Yellow Tail Wines and HSUS

youngdon

Yellow tail wines is planning on a $100,000 contribution to the HSUS. Please take a moment to drop them an email and let them know you will not purchase their products, because as we all know they are the leading anti-hunting group. Email them at info@wjdeutsch.com

I sent them a email that should get the message accross, even for a Aussie
smile.gif

YT wine is NASTY. Aussies don't drink it, the export it to us & laugh at us for being dumb enough to. So my friends in Sidney tell me.

Thank you very much for your email. We recognize that many consumers have commented on our donation to the Humane Society.

We’ve listened to your recent feedback and it was very helpful to us – in fact it prompted us to specifically choose the areas where we’d most like to celebrate animals. Here’s what we’ve decided: We’ll still honor our monetary commitment to the HSUS, but now we are specifically directing our $100,000 donation to HSUS’ Animal Rescue Team, which launch on-the-ground missions to rescue animals in peril. The HSUS Animal Rescue Team is a leading disaster response agency for animals, contributing millions of dollars to rebuild animal shelters destroyed in natural disasters, responding to floods, fires, and other disasters.

We may not always agree with 100 percent of what an organization represents, but rescuing animals displaced from natural disasters is a cause we support.

It is our policy to continually assess the impact of all of our charitable gifts and consumer feedback is extremely important to us. We hope that you will understand that this allocation of money is a direct result of hearing your concerns. We are listening, and we thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.

Sincerely,

That's a bummer. I use their Chardonnay for cooking and love their Shiraz. I am not even a wine guy.

I sent an email. Maybe they will eventually take note of the pressure if we all blast 'em.

I sent mine to Yellow Tail:

To whom it may concern,

It has come to my understanding your delightful wine organization is planning to contribute $100,000.00 dollars to the HSUS organization. You may or may not know HSUS is an avid anti-hunting based organization. Should your contribution go forward I would find myself looking for another supplier of delicious wine. I would also post this at the 3 different gun clubs I belong to. I would also go to the owners of the different wine stores in my community some of those owners are avid hunters like myself.

I do consider your wine delightful and I’d really hope you rethink your position. It is too bad politics gets in the way of rejoicing over a nice glass of robust wine after a nice hunt.

Thank you, for taking the time to read this comment,

Originally Posted By: Yukon21I sent mine to Yellow Tail:

To whom it may concern,

It has come to my understanding your delightful wine organization is planning to contribute $100,000.00 dollars to the HSUS organization. You may or may not know HSUS is an avid anti-hunting based organization. Should your contribution go forward I would find myself looking for another supplier of delicious wine. I would also post this at the 3 different gun clubs I belong to. I would also go to the owners of the different wine stores in my community some of those owners are avid hunters like myself.

I do consider your wine delightful and I’d really hope you rethink your position. It is too bad politics gets in the way of rejoicing over a nice glass of robust wine after a nice hunt.

Thank you, for taking the time to read this comment,

That's a great email, Yukon, nicely done!

Now if they really cared about those sweet little animals, they'd donate their money to an organization dedicated to killing the nasty predators that abuse those tender little bunnies and bambis.

E-Mail Sent. Im hoping a few distributers here in Oregon will take notice of this. Make sure you add them to your e-mail lists for this issue.

Agrigulture groups are joining this fight!

Animal Ag Alliance to Yellow Tail: Please Reconsider
By Pork news staff (2/12/2010)

In an effort to assist Yellow Tail Wines in determining its best opportunity to help animals, the Animal Agriculture Alliance has written a letter this week to the company’s owner, Cassella Wines. Yellow Tail Wines announced last week their intent to donate $100,000 to the Humane Society of the United States.

Yellow Tail’s announcement has generated considerable controversy among livestock producers and a backlash against the wine company. “The uproar over the last week has shown that you will undoubtedly lose a significant segment of your American customer base if you continue with your pledge of support for HSUS,” the letter says.

The Animal Agriculture Alliance pointed to the tactics employed by HSUS to encourage donations from individuals or organizations not aware of how the contributions are used. “(HSUS) is not affiliated with local animal shelters and instead uses its considerable budget to threaten America's hardworking farmers and ranchers,” the letter stated. “HSUS is not the organization that it appears to be.”

