HOT and COLD

Redfrog

In my neck of the woods we don't get a lot of Mex or Tex/Mex, but every time I'm south of the border in AZ or NM or TX. I seem to end up in a Mexican Restaurant. I'm not sure why that is????
confused.gif

I understand some of you may have had your guts vulcanized, but I haven't. Anyone can make stuff hot, but I think it takes soem skill to come up with what I'm looking for.

I like the food that is just a little spicey when you first put it in your mouth, but then gradually builds the heat. I do not like the stuff that is like hot asphalt when it hits your palate, and then just stays that way. I'd like something more subtle with some flavor to go with the heat.

Any ideas or comments/tips are welcome. I'm looking for an education.

Now for the cold. I raise or hunt a lot of my meat and do the processing myself.

I have a vacuum sealer and really like it. It allows me to keep meat for longer periods of time. I also dry spice different cuts with different spice mixes and then vacuum seal and freeze. It marinates the meat while it freezes and thaws and I'm sure affects it somewhat while frozen.

I especially like this process for meat I plan to take on extended hunting trips. With proper planning I can have steaks at the end of a two week hunt with just a cooler to keep them in.

I bring a few smaller coolers rather than one or two large ones. The large ones are too darn heavy.
with the smaller ones I pack them so that I have a weeks supply of meat frozen in a cooler. That way it only gets opened once every two days. The second one I would even duct tape shut. Of course the coolers will be placed where they will stay cool[ in a stream or pond or shady spot and left undisturbed. I can take two days meat out of the "meat cooler" and put it in the regular "Supper " cooler. It will slowly thaw and keep the rest of the contents cool in the process. By the end of week two I've found the steaks had been thawed for two days but still keep very cold and marinating in the vac bags. MMMMMM Yummy.
tt1.gif

Jim I know what ya mean about the hot food LOL..I think it takes allot of training or they have cast iron guts..

On to the cold..
Dang that sounds tasty! I'm going to have to give your method a whirl..
thumbup.gif

Redfrog, I've frozen NY strips sealed in the vacuum sealer with a heavy sprinkle of Montreal steak seasoning. I think it's made by McCormick.
Works great!

If I make a hot sauce I will use alot of different peppers, that seems to get a better taste. I'll use serrano, jalapeno,chile arbol,ancho,casabel,anaheim,cayenne, and habanero. Raw will be alot hotter than if you cook it, I also add onion,garlic,salt and pepper along with cilantro. You can also add some carrots, just run them on the grater extra fine.

I used to eat a lot of hot sauces, and still have quite a collection....Over the years, I've learned to enjoy the flavor, more than the heat...

The better hot sauce that I've found is LaCuCaMaya, that comes out of Old Mexico...There is no English on the label, so I'm not sure if it can be sold in the US...It has a great flavor, without scalding your throat/mouth...

If you have to stay in the US...Cholula or WildCat (hot/sweet) Sauce is great for seasoning most foods, as is Louisana Gold...(that's the one that usually rides in my vehicle, for when some places try to palm off Tabasco on me)

For a more pungent flavor,,, try some "Jerk" sauce out of the Caribbean Islands..If you just want 'miserable HOT, there are some from Thailand and India that can put you in the hospital if you get carried away with them...

dont know if this fits the category, there is something new i,ve added to my bbq arsenal, a type of jalepeno popper, not too much heat, but awsome flavor, take a j pepper, cut down center long ways, remove seeds and veins, work the cavity w/ cream cheese w/ a knife, wrap w/ a strip of bacon, secure w/ toothpick, grill till bacon is crisp, b carefull the flame will flare due to grease, remove t-pick, and try to eat just one, impossible!!!

Back