V-Max or Nosler Ballistic Tip??

Kevin R

I have shot allot of coyotes with the 55gr V-Max in the 223 with good results. I just got some 55gr Nosler BT and noticed that they are boat tail, is there any big difference in the performance of the two bullets??

I just thought with the Nosler being boat tail might be a bit easier to seat when loading??

Thanks.

Kevin.

Quote:
I just thought with the Nosler being boat tail might be a bit easier to seat when loading??
I find this to be true, easier to seat.
Another difference is the VMax are thin skinned and expand quicker where the Noslers are reported to have a thicker jacket and folks have fewer splashes with the Nosler.
But I've never cut one apart to see for my self.
Which one shoots better out of your rifle? Or is there any difference?

two totally different bullets other than weight

Nosler BT is designed for "hunting" the V-max is designed for "shooting"

IMO

Originally Posted By: odawgptwo totally different bullets other than weight

Nosler BT is designed for "hunting" the V-max is designed for "shooting"

IMO

Not this particular BTIP, the 55 grain .224", as specified in his original post.

The .224" 55 grain BTIP is a sturdier bullet than the 55 grain .224" Vmax. At .223 velocities on broad side shots, expect exits more times than not.

The Vmax is a better killer in my opinion at velocities under 3200 or so.

Both are extremely accurate slugs, the Vmax is a little cheaper...

Make my bullet the Vmax please...

Last edited:
We shoot LOTS more Prairie Dogs than Coyotes and for us the V-max is the way to go. It is a more frangible bullet than the BT with a higher "red mist" factor on PD's. Accuracy seems to be about the same with one gun favoring the V-Max and another the BT. Also, less chance of ricochet with the more fragile V-Max.
Charlie

I killed a lot of coyotes with the 55g Nosler BT, even at 22/250 AI velocities.

If you are in the mood to save some money, you will find the 55g Hornady Sp to be extremely accurate also.

At 223 Velocities, the 55g Winchester Soft point is an excellent coyote bullet also with a very soft core, exits are not common with this bullet in the 223 loaded with 26.5g of Win 748.

The V Max and the Sierra Blitz king are very fragile bullets. When multiple yotes charge in, you will have shots that have to be taken hitting them in the rear. For this reason, I like bullets that will give some penetration. The 55g Hornady Sp, 55g Nosler, Sierra 55g spt, and 55g BTHP are all excellent for up the butt shots.

3400+ fps out of a factory 24" 223 using N-135, Laupa or IMI brass, thick cup primer getting very small group accuracy is completely attainable. I'm getting 3550 fps with 1/3" accuracy out of my custom with the 55's with N-135 powder.

The boat tail will help with bullet seating. Shot several coyotes with 55gr Noslers with great results. Only one pass through with an exit.

Originally Posted By: Kevin R
I have shot allot of coyotes with the 55gr V-Max in the 223 with good results. I just got some 55gr Nosler BT and noticed that they are boat tail, is there any big difference in the performance of the two bullets??

Thanks.

Kevin.

I think the V maxs just bust up too bad....However Hornady just like Nosler makes good bullets
I'd put a 75g V max or a 85g bal tip in a deer neck right now outa my 25-06, but I'd give the
nod to Nosler.
Oh and the boattails are a smidgeon faster and easier to reload for me anyways.....

It's all relevant to what velocities you are pushing the bullet.

The Ballistic Tip is a stanger constructed bullet and my not expand at lower velocities.

If you are shooting a 55 gr BT at say close to 3000 fps, you will probably experience pass throughs with little expansion, therefore you will have runners a spinners...I know I did. Quite a few of them.

In that case the V-Max works wonderfully.

If you are pushing the BT at velocities at 3250 or better then it's more reliable on predators. Perfect for a 22-250.

The V-Max starts to "splash" at velocities over 3200 fps...and again, you may get runners and spinners. It works great at 3000 fps though. Hammers coyotes & bobcats with very few exits & fur damage.

Just my experience.

Barry

I have mixed thoughts. My brother shoots the 55gr v-maxes and I shoot the 55gr nbt for yotes. He has had some spinners and runners. I have not had any with mine. He likes reloading the v-maxes but I don't. He can get better groups out of his with the v-max and I can get better groups out of the nbt. Both are shot out of rra predators both are loaded with h-335. But I did load up some v-maxes last summer because I was out and couldn't find any nbt. Will give them another try.

I know in my AR, I get alot better groups with the Nosler CT Ballistic Slivertips than the V-Max. I have not shot a yote yet so I can't say how they would perform.

I shoot both but through different guns. As rockinbar stated above use the nosler at higher velocities. I shoot a 55 gr. v-max loaded down so it is going just over 3000 fps and it is wicked on coyotes out of my .223.

In my 22-250 I've used both Hornady V max and Nosler Ballistic tips for coyotes. The V max seemed to require follow up shots more often than I cared for! The Nosler's did knock the coyotes down but required a lot of stitching to the hide afterwards. If I was just doing predator control and did not care about the fur then I would use the Nosler's. A Berger bullet is a much better choice if keeping fur IMO.

Back