The letter urges Yellow Tail to reconsider its choice to fund HSUS citing the groups numerous campaigns against animal agriculture and other animal industries. “While wanting to help animals is indeed a noble goal, we urge you to not aid a group that works to eliminate animal agriculture. The letter goes on to suggest Yellow Tail instead support the American Humane Association which has a solid record of providing aid to animals.

The letter goes on to explain that “HSUS has a vegan agenda that does not wish to truly improve animal welfare, but to eliminate meat, milk, and eggs from consumers' diets.” Saying that Yellow Tail is not the first company to have been sold a bill of goods by HSUS the Alliance letter offers assistance to the wine company in recovering from the unfortunate situation.

HSUS has received criticism and come under increasing scrutiny after its 2008 tax return showed that only one-half of one percent of the group's funds actually went towards caring for animals. “Clearly, improving the lives of animals is not the main goal of HSUS,” the letter said.

Read the full letter.
|
Source: Animal Agriculture Alliance

http://www.porkmag.com/news_editorial.asp?pgID=675&ed_id=8869

From the Yellow Tail Website:

http://discoveryellowtail.com/#/news/year-of-the-tails/

2010: The Year of Tails
[yellow tail] wine and The Humane Society Of The United States
team up in celebration of animals

White Plains, NY, February 4, 2010 – [yellow tail] wine announced a collaboration with The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) in support of the organization's mission to celebrate animals. As part of their "[tails] for tails" campaign, [yellow tail] will make use of social media and in-store advertising to spread the message that consumers can "pick up a bottle of [yellow tail] and help a tail-wagging friend."

[yellow tail] has targeted its $100,000 donation to support The HSUS' Animal Rescue Team, which rescues animals in peril, whether from natural disasters or large-scale cruelty cases.

"[yellow tail] embraces animals, as seen through our logo featuring the Yellow-footed Rock Wallaby," said Mark Lyle, Vice President of Marketing for W.J. Deutsch. "Consequently we feel that The Humane Society of the U.S.'s initiative to help animals in danger through their noble Animal Rescue Team is an ideal mission to support."

[yellow tail] will also celebrate animals on a dedicated portion of the [yellow tail] Facebook page, linking to The HSUS' "Send Us Your Best Shot" pet photo contest. The contest asks fans to submit personal photos of their pets or favorite animals, with the chance for these photos to be published in The HSUS' bi-monthly publication All Animals and the opportunity to win great prizes.

Point-of-sale advertising highlighting the "[tails] for tails" campaign will be visible where [yellow tail] is sold through the end of March.

Consumers wishing to join [yellow tail] and The Humane Society of the United States in their celebration of animals and support of animal rescue efforts are encouraged to visit www.discoveryellowtail.com, from Monday, February 8th, for more information on how to make a donation to the "[tails] for tails" and HSUS Animal Rescue Team program.

Mine went today also:

I find it extremely unfortunate that a fine company such as yours has chosen to enter

the fray between the anti-hunters and anti-gun people against American sportsman

and supporters of The American Constitution. It appears that your organization failed

to do a diligent research before committing support to,what is in my opinion, an

anti-American organization,HSUS. Sadly, I have enjoyed many of your products for

quite some time. I have also recommended your products to many like-minded friends

and associates. Sadly, it will be necessary for me to find products from some of your

competitors who support sportsmen and my beloved Constitution. As well, I will find it

necessary to forward this email to my friends and associates so they too can make

the necessary adjustments. Perhaps next time your company will be more circumspect

in it's donations. Might I recommend that you consider an organization that would stand

you in good stead next time? http://teapartypatriots.ning.com/

Sincerely,

Alliance Reaches Out to Yellow Tail

Note:
After coordinating with agricultural stakeholders, the Alliance drafted the following letter, which was hand-delivered to [yellow tail] director John Casella on February 10, 2010. The Alliance will provide updates about the status of the donation.

