disapearing coyotes

Vern223

confused.gif
I've hunted the same general area 10sq. miles here in Iowa the last 4-5 years. Always taking 4-10 coyotes a year. I have yet to even see one this year. Was out last full moon and talked back and forth with one but thats it. We have some 40 acres cornfields left over this year and the weather has been bitter but the number of tracks have reduced also. We have groups sorrounding sections with pickup trucks having success. Are the numbers declining? What's your angle on my problem?
confused.gif
cry.gif

Quote: We have groups sorrounding sections with pickup trucks having success. Are the numbers declining?
Yes i would say so...10 square miles is'nt much of a area..

Vern223, without seeing your place or knowing the history of the area it's very hard to say. If there has been mange or some other kind of detrimental canine disease it could be a factor. If the habitat no longer supports the needs of coyotes they may moved on. In other words if the animals they eat the most are in a low cycle in your area they may have gone to better hunting grounds. Ten square miles is plenty of land. The size of the area isn't nearly as important as having prime habitat for coyotes. I consistently kill a lot of coyotes out of areas that are only a half a section or less. It's because those areas have everything a coyote wants and needs...well with the exception of me and my rifle.
wink.gif
I suspect that if you give the area a rest for a month or so, and then go out and howl a couple hours after dark you'll find there are still quite a few coyotes in the area. Just one little hint though, use a different howler or electronic howl than you have used before as they just might be on to you.

First off Timmy I wasn't replying to you I was specifically replying to Vern223's question. Not sure why you feel inclined to butt in. Second, nothing I said to him was untrue or debatable whether he was hunting in Iowa, Texas, Montana, or even Minnesota. Kind'a dumb to assume that the only place I've ever hunted or was familiar with is Montana. Lastly, you need to go back and kick your resource teacher square in the butt, because your spelling and grammar is beyond terrible. It is very hard to comprehend what you are trying to say. It is like reading a paper written by a 3rd grade student. At the very least use a spell check!

Standing corn could have alot to do with it. A great place for those coyotes to hole up in. Tim your wrong on the mange being a slow/drawn out death. Those pups get it and I have seen plenty in August that where on their last leg and die soon after.

Meaning going into late fall your numbers can be hit in a matter of a few years time. Remember in areas of pressure 60% will be those years pup crop and if you loose alot of them from mange it can impact you that winter for sure. AS young coyote pups just can't take it like some adults can.

Between parvo and mange in 2 years time you can knock out alot of pup coyotes.

I would agree 5x2 sq miles is not much of an area and if change becuase of standing corn or other geographic changes could move