Peppers

Redfrog

I was making a breakfast omelet this morning and I thought I would pass along a tip I use.

In the GWN peppers of any kind are kinda expensive in the winter, so when i see them on cheap, I buy lots. Problem is that even though we eat them nearly everyday, my child bride and I can't get to them before they start to spoil.

So I slice or chop them , toss into a ziplock, remove the air and throw in the freezer. I do the same with mushrooms.
They are great in any kind of cooked dish. Thawed and raw not so much as they tend to soften up from the freezing.

This way I usually get through the bag in a month or so and they are still good to go.

I could use dried, but then they need to be reconstituted and I have ADD so that won't happen.

great tip Redfrog! I do the same with all kinds of veggies as it is the same here in Ontario....in season stuff is dirt cheap but in the dead of winter it cost you an arm and a leg!

Redfrog,

We, my not so child bride(27 years plus) grow tons of peppers each year in the garden. She'll take them and clean them, cut some in half, some in 1/4's and leaf some whole but de-seeded and flash freeze them all. Place them on a cookie sheet and place it in the freezer for a couple of hours. Take them out and put the desired amount in a vacuum pack bags then back in the freezer until we need them for our favorite recipes, thaw the type of pepper and the desired cut and cook like fresh peppers. Works with all types of peppers, big green bells to the tiny Chinese wish you didn't eat that, type.

Back