squrriel hunting with a .22 mag with 30graind v-maxs

tntrapper

got out yesterday puting up some deer stands and seen a squrriel about 35yrds aways so i shot it with my .22mag with 30grain v-maxs and man o man i hit it where the spine hits the head and well wasnt much left ,, as any one else shot any with these

If you don't make perfect clean headshots, broadside, then you aren't going to have anything left to skin/eat.

What GC said. If you are just hunting for tails you can separate the squirrel from the tail pretty cleanly with the vmax.

If you want some squirrel and dumplings you will have to pick your shots.

Originally Posted By: Bill B.

or use 22lr

really they anit much left are they ,, theres one thing about it though it will sure knock one out of a tree
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: blutoOriginally Posted By: Bill B.

or use 22lr

Yup.

Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660just the title of the post made me think one thing....

SPLAT!

If you want more range on edible game get a 17hm2. Mine is on layaway! Your CZ 452 has a Ghost Ring ! What is that? I have a CZ 452 in 22 mag.

here's a pair i took today with my 22 mag broadside head shots on both as somebody else stated above, but then again thats the shot you want on a squirrel with a rimfire.using 40 gr. cci's

AlbumGroup21412.jpg

Get yourself some 40 gr. FMJ for your squirrels and you'll be alright. You can save your 30 grain grenades for woodchucks, fox and even behind the shoulder, double lung shots on coyotes. --- Mike

I use the same gun and bullets myself. After I picked up the first fox squirrel that I shot in the vitals, Well... I went to head shots from then on.

Originally Posted By: Mike PearsonGet yourself some 40 gr. FMJ for your squirrels and you'll be alright. You can save your 30 grain grenades for woodchucks, fox and even behind the shoulder, double lung shots on coyotes. --- Mike

I second that, I use my HMR with 20 grain FMJ's puts em down hard with a little hole in and little hole out...

i havnt used the remington ammo in it .sorry cant help with that.... the 30grain vmax and hollor points works good on yotes behind the sholder even in the shoulder ,i shot a dead yote i had skined out at bout 50 60 yrds with s 30 vmax the bullet was stucking out the other shoulder

Back