80's and it is a good one.

Honestly folks, I’m not trying to stir any pot here. I’m just trying to get my head wrapped around all this "Wylde Chamber" once and for all.

After reading the chart EL posted (line N), and if I understand it correctly, it appears that the Wylde chamber is the longest throat (freebore) of all the various chambers, with the exception of the PTG 223 Rem. Match chamber. Agreed?

And when Jack says the Wylde chamber is longer, he is correct in that it is longer than ALL 5.56 chambers and ALL 223 chambers with the exception of the PTG 223 Rem. Match chamber....based off of the chart.

So….when RRA says the Wylde chamber is shorter they have to be referring to the PTG 223 Rem. Match chamber. Agreed? (That's crazy!!)

Quote:
2MG:
Yep. I argued with some of the local "experts" here long enough that I finally got irritated and called Mr. Wylde himself so he could confirm my "theory". He did.

Longer throat than 223, shorter than NATO......
Parts of this statement appear to be correct in that the Wylde chamber is longer than the Clymer 223 and the PTG 223 chambers, but it is shorter than the PTG 223 Rem. Match chamber. But the Wylde throat is longer (not shorter) than all NATO chamberings, based off of the chart.

Quote:
Quote from Mr. Wylde:
From my experience, an 80 grain Sierra loaded to approximately 2.475" will touch the lands in my chamber. That round loaded in the NATO chambers I've seen would touch nothing.
From this statement by Mr Wylde it appears that the NATO chamber is longer than the Wylde chamber, because he says "my" chamber, indicating to me he was talking about he Wylde chamber. This is in contradiction to the chart EL posted. This statement from Mr Wylde also corroborates 2MG's statement that the Wylde is shorter than NATO.

Is it possible that the chart is wrong?

This is all as clear as mud for me still.
It’s not that I really care, but this topic does come up about once a year and it never seems to get settled 100%.

EL, 2MG – care to explain it any further? Mr. Wylde....you out there?
It seems that everyone has parts of it right but the whole picture is still a little fuzzy to me.

Thanks for listening...
Mark

It's pretty simple. Look at the freebore diameter on the wylde. It is .224
the nato is .2265 or .2270. with a 1.2 or 2.5 degree throat angle it takes
a bit of travel to get down to bullet diameter. That is why the nato has to
be seated out longer to touch the lands. Go read the threads above this was
all gone over pretty good.

Last edited:
Quote:Is it possible that the chart is wrong?

It is possible, but I haven't ever seen anyone point out an error on it. Without having a reamer in-hand, I can't say for sure.

I mentioned exactly what you're pointing out in that old thread and got called every name in the book.
crazy.gif

Some of those reamers are pretty uncommon (like the PTG 223 Rem. Match), so I'm not going to say if those specs are 100% correct or not.

I'm going by what it says on the chart and "assuming" it's correct.

Back