Failing schools are best shut down.

NM Leon

The Turnaround Myth
Failing schools are best shut down.

Like its predecessor, the Obama Administration is focusing its education policy on fixing failed schools. Education Secretary Arne Duncan calls for a "dramatic overhaul" of "dropout factories, where 50, 60, 70 percent of students" don't graduate. The intentions are good, but a new study shows that school turnarounds have a dismal record that doesn't warrant more reform effort.

"Much of the rhetoric on turnarounds is pie in the sky—more wishful thinking than a realistic assessment of what school reform can actually accomplish," writes Tom Loveless of the Brookings Institution. "It can be done but the odds are daunting" and "examples of large-scale, system-wide turnarounds are nonexistent."

Mr. Loveless looked at 1,100 schools in California and compared test scores from 1989 and 2009. "Of schools in the bottom quartile in 1989—the state's lowest performers—nearly two-thirds (63.4 percent) scored in the bottom quartile again in 2009," he writes. "The odds of a bottom quartile school's rising to the top quartile were about one in seventy (1.4 percent)." Of schools in the bottom 10% in 1989, only 3.5% reached the state average after 20 years.

Conversely, the best schools tended to remain that way. Sixty-three percent of the top performers in 1989 were still at the top in 2009, while only 2.4% had fallen to the bottom. School achievement, or lack thereof, is remarkably persistent, and California's worst schools were all the subject of numerous reform attempts in "finance, governance, curriculum, instruction, and assessment," writes Mr. Loveless, a former California public school teacher.

Similar interventions in Maryland, New Jersey, Ohio and elsewhere had similar poor results. Mr. Loveless says the reasons for this consistency need further study, though he suspects the answer may lie in a school's culture—its education DNA.

In any event, the reasonable conclusion is that children would be better served by closing these schools and starting new ones. In a recent article for Education Next magazine, Andy Smarick of the American Enterprise Institute notes that the most successful urban school models are run by charter organizations—KIPP, Achievement First, Aspire—that specialize in starting new schools.

The Obama Administration is nonetheless doubling down on turnaround strategies. Last year's stimulus bill increased the federal school improvement grant fund by $3 billion, and the 2010 budget calls for $1.5 billion more. Teachers unions, school boards and others in the education establishment object to closing even the worst schools, citing the loss of jobs. Teachers unions also worry that they won't be able to organize replacement charter schools, many of which don't operate under collective bargaining agreements.

The good news is that some bad schools are closing under the direction of reform-minded officials in some cities. New York Schools Chancellor Joel Klein has closed around 100 schools and opened more than 300 new ones. Detroit, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C. are attempting to follow suit.

The President and Mr. Duncan talk about being "data driven" and "following the evidence." In this case, the evidence argues against throwing billions more at turnaround schemes that fail as consistently as the schools they target

I love it. Failed schools,

What about failed parents, failier kids. I work in a school district and we have one school that doesn't make standards. Hmmmm the alternative high school, the school all the trouble makers are sent to and the gang bangers, the people that vote domocrat. Wow its funny blame the staff because of looser kids and parents.

Originally Posted By: Wa_Coyote_HunterI love it. Failed schools,

What about failed parents, failier kids. I work in a school district and we have one school that doesn't make standards. Hmmmm the alternative high school, the school all the trouble makers are sent to and the gang bangers, the people that vote domocrat. Wow its funny blame the staff because of looser kids and parents.

wow this guy sure is smart! He is my hero for sure.

Originally Posted By: Wa_Coyote_HunterOriginally Posted By: Wa_Coyote_HunterI love it. Failed schools,

OK
confused.gif

:)This probably OLD SCHOOL, but I do have some experience in doing School Resource Security (Armed Guard) at a large Alternative School complete with metal detectors and DI's to teach selected kids how to march and do close order drill as an incentive. Many will wind up successfully in the military I guess.

:)But since I attended/graduated from this same school system in l963, I know that the main thing missing is the ability of staff to apply the paddle to the behind of over the top unruly 'students'.

:)My spouse teaches in a school system where a lot of times she is assigned the ISS kids (disciplinary) because she worked the last 21.5 years @ a Penitentiary!

:)If teachers cannot control and discipline their classrooms, chaos and no learning prevails!

cool.gif
Good hunting!

Originally Posted By: sweatybettyOriginally Posted By: Wa_Coyote_HunterOriginally Posted By: Wa_Coyote_HunterI love it. Failed schools,

OK
confused.gif

go talk to a teacher they will explain it to you, what I am saying. Most of the schools that are failing are the kids that end up in jail do drugs and just party. If you go rent and watch the substitute movie you will see what I am talking about with those kinds of kids. There is no way anyone is going to learn anything in that enviroment. Only if they really could bring in tough teachers like that maybe it could change but it won't as long as there is no dissapline or the teachers are to high to care.

I do not doubt for a second that irresponsible parents (usually women not married to their children's fathers) play a huge role in why these schools are failing. That is a given.

But if one reads the article Leon posted, it is clear that blaming the bad parents is a dead end, not a solution.

Here is what we know from the article:

1. The failing government schools tend to keep failing;

2. That when success has been achieved it has mostly come where the bad schools were closed, the government-employed, unionized teachers removed from the picture and new schools started under the free market model.

Since we cannot change bad parents, we have to see what DOES work and what IS possible. And the answer to that is obvious: Privatization.

Yet, as the article describes, the teachers, via their union, resist this. By so doing they place their own financial interests ahead of what has been shown to work for these kids.

It is one thing if they cannot turn these schools around, but it is unconscionable that they would from self-interest block the efforts of those who have a record of success in this area.

To me that is the thing the government teachers really need to be ashamed of.

Allowing teachers to unionize was an incredibly foolish thing to have done. The cost of that mistake is incalculable.

Quote:the teachers, via their union, resist this. By so doing they place their own financial interests ahead of what has been shown to work for these kids.

The teacher's union has always pretended that their primary interest is the education and well being of our children.

That is not only a lie, it would be illegal if it were true. They are a LABOR UNION and the law says that their interest is limited to their membership.

Originally Posted By: jeffoTeachers don't have to belong to a union. that is just factually incorrect, other than a rightto--work state union membership is compulsory.

Privatization does work because then the welfare kids end up staying out of the schools. And only the parents who care send there kids there so then it does improve.
But that is because they take the trouble kids out of the picture. But you can't fix a school that is nothing but gang and drug kids, it just isn't going to happen. Unless they where allowed to really put some disiplinary standards in.

Why don't we let those troubled kids drop out and go into the work force. They will learn more and get out of the way .
Almost forgot ... Government won't let them..... ...Child Labor laws = out of control students who have no desire to sit in a classroom. ..

Originally Posted By: JavafourOriginally Posted By: jeffoTeachers don't have to belong to a union. that is just factually incorrect, other than a rightto--work state union membership is compulsory.

You're incorrect. At least here in Wisconsin, teachers don't have to belong to a union.

Originally Posted By: Wa_Coyote_HunterPrivatization does work because then the welfare kids end up staying out of the schools. And only the parents who care send there kids there so then it does improve.
But that is because they take the trouble kids out of the picture. But you can't fix a school that is nothing but gang and drug kids, it just isn't going to happen. Unless they where allowed to really put some disiplinary standards in.

Well put. "Government" schools have to take everyone. If you can afford it, send your kid to a private school, if there is one around. If you can handle it, keep your kid home and homeschool. Otherwise, let the schools take care of your problems. After all, your kid ain't your problem, right?

Back