Help Me ID This Dog's Breed

5.56YoteKiller

Don't know where to post this one, so here goes.

This dog showed up around the house 4 yrs. ago and after trying to find the owner with no luck, I adopted him.

Here's a description.

He's 4' long, head to tip of tail.
26" tall at the shoulders.
Weighs approx. 140-150 lbs.

He got loose one day and I put a chain on him to bring him back to the house. Big mistake on my part. I weigh 235 and this dog dragged me over the yard like I was a rag doll. He is amazingly strong. Notice the vinyl coated cable for a collar? He breaks all leather and chain collars I've bought for him.

I'm curious as to what breed he is. BTW, his name is "Blockhead" for obvious reasons.

Can anyone help?

blockhead001.jpg

blockhead002.jpg

blockhead004.jpg

blockhead003.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a well fed mutt, his head is kind of blocky, maybe a bully breed in him. Other then that your guess is as good as mine.

I can't give you any help in identifying the dog but I would definately urge you to find a more suitable device to use as a collar. Think about the amount of pressure the cable is gonna pinpoint on one the dogs most fragile area by being so thin. I would look into another device that would better spread the pressure. Neck problems can show up later in life even if they are'nt very obvious now. Not trying to preach to you just pointing it out in case you were'nt aware.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: marlin4570I can't give you any help in identifying the dog but I would definately urge you to find a more suitable device to use as a collar. Think about the amount of pressure the cable is gonna pinpoint on one the dogs most fragile area by being so thin. I would look into another device that would better spread the pressure. Neck problems can show up later in life even if they are'nt very obvious now. Not trying to preach to you just pointing it out in case you were'nt aware.

He's a house dog....
wink.gif
And a great watchdog. No one comes and goes without him either hearing or seeing them. A guy walks down the road and for the life of me, I don't know how he knows someone is there, but he does.

I've tried everything I can think of with no success. Wide collars, chokers, leather, etc.

He either slips them, breaks them and otherwise destroys everything I've tried.

The cable is loose but tightens when he pulls extremely hard.
He now knows the limitation of the chain he's on and hardly ever tries to go past that point.

Any suggestions????

Last edited:
I have never seen a dog 6 and a half times taller than they are long! LOL

Looks like he could be part lab. Maybe.

I second the response about the cable. Cut back on the feed for that beast and you can afford a decent collar. Then you will have a properly attired thin dog.

Get a piece of chain similar to a choke collar and use heavy "S" hooks to attach it. Make sure all parts are heavy duty enough for the purpose at hand.

Originally Posted By: TimMI have never seen a dog 6 and a half times taller than they are long! LOL

I second the response about the cable. Cut back on the feed for that beast and you can afford a decent collar. Then you will have a properly attired thin dog.

I've never seen one either.

It's NOT a question of affording a collar. I'm not looking for advice about what to do about his size. He's muscular, not fat.

Just asking about his breed first, and second, a collar that'll work. A chest harness type is out of the question. I've tried them before.

Originally Posted By: 5.56YoteKillerOriginally Posted By: yfzduner450Here's an idea for a collar, it's even got a handle so you can control him without a long leash. I don't think he'd break out of this one. http://www.pitbull-store.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_4&products_id=12his one. Or they have some really heavy duty pinch collars that might do the trick.

He'll slip that off in a heartbeat.

Maybe your not putting them on tight enough. He looks like he has alot of loose skin, it may look tighter then it really is.

Just do a big a$$ choke chain, i've seen em' with 1" links.

no offense or anything yotekiller but that dog is WAY overweight judging by the pics!! hes a barrel , should be thinner through the flanks!! i raise akc boxers and have a male thats taller and just as long but doesnt touch yours on the scale and he(my dog) is a little fat!! you should always be able to see a their ribs if they are about the right weight!!! Originally Posted By: 5.56YoteKillerOriginally Posted By: TimMI have never seen a dog 6 and a half times taller than they are long! LOL

I've never seen one either.

It's NOT a question of affording a collar. I'm not looking for advice about what to do about his size. He's muscular, not fat.

Just asking about his breed first, and second, a collar that'll work. A chest harness type is out of the question. I've tried them before.

Pit Bull, Walker, Lab??????? look for webbing between toes
for the Lab it's a passed on trait.......
If you use a choker for a tie it needs a stop on it, just in
case he gets way excited it wont crush his throat in...

I'd also ditch that collar now. It has the real potential to crush his windpipe. A quality nylon collar is impossible to break and if fitted correctly, he won't be slipping it.

Kind of looks like a pitbull/something mix.
From his size, might be part pig ?

Just funnin ya.
Looks like a happy and well fed pooch.
I'm betting he's a [beeep] of a good guard.

Thanks for taking him in by the way.
Need more people around that will do that.

Randy

Back