APCalls DSG Camo Ghillie Suit Sneak Peak

AllPredatorCalls

I realize a ghillie suit is not for everyone, but for those who may be looking for one in the future, I thought I’d post a few pictures of our DSG (DSG – Desert, Sage & Grassland) camo ghillie. We have been working the design improvement, ghillie string length, and various ghillie string colors for sometime.

Thought I’d share these pictures as well as ask for design feedback from those who own the light weight over clothes string type ghillie's.

If you already own a over clothes type ghillies suit. Are there any design changes you would suggest? Biggest problem with the one you own and or the best aspect of the one you own.

My biggest issue was color and the minimal amount of ghillie string on most brands of suit. Seemed like the colors were not right for the area I hunted, and the amount of ghillie string on the suit was very sparse. As a retailer we buy the ghillie’s from various US suppliers, they varied in overall weight from 2.5 – 3.5lbs. The amount of ghillie string can vary by over a pound depending on brand. The retail price is was the same.

dsgcamo001.jpg

Long story short, we are working on our own brand of suit. These suits are designed for hunting and maximum camouflage affect. They will weigh in at 5.5 lbs – 1kg of additional ghillie material, but cost the same as the others.

dsgcamo002.jpg

ps we also have a WSG Camo (woodland, shrubs, and greenery) suit as well.

I got this one from you guys a year ago and I like it alot. But you asked so i will say that I wish the Base shell of the suit was Duller than it is. And the gun Ghilli I never use. I think that if you made it more for covering the scope,mid section of the Rifle like a glove I would like that better.
I dont see any thing wrong with the color at all. Keep up the good work.....Thanks Jeff
thumbup1.gif

AP,

Having bought and used one of the ghillies you said were needing improvement...I agree. It looks like you got the "hands on" done, and have a great product up and coming!
thumbup.gif

Kudos! It looks great!

Barry

AP,

Can you provide a closeup picture of the coloration? Hard to tell from the pics, as I need something very light colored with dark mix, with my terrain.

Thanks...Tony

cawwilson82,

Constructed with breathable camo underlining. Designed to be worn over jeans and t-shirt. Lightweight design for use in warmer hunting conditions. It is a complete suit with storage bag. Some features included. Elastic/draw string in pant waist. Easy snap closure on jacket. Vail/hood features adjustable chinstrap and open mesh camo that hides eyes/glasses. Includes rifle wrap. Fire retardant.

The ghillie material is synthetic fibers/string which are mildew resistant / no smells when damp / orderless non-allergenic /rot proof / hand washable. The suit will retail for $69.95.

Wallbass45, point taken on the rifle wrap. We will look at that area for improvement.

Misslebait, as for the sizes we have focused on the size and cut of the suits. Our aim as to have are cuts large and full to provide the ability to comfortably wear a sweat shirt under the top if needed. They will be big M/L or XL/2XL for American sized hunters.

Tony, I'll post a close up picture asap. The prototype suits are loaned out to some field testers.

Thanks for the comments.

AP

My opinion is that the suits need to be short. About mid thigh where you can wear them with out attracting every cuckleburr in the pasture. i have one now that is a great suit. I have had animals run right by me coming to the call, but picking those burrs out of the bottom is too much of a a hassle to wear it.

Got one last year and so far so good not to heavy. Only dislike is the head cover maybe its just me but I just cant see the best out of it.But overall great product.

I use the light weight one I bought through APC all the time.

Pros: light weight, color matches fine (in western sage/grass country, and forest as far as I'm concerned), IS big enough to fit over cold clothes (for me), base material is cool and breathable, snaps are WAY better than velcro and are quiet plastic. Oh, and the boonie has a nice width adjustment that I use often for whether I have head phones on or not.

Cons: face shield too visually restrictive, rifle drape is a pain, boonie needed more "back/side" neck material. Coat could be a little longer (forget the pants).

I cut off the face shield right away and used that material and the rifle drape material to make the hat better (I put lots of material on the side and back to break up my neck outline without blocking my vision. I used the stuff sack to make a bandana/mask (great pattern).

Here it is:
P3070045copy.jpg

Keep up the good work -- love your company.

TcCarter, I hope to be done with testing / changes soon and have then produced / availble for late summer.

Some have problems with the suits picking up burrs and junk. I agree, depending on the terain I wear only the top and head cover, and standard camo pants (normally there is enough ground cover to eliminate the need for the ghilllie pants), I also cut out the face net and wear a base ball cap under the head cover - it keeps the strings away from my eyes

ps these things really excel at fooling crows.

Thanks for the comments.

AP

AP,

I like the color & the added material.

But, like you said, the pants seem to be the magnet for the "cling-ons" that you get while hunting. I went to just wearing the jacket, like you did. (I still have the pants wadded up in the garage, full of brush...
blink.gif
)

Probably the best modification that could be made to appeal to all the hunters is to offer a Long Coat that comes with no pants at all, and length just below the knees. I hood attached to the long coat would be nice.

That's what I hunt with now, and will never go back to camo.

In my opinion, if you are going to bother with concealment, a ghillie suit is the only type of camo that works. It's also very handy the just wear your street clothes out to where you hunt, and put on a long coat ghillie and be hunting PDQ....then take it off for the ride home. No changing clothes to get in your camo.

I would probably buy 3-4 of those if they were avl., AP.... Too many times I find myself hunting with people that have marginal camo, or don't know HOW to conceal themselves when hunting.
The idea of camo is to break up the human form, and a ghillie is the only thing that does that effectively.

When wearing a ghillie, the ghillie is very forgiving of your movements as well. You can move around more in a ghillie without being busted.

Please consider the long coat with a hood. AS I said, I'd be a player for several of them.
thumbup1.gif

Thanks

Barry

Heres' a better look at the material and underlining.

100_0008a.jpg

3 string colors

100_0009a.jpg

Underlining

100_0002a.jpg

Massive amount of ghillie string material.

We are working on a knee length design as well.

Our woodland design has 5 string colors (more info to come)

Originally Posted By: rockinbbarAP,

I like the color & the added material.

But, like you said, the pants seem to be the magnet for the "cling-ons" that you get while hunting. I went to just wearing the jacket, like you did. (I still have the pants wadded up in the garage, full of brush...
blink.gif
)

Probably the best modification that could be made to appeal to all the hunters is to offer a Long Coat that comes with no pants at all, and length just below the knees. I hood attached to the long coat would be nice.

That's what I hunt with now, and will never go back to camo.

In my opinion, if you are going to bother with concealment, a ghillie suit is the only type of camo that works. It's also very handy the just wear your street clothes out to where you hunt, and put on a long coat ghillie and be hunting PDQ....then take it off for the ride home. No changing clothes to get in your camo.

I would probably buy 3-4 of those if they were avl., AP.... Too many times I find myself hunting with people that have marginal camo, or don't know HOW to conceal themselves when hunting.
The idea of camo is to break up the human form, and a ghillie is the only thing that does that effectively.

When wearing a ghillie, the ghillie is very forgiving of your movements as well. You can move around more in a ghillie without being busted.

Please consider the long coat with a hood. AS I said, I'd be a player for several of them.
thumbup1.gif

Thanks

Barry

ditto, that's what I need. I don't need ghillie pants, just a longish jacket/hood.

I dont know about others, Would there be any use for a longer coat as already mentioned but perhaps with some type of apron in the front that could be dropped/lowered once on stand?

Back