Smoking Cheese

ozzy

If you have never smoked cheese you need to try this. I fired up 3 charcoal briquets and smoked the cheese for two hours with apple wood. It was nice and cold out "smoked this in early Feb", the smoker never got above 50* I vacuum packed them and let them mellow for at least 2 weeks. I actually smoked about 20 pounds so I have enough to get through the summer.
smokedcheese.jpg

I have never tried to smoke cheese, but I do love eating it. I have to ask, how much of a smoke skin did you get on the outside if you only got the grill to 50*??

It darkened the cheese quite a bit, with cheese and other things like salmon you want to cold smoke, thats why I only used a few briquets, it still puts out quite a bit of smoke. You need to let the cheese mellow for at least 2 weeks so the smoke permeates the cheese and mellows a bit.

I went to the local store last friday and they had 8 oz Natural Cheddar cheese blocks on sale for 2.05, so 3 of them just jumped right in the ole cart. As luck would have it, Saturday morning was really cold. When I got the charcoal going at a little before 9:00 it was 29 degrees outside. I had really good smoke going and then the wind picked up really hard, so trying to control the heat with the wind whipping around the house was not easy. Anyway, I let it smoke for right at 2 hours, was using hickory for the smoke. Next time I will go thru my scrap wood and get enough cherry to use. I always liked the flavor from cherry wood.

I was using my Holland Patriot grill, which is a charcoal grill with adjustable coal pan/ grill. I normally keep the coal pan all the way down and I raised the grill all the way up. I also set the charcoal on one side and had the cheese on the opposite side.

Update on the cheese. I forgot all about it, had to hide it in the fridge, so it has been mellowing in the fridge since the 3rd. I finally cut up one block yesterday. Very strong smoke smell when I opened the bag. Very good smoke flavor that isn't to strong.

I can see right now, I am going to have trouble keeping up with the demand.

Did I mention, I love smoked cheese. LOL

Originally Posted By: LeviSSDid you use a charcoal grill or a smoker? You could do it in either one. Just use something that will hold 2-3 charcoal briquets, that's all you need. Then just put some apple wood chips on it and smoke away for about 2 hours. Make sure your vents are all the open so the smoke doesn't build up, you want it to flow out easily.

Back