John Casella
Managing Director
Casella Wines

Dear Mr. Casella:

The Animal Agriculture Alliance is dismayed by your decision to donate $100,000 to the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), a group that is not affiliated with local animal shelters and instead uses its considerable budget to threaten America's hardworking farmers and ranchers. Over the last week, hundreds of farmers, ranchers, hunters, and pet lovers have urged you to reconsider your choice to fund HSUS, an animal rights organization, because of its numerous campaigns against animal agriculture and other animal industries. While wanting to help animals is indeed a noble goal, we urge you to not aid a group that works to eliminate animal agriculture but instead pledge your money to a true animal protection organization. We would encourage you to instead support the American Humane Association's animal emergency services team, which has a solid record of providing aid to animals.

The Alliance is a national U.S.A. non-profit organization that speaks on behalf stakeholders in animal agriculture and the food industries in particular on the issue of farm animal care and well-being. Our Board of Directors includes the National Cattlemen's Beef Association, the National Chicken Council, the U.S. Poultry & Egg Association, the United Egg Producers, the National Turkey Federation, the National Pork Board, the American Sheep Industry Association, the National Milk Producers Federation, the American Veal Association, the United Soybean Board, and the American Feed Industry Association, among many other farmers, ranchers, veterinarians, animal behaviorists, agricultural businesses and organizations, and animal health companies. Collectively, we represent more than two million individuals.

We would gratefully request a phone meeting with you and/or your U.S.A. representatives at your earliest convenience to discuss this matter and answer any questions you may have. Yellow Tail is not the first company to have been sold a bill of goods by HSUS, and we would like to assist you in recovering from this situation. The uproar over the last week has shown that you will undoubtedly lose a significant segment of your American customer base if you continue with your pledge of support for HSUS.

HSUS is not the organization that it appears to be. When Wayne Pacelle took over as President and CEO of the organization in 2004, he told Animal People, a newspaper focused on animal issues, that his goal was to build a National Rifle Association of the animal rights movement. Miyun Park, the group's Vice President of Farm Animal Welfare, has bluntly stated that HSUS' objective is to get rid of the egg and broiler industries in the United States. The misleading information distributed by HSUS falsely depicts scientifically valid and ethically based agricultural practices as inhumane. While numerous HSUS campaigns have attempted to discredit modern agricultural practices, it is noticeably yet to fund or support research seeking alternative practices to enhance farm animal welfare. This is because HSUS has a vegan agenda that does not wish to truly improve animal welfare, but to eliminate meat, milk, and eggs from consumers' diets.

In December 2009, the American Institute of Philanthropy gave the organization a "C-" grade in its Charity Rating Guide, largely because HSUS dedicates a significant amount of its staggering $100 million budget on fund-raising, spending as much as $40 to generate every $100 raised. Analysis of their 2008 tax return shows that only one-half of one percent of the group's funds actually went towards caring for animals. Is that really how you want your money spent?

HSUS' animal rescue methods have also been questioned. HSUS routinely capitalizes on natural disasters and images of injured animals as a way to raise money through clever marketing campaigns. An investigation by an Atlanta, GA news station found that only 53 percent of the $34 million HSUS raised in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, which devastated much of the Gulf Coast, could be accounted for as spent on disaster-relief activities. In December 2009, HSUS raised $1.2 million using the image of "Fay," a severely disfigured pit bull that was rescued from a fighting ring- despite the fact that HSUS had not provided any of the animal's care. Only after harsh criticism did HSUS agree to pay just $5,000 for one of the dog's needed surgeries.

Even now, HSUS is shamefully using the crisis in Haiti to fund-raise. When the American Veterinary Medical Association joined with fifteen other animal welfare organizations to form the Animal Relief Coalition for Haiti (ARCH), HSUS instead began marketing itself as the sole provider of animal care to the ravaged area. It launched a massive advertising campaign to secure donations for itself, even while a call for animal aid had yet been made from caregivers in Haiti. HSUS' volunteers have admitted that pets are a rarity in the country and that they have interacted with only a few animals- even as donations continue to pour in. Where will this money go?

