Rabbits, where have they all gone?

beagleboy

Is everyone expiriencing the same issues that we are? No rabbits to be found. I have heard of the cycle but its been a slow 3 years when are we expecting to see them on the rebound? We have had a winter with plenty of snow for water, a winter with no snow, what is the key so I can start praying for those conditions. Where are all my Jackrabbit Experts? Please let me know as I am going through withdrawls.
102_0850.jpg

Last edited:
In Arkansas I think the rabbits are in coyotes stomachs. We don't ge much snow, but when we do the only rabbit tracks I find are within 100 yards of my house.

Dang Dude, you have a very serious complextion problem. Don't look like that teenage acne thing either! I'd get that checked out if'n I was you.

Rabbits. Cycles. On the down side here also. Noticed it gradually coming on the last 3 years. See very, very few rabbits this year. Next year we might start noticing a very slight increase again. Hopefully.

I agree with doggin, Dude you need to do something about that Unibrow.

I have been seeing some rabbits but not neer what I used to see around here.

I'm seeing more cottons in So Cal. Got a good snow last year numbers are up.

up in oregon i talked with alot of folks who said there used to be a ton of jacks. One guy told me the goverment released a disease to kill off rabbits its like a conspiracy or something. I actualy heard more then one people say that. Who knows.

When i was a kid there was this road with a billion cottontails one year. never seen so many rabbits. been back there every dang year for the last 20 years or so and never seen 1 stinking rabbit ever again. this is up by mammoth lakes ca.

In oregon only got into jacks real close to farms like around x-mas valley. Drove about 100 miles of dirt road didn't see 1 jack. Got into the farms we saw tons. Get 1/4 mile away from farms nothing again.

like magic, now you see 'em, now you don't!

http://www.snh.org.uk/publications/on-line/advisorynotes/31/31.htm

http://www.snh.org.uk/publications/on-line/advisorynotes/31/31.htm

http://pan-am.uniserve.com/pg000093.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_haemorrhagic_disease

Yep the disease is real. Introduced in iowa in 2000 also reported in utah 2001.

People in new zealand and australia released it. Local goverment released it to control rabbits there. They seem to have done the same in america but are keeping it hush hush probably so hunters and peta don't get pissed. Bottom line is more money on the farm. check out the articles.

try a search for government rabbit disease or similar. It may or may not be the cause of rabbit decline reported in the last 10 years like they told me in oregon.

some sites say only the european rabbit is can get the disease. Cottontails native to america and jack rabbits can't get it.

whatever the case there just can't be too many rabbits for me and my beagle! My franchi and cz's can't get enough either!

Last edited:
Well thanks for the replies. As for the poisoning thats a real SHIDDER! Sorry for the vulgarity but thats what it is! As for my acne I was having fun with the photo trying to cover up the gore and carnage hence the acne like unibrow lol. I also got a kick out of my strange way of getting my 15 mins of fame, if I googled "government rabbit disease" i was for a bit the only one there. It would pull up this post with my photo, guess a good think I took the marker to my face so that I dont get black balled.

Hello beagleboy, I have been a long time lurker here, but when I saw your post (and you) I had to join the forum and respond. One of my greastest joys is to run our beagles with my father, up on his ranch in Idaho and hunt rabbits. Your screen name implies that you too, have beagles. While our dogs are best with cottontails, we do jump a good number of jacks. I agree, though, that the jack rabbit population is way down, but we always seem to do good with the cottontails. If you are near southwest Idaho, I would be happy to take you out on our ranch. If you have any experience with coyote hunting, I would love to learn the ropes. My father blames the rabbit decline on all the coyotes on the ranch. Good luck to you. BBG

Thanks for the responses everyone. In response to your message bbgirl the only beagle I run with is myself. I have been given the name Halfman Halfbeagle by my peers as I can track anything down. They sit back there and laugh at my beagle like points and pounces. I perfer the name beagle boy because I feel like a boy chasing them rabbits, I love it. As for your invite I am always game to get out and do some coyote stands however I would have to bring my bud along with me. Seems the two of us are inseperable when it comes to hunting. He is to me what Batman is to Boy Wonder lol. Thought you might like another photo without the acne / unibrow
102_0848.jpg

Last edited:
BBGirl posting invitations on these boards you'll get a bunch of beagling whackos wanting to come out too!

Moving to oregon soon. I'll hunt swap with you. i know a good spot by bend for rabbit and its great for coyote out there. I know a spot by corvalis oregon that is just unbelieveable rabbit hunting with a few quail and pheasants mixed in.

I run my beagle with a lady who has a pack in corvalis sometimes.

running with the pack in corvalis
oregon136.jpg

i havent had any problems around here.today we went out it was 6 degrees.went for three hours running three dogs and killed 7.over 100 for the season which ends next saturday.

Beautiful dogs, Triple. I have been reading the predator forum for months, and have a hand call that I have been practicing with for coyotes...sounds pretty pathetic so far, lol. My (twin) sister and I are tied up playing volleyball for the next few weekends, that may only leave me 1 more rabbit hunt before the season is over. After that I am going to devote some time to coyotes. Sorry, dont mean to steal your post Beagle boy. BBG

I saw more rabbits in Nevada last week than I've seen here in Western Utah for a couple years. Which still wasn't a lot of rabbits. I agree with a previous post about the hawks & owls getting them. Around here there are unbelievable amounts of birds of prey and they gotta eat something. No wonder there's not much upland game of anykind around these days.

This may be unpopular but I think there is an overpopulation of these birds and they need to be brought into balance.

wow that is awesome!

I have only got about 10 this year. I live in los angeles so I only get out every couple weeks. Also spent alot of time hunting quail and chukar(my dog is a bird machine as long as there are no rabbits around). I just have 1 dog and she is still learning she is almost 2 years old. Our scent conditions usualy suck but when its good like last week she circles alot. I always get 1 or two every time out. but nothing like you guys are getting!

I can't believe beagle boy has good success without dogs, I don't.

BBgirl, check out byron south coming to the call volume two. It contains all the info you need to get started coyote hunting includeing how to use hand calls. twenty bucks at byronsouth.com and worth every penny.

Back