Pet 300 Win Mag Loads

xminerat

Anyone out there have a favorite 300 Win Mag load that they'd like to share with me?

I'm looking for a 165 or 180 gr load.

Thanks!

My hunting partner uses CCI 250 mag primer,Winchester cases, 70gr. IMR 4350 powder with a Speer 180gr. Spitzer bullet.

A friend had me work with his 300 WM in the TC Encore. Best we found:

190 Hornady BTSP
73.0grs H4831
.010" off the lands
Win Brass
CCI 250 Primer
Velocity 2938fps

It was under MOA out to 450yds which was the farthest we shot it. It was a max load from his gun so if you go that route start low and work up.

180gr Nosler Partition Protected Point
71 gr IMR 4350
Federal Premium cases
CCI Large Rifle Magnum Primers
3.365 OAL
I've been shooting this load for over 20 years and have used it from coyotes to Elk. I tried it in my wifes gun when we bought it and shoots almost as good as in mine so I haven't taken the time to work a better load for hers. Key

The new powder Hybrid 100 from Hodgdon's works very well in the 300WM just in case someone is interested. I was able to push 150gr bullets faster than factory and the primers were not as flat as the factory loads FWIW.

My sendero loved 75.5g of R#22, Rem case, fed 215 primer, bullet jamming the lands at 3100 fps (this is the accuracy load listed in the Nosler Reloading manual).

The best accuracy in my rifle was with the 180g Winchester Sp. vs the same weights in the Sierra, nolser, and speer bullets.

.300 Win mag Remington Sendero
180 gr. Sierra BTSP
Sierras max book load of IMR 4350
Federal 215 GGM primer
.010" off the lands

Makes for a very effective long range factory rifle. I don't need to quote distances but suffice to say it has some serious reach.

245 grain Rebated Boat Tail over 68grs Retumbo for 2690fps. Best agg. was 6.715" at the Fort Jackson shoot summer 2004.
John

Originally Posted By: pcammo245 grain Rebated Boat Tail over 68grs Retumbo for 2690fps. Best agg. was 6.715" at the Fort Jackson shoot summer 2004.
John

pcammo,

Would you please explain best agg. above? I'm not a competitive shooter, but I'm interested in knowing how well you shot & at what distances.

Thanks!

That match was scored a little different than true modern F-class, the equipment would today be considered open F-class.

Intro to F Class link

Back in those days, before the standardization, a wide variety of scoring systems was used. In that particular match, we had a 30 inch circle at 1000 yards. There were six relays of 10 rounds each. Your score was your max group size inside the 30 inch circle. If you missed the 30 inch circle then you dropped the relay. If you dropped more than one relay, you go home. my maximum group size for 5 scored relays (since I did not drop one, I was able to kick the largest group) was 7.615"....Boy, modern scoring is much better.

Last edited:
Most any 180g bullet, 75g RL22. Seems to be the ticket in a lot of 300's I've messed with.

If I had a 300 of my own, I'd mess with nothing more then the 200g AB, 208g AMAX, or 210g VLD.

The 300 is a very good big game and LR cartridge. It does everything very well...

longrange, 180gr Etip, cci250, WW brass, 80gr H1000. shortrange, hornady 220gr rd nose, CCI250, WW brass, 72gr IMR7828ssc. very hot, so work up.

Hey guys, I know this is an old thread but I just had a .300 win mag built and I'm starting to work up loads. I read on another forum that the 300 should be head spaced off the shoulder instead of the belt. Whoever the guy was said he had seperation issues when full length resizing or just neck sizing and implied it was a dangerous practice to do either. I reload for all my other calibers and just neck size after the first load (I keep my loads with thier respective gun). The belted magnum stuff is new to me though and this guy said a headspace guage and headspacing off the shoulder is a must with this caliber. Any advice would be great. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Back