Clearly, improving the lives of animals is not the main goal of HSUS. Instead, the organization invests the millions of dollars that unknowing supporters donate every year into sophisticated legal and legislative campaigns that threaten the way of life of America's farmers and ranchers. HSUS has developed an extensive network of animal lawyers that donated 10,273 pro bono hours in 2008 alone, much of which was focused on animal agriculture. HSUS sponsored a 2008 ballot initiative in California that is expected to fully eradicate the state's egg industry when it goes into effect in 2015, bringing with it an expected economic loss of $615 million. This is not an isolated case; HSUS is currently working to impose unreasonable restrictions on farmers in Ohio and other states through ballot initiatives and similar legislative initiatives.

In contrast, the organization we've suggested you consider as an alternative to support is the oldest animal and child protection organization in the U.S.A. Founded in 1877, the American Humane Association (AHA) is the only animal welfare organization in the world with on-set jurisdiction from the Screen Actors Guild in Hollywood to supervise the use of animals in films. It is also the only organization with the authority to issue the renowned "No Animals Were Harmed" end-credit disclaimer you see on Hollywood films. AHA also operates an animal emergency services program called Red Star Emergency Services. This program has been around since 1940 and operates domestically and internationally (part of ARCH) to provide animal emergency response. AHA has a fleet of emergency response vehicles and a registry of trained national responders. As of a few years ago, they had memorandums of understanding with the American Red Cross, National Disaster Medical System, US Public Health Service and the Federal Office of Emergency Planning. The Alliance does not have a relationship with the AHA.

On its Web site, [yellow tail] boasts of being a family-centered company in touch with its agricultural roots. It does not make sense for any farm-related company to donate to HSUS as it is critical that all segments of agriculture support each other and work together. If you decide to alter your donation to a credible animal welfare group, the Alliance will gladly publicize and celebrate your action. However, if after reviewing this background information you continue to fund the corrupt actions of HSUS, the Alliance will be forced to use our network of contacts to actively advertise and challenge your choice to knowingly support an activist group with the stated purpose to destroy the livelihood of America's farmers and ranchers.

Thank you for your consideration of our request for a phone meeting this week, and for your reconsideration of your donation plan.

Sincerely,

Animal Agriculture Alliance

This letter from American Farm Bureau President Bob Stallman was sent by FAX and E-Mail to Mr. John Casella on Wednesday, Feb. 10.

---

Mr. John Casella
Managing Director
Casella/Yellow Tail Wines

Dear Mr. Casella,

As managing director of the Casella wine family, I am sure you have noticed the recent spontaneous and very genuine engagement effort of many American farmers and ranchers who were shocked to learn of Yellow Tail Wine’s decision to support the Humane Society of the United States. Like you, we take our role in the food production system very seriously. We are bound by the morals of caring for our farm animals and respecting our natural resources as we produce food for the world. As you know by now, the HSUS had made its political mission to call into question the very values that I am sure your family shares with us. That is why this news of your donation was even more disturbing.

I am hopeful your decision was made without knowledge of the full HSUS agenda, but supporting one arm of this extreme group props up it misguided mission in other areas. My research shows that some of your other charitable support, such as grants to rural women leaders in Australia, is more compatible with your proud agricultural heritage. I applaud you for that.

While I am disappointed in your decision, I am fully aware that once a decision is made, it is next to impossible to take it off the table. I do not write to judge your decision to stick to your word, especially knowing the behind-the-scene tactics of the recipient group. I am hopeful, however, that you will reconsider any kind of visible marketing partnership with this group, which has a traceable record of wanting to squash modern livestock production in the United States. Since your goal was to support animals, I am also hopeful you will target your future support to groups focused on the true animal welfare cause, rather than one that publicly cloaks itself in that cause while pursuing a completely different shadow agenda of extreme animal rights.

While the backlash must be alarming, I am confident a clear statement from you in support of agriculture and denouncing the recipient group’s tactics would restore goodwill and the positive reputation your products enjoyed among rural Americas and others supporting American agriculture. If I can assist in spreading that news, I would be glad to help. Thanks for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
Bob Stallman, President

Back