NEW Shotgun Pattern Test Results - Detail & Pic' heavy...

I would like to reload my own shells for dog hunting. Do you guys know of any place I can get the shot at. I looked at Midway but they dont have much in the bigger shot sizes.

I've been looking thru this post and am fascinated by all the different chokes out there. I am new to shotgunning coyotes, I've always used my 220 Swift or AR-15 for predator hunting. I had a friend invite me to go coyote hunting in the morning and he said I needed to bring a shotgun he has a few coyotes in the cedars by hishouse feeding on a dead cow carcass, and it's really thick. So I have a question regarding chokes for my Mossburg 835 ultimag, I currently only have the stock Mod, Kicks Mod, and the Kicks Extra Full choke tubes. I also have the Primos Jelly Head tube. What would my best choke be for the Federal Premium 3in #4 Buckshot, and the HeviShot Dead Coyote 3 1/2 in T shot?

Last edited:
T Murphy,you need to take those chokes and loads and do some patterning to be sure.
None of us can tell you whats going to be best,for what works in one guys gun may not work in the next mans.
Shotguns are very individuale in the way they peform,patterning is a must.

Originally Posted By: ontario_callerT Murphy,you need to take those chokes and loads and do some patterning to be sure.
None of us can tell you whats going to be best,for what works in one guys gun may not work in the next mans.
Shotguns are very individuale in the way they peform,patterning is a must.

Spot on! To not pattern your shotgun, chokes, and loads is like not sighting in your deer rifle, scope, and load before the big deer hunt of the year. Just doesn't make sense...

I finally picked up a .670 Kicks last year after reading all the posts above along with Rem's 3" HD BB's. I have to say its the best grouping combo out of my Beretta A390! I received 8 pellets in a 6" circle at 50 yards and 6 with my cheap favorite "3" copper plated Federal BB's" Not bad compaired to "1" at that range with my best old choke "dead coyote". I picked up a .680 Kicks from one of our posters and get 6 pellets of 3" Winchester #4 buck at 50 yards as well. The .680 gave 2 less pellets of each load listed above at 50 yards.

Originally Posted By: T MurphyNow that I'm back from my morning coyote hunt with my first coyote with a shotgun. Maybe I'll get to the range today to do just that.

So what load, choke did you use and how far off the muzzle was it when you took the shot.

This season I have been using a Mossberg 500 with 3 inch dead coyote loads in T shot. I patterned the load and had very nice patterns up to 50 yards. I went to gander mountain yesterday to buy another box, I am almost out and have a big contest this weekend and saw that they are sold out!!! So after reading this thread I am going to buy the Remington HD BB and pattern it. I will post my results later on.

My friend patterned 3" Remington wingmaster bb yesterday. This was the pattern from a IM choke at 40 yards. I drew a 12 inch circle around the center of the pattern. 26 hits. this would be prmarily a fox load. I think it's decent but could be better. He's going to try some more loads. What do you think?
photo-38.jpg

Do you guys think rem wingmaster #2's would make a good red fox load. Putting together my ammo list to pattern. Going to try some b, bb and T in multiple brands and shot charges. The #2's should be easier to pattern. At least it generally is when I pattern waterfowl loads. I'm going stick with the high density loads for now. May be too optimistic but hoping to find a 50 yard load. I used to have a 50 yard load with dead coyote and it was a great advantage for when they hang up.

I've shot #4 buck since it was legal here in IL. Picked up some DC the other day for grins and giggles just to try. Guys with the Wincester 1300's with 22" turkey barrels this is for you. All shots @ 40yds. 3 shot AV. Hits on a 12" circle. #4 Buck is Winchester 2 3/4 load. Dead Coyote is 3"..12ga.
#4 Buck skeet choke 0 hits
DC skeet choke 0 hits
#4 Buck .665 truglo AV 9 hits
DC .665 truglo AV 12 hits
I tested the skeet choke because I never tried it before. 2 interesting things to note. The DC could have done better, very "clumpy". Maybe too much choke. What really fascinated me was the #4 buck would 90% of time completely pass through the 2X4 frame (on its side). DC never passed through. Contradicted some tests here. I'm sure density had something to do with it.
Great thread

You had No. Four Buck completely pass through 1 1/2" pine? That is interesting. I've used my fingers only to pull it from 3/4" sanded and filled finish plywood at 50 yards. It was just sitting in the wood smashed out of shape and I just plucked it right out.

Honestly, I think that hard surfaced plywood would be tougher to penetrate than a soft pine 2x4 turned on the 1 1/2" side. I know that is twice as much wood, but those framing pine 2x4's are pretty soft. That high grade plywood filled and sanded on one side is pretty danged hard on the surface. Who knows really... I know they both kill coyotes just fine within reasonable ranges and considering a good pattern.

Did some patterning today. I used a benelli nova 12 gauge with an extended range patternmaster and a primos dead dog choke (.675 constriction). The ammo I patterned was
Winchester coyote B, 1 3/8 oz, 3"
Rem wingmaster T, 1 1/2 oz, 3"
Rem wingmaster BB, 1 1/2 oz, 3"
Rem wingmaster 2, 1 3/8 oz, 3"
too many pics too post. I ended up shooting all the ammo. I'm searching for a 50 yard load for fox. Not convinced I found it yet. At 40 yards 3 types of ammo patterned well out of at least one of the chokes. Wingmaster T out of the patternmaster seemed to be the best. At 40 yards I consistently got 18 pellets in a 10" circle. At 50 yards I consistently got 11 pellets in a 10" circle. I don't think 11 is enough for fox just because they are so small. Maybe I'm wrong. Any opinions?The thing I liked about the wingmaster T is I would get the exact amount of pellets in the circle everytime. Very consistent. I didn't get that with the Wingmaster bb for some reason. The BB varied from 18 pellets to 6 in a 10" circle and the poi was off in both chokes. I used large sheets of paper and a led sled type gun rest to take out as much human error as possible.

Back