.243 range results (Varget under 80 gr NBT)

duck911

Well, I've been reading that it's generally accepted that Varget is a good powder for .243 but only with lighter weight bullets. I started a thread on this subject a few days ago on this forum, and the feedback generally was that a fellow could probably get away with up to 80 grain bullets with Varget.

So, to just get a feel for the Varget and to see if my rifle would even like this combination, I deviated a bit from my usual methodology and went with less rounds per charge, and worked up in bigger steps.

The Nosler manual lists 36 gr as the starting load and 40 max. So, I went with:

36 gr (3 rounds)
36.5 gr (3 rounds)
37 gr (3 rounds)
37.5 gr (3 rounds)
38 gr (3 rounds)

I was not comfortable going above 38 grains without backing off to 2/10th's increments and didn't want to shoot that much anyway, so stopped at 38 gr. (In fact, I was slightly nervous going from 37.5 to 38...)

Now, before anyone tells me 3 round groups one time out doesn't mean squat - I KNOW!!
tt2.gif
Each *individual group* may not tell one much, but I still feel like general trends and patterns can begin to be seen even with the small amount of data points, especially since I had no clue where to start zeroing in on a powder weight.

So, how did the 80 grainers shoot?

36 grains: 1.25"
36.5 grains: .81"
37 grains: .65"
37.5 grains: Well, take a look:

243group.jpg

Then 38 grains opened back up to .8" group.

The results, based on a VERY limited amount of shooting, look good! Next, I plan on starting at 37.3 grains and load 5 each of 37.3, 37.5, and 37.7 grains.

I suppose I'll then take the best group(s) from those 3 loads (assuming there is something there that shows promise), then go from there.

--Duck911

The rifle is a bone stock Remington 700 Varmint. Only change is that the X-Mark Pro trigger has been turned down a bit.

--Duck911

i shoot a 788 rem and my accuracy load is the 80 bt spire point 37.5 gr imr 4064.
could try some of the newer bullets but this load works real well.
I've shot this load sense April of 1990 with no complaints

Duck,

I also use 3 shot groups in 0.5g charge increments out of sporter rifles for screening powders. I load 5 of the first charge - shoot two fouling shots, let it cool, then shoot the first group of 3. That works out nicely. 20 rounds fired with care gives 2 fouling shots and screens 6 powder charges. It gets me in the ball park very quickly and inexpensively. At the end of 20 rounds I have a good idea whether or not the powder is worth more investigation. The results have been very good.

When I think I'm "there", in sporter rifles I shoot 5 groups of 3 shots each, cooling to cold bore between groups, to confirm the load. I've used this approach in all my hunting rifles and it has worked out quite well.

My target rifle, heavy barrel, is a whole different story.

Fitch

Looks very good! I am using Varget for my 65 gr Vmax and 100 gr Partitions. My Model 7 loves it. Hope your testing stays great!

Back