central oregon cougar hunt camp

Camp is loaded, 4 days. Three hunters from PM have asked for camp location. Sure wish oregon hunters could make the time to learn how to kill cougars. A few are trying but very little intrest is shown to actually hunt cougar, most just complain how there is way to many. We will be 3/4 mile east of cabin lake campground on the 2435rd, map is posted just google it ( winter 2010 cougar hunt ) should find it

How did it go? I sorry I didn't know about this.. I live in Bend and I'm a new member here on the forum. This is the first year I've had a cougar tag. But very interested in learning about cougar hunting.

If you end up going out again. I'd be very interested in helping out and learning from you guys.

very low participation for the hunt. so cut it 1 day short. pulled camp at 5:00pm the 27th. I was on fresh cat tracks 4 times in the 8 days i hunted. called in a few coyotes but no cougar. last set was a pair of cougar hunting together, 1 mile west of highway 31 at the 32 mile marker.

To bad about the participation. I'm returning to Oregon on the 11th (on vacation) and was thinking about going up and cougar hunting that weekend in the Gates area. They've been spotting a cougar (cougars?) near there and was thinking about putting in a day hunt. It would be a perfect end to my vacation :)

Last edited:
The plan is to take 7-9 days every february and do a cougar hunt. At some point we will learn how to kill cougar on a regular basis

My birthday is Feb so I think thats a decent way to celebrate. I'll probably be up for it but thats a way's out to say for sure. I live over in Coos Bay so it's not too much of a jaunt.

I'm a new member too and I just came across this post tonight. Had I known about this "get together" I would have been there for sure....

I'm in Medford and we have a very serious Cougar problem down here too. The cats have all but decimated some of the finest Blacktail deer populations in the Southwest portion of the state.

If you guys do this again, count me in as an attendee. I hunted for many years with friends who have excellent bear and cat hounds. I'm fully aware what a travesty the hound hunting ban has done to the detriment of elk and deer herds in Southern Oregon.

They must have been running "nuisance cats".
Legal or not if it wasn't for dogmen , there would be way less game in OR,or any other state for that matter.

anyone wanting to team for cougar hunt contact me, have good outdoor skills, good health, will travel anywhere in the state.

I will say "prkrgrp" has outdoor skills, and is willing to walk. He was here hunting with me a few weeks ago.
He never complained, and was a fun guy to have around.
(Just remind him a rifle holds "5" shells for a reason)
confused.gif

Sorry PR, I couldn't resist.
thumbup.gif

Nice to see you postin some stuff on the board.

Originally Posted By: baltz526Porkupines have a job to do. They are the thinners of our forests.

My observation has been that the logging industry does a more than adequate job of "thinning our forests".
P-Pines and Rattle Snakes are the only animals I'll kill on sight and always will. Period

Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: baltz526Porkupines have a job to do. They are the thinners of our forests.

My observation has been that the logging industry does a more than adequate job of "thinning our forests".
P-Pines and Rattle Snakes are the only animals I'll kill on sight and always will. Period
So you support the endangered species act being used as a club, to beat down the sport of hunting. Porkupines and rattle snakes can be a problem to hunters, their dogs and timber production on private land. They can also be used as tools to reduce timber production and hunting by the anti-hunters/anti-logging lobby. Kill a cougar save a porkupine or 50.

Back