Little scope = Little groups

AWS

Retired PM Staff
A lot of guys think I'm goofy for suggesting 1x4x20 scopes for predator calling.

Went to the range today to shoot a couple of sample targets for a rifle I'm thinking about selling, I know it's accurate and have used it for a back up on hunting trips and as a loaner I usually just shoot a few shells to make sure it's hitting the right spot. Today I put a little effort into it, want to impress any potential buyers.

Rifle Springfield 840 222 Rem in a Fajen stock

Scope Weaver K-3 Elpaso steel tube

Load 40gr NBT 25gr Benchmark

Shot the top group and buckled down and put a little more efort into it and shot the bottom group. I adjusted the scope so it would shoot to the left of the black so the group would show.

Springfield840001.jpg

Having second thoughts about selling it.

AWS

Nice group's! I would think a 1-4X would be good for calling. Coyote's are relatively big compared to a sage rat. And calling means getting them into to you. But even if they hang up about 300yds, 4X is plenty of magnification to take a good shot. I just retired a 1-4X Denver Redfield off a 6.5x55. Was no problem to get group's under 1" with it at 100yds.

Nice! Magnification dont really mean much if you have the right target to bracket the crosshairs for an exact aiming point everytime.

I have a Leupold vari x3, 2.5-8x36 on my rem 700 triple deuce which is the lowest powered scope on any of my rifles. Dont matter, it still shoots the smallest groups out to 200 yards, lol.

Back