Rabbits, where have they all gone?

I went out rabbit hunting today and kicked brush for at least 6 hours and we only kicked up 3 rabbits. I have been hunting rabbits since I was 12 years old (23 now) and have never ever had that bad of a hunt, we usually always see rabbits every where we go.

Originally Posted By: TNyoteboyMakes me miss my growing up days. First animal I ever killed was a cottontail in front of a beagle.

Same here Mike, those days are long gone though. When I was a kid we could get a limit by lunch time every time we turned the dogs loose, nowadays I could kill 100 deer in this state before I could kill 10 rabbits! Things sure have changed a lot in the last 15-20 years.

heres a few of my kids,there friends and our hounds

pp004-1.jpg

pp001.jpg

pp002-1.jpg

125.jpg

032.jpg

scline114.jpg

Good pics, brings back a lot of memories.
Kids hunting rabbits is what it's all about, they'll remember those days forever.

When I was a kid, there was a bounty on fox and owls. Rabbit numbers were good. They ended the bounty and you can't kill any bird of prey now and the rabbit numbers went down. Fur prices started going up and everybody started hunting and trapping, rabbits started coming back. Fur prices went down, nobody hunting and trapping, rabbit numbers going down again.

We can't do anything about the birds of prey but we sure can get out there and lower the predator population. Thin them out some and the rabbits and game birds might make a come back.

Just my $0.02.

Originally Posted By: TNyoteboyMakes me miss my growing up days. First animal I ever killed was a cottontail in front of a beagle.

Same here. My first was while out hunting with my uncle and his beagles in Culleoka. Shot my first with a 12 ga. and ended up on my butt. LOL

I'll never forget those days.

Back