Berger MEF Bullets?

larr

has anyone heard of these bullets? i have a friend who is looking for some of these, they are .224 40gr moly coated. i tried to find more info on them with no luck. if anyone has any info about these bullets please let me know. i would appreciate it.

Last edited:
They are just H.P. bullets with a bigger hole on the end. They work great for P.D.s but not so good for killing coyotes. Not enough penatration by the bullet..

larr...MEF stands for Maximum Expansion Factor...berger's first attempt at a dedicated varmint bullet...they were match bullets minus a step or two in jacket forming...no longer manuf'd...designed for prairie dogs,woodchucks &other rodents...the name was so confusing that eunice used to tell me she wasted half her day explaining MEF!...the replacement is called Varmint...heard it has a heavier jacket design but still is a J4 jacket as was MEF...i used to buy bunches of their seconds in match & MEF's when they had their office off camelback rd in glendale,az...neat folks...miss her...i have dropped a couple coyotes with 68grn MEF's from a 6BR but range was inside 100yds...never shot at coyotes with any .224 MEF's.

Last edited:
thanks for all the info, looks like my friend will have to buy the varmint bullets and moly them himself. thanks again everyone

larr.... I need to correct myself...i have used 40grn .224 MEF's on coyotes...out of a 221 fire ball...these were 25lb mature desert coyotes....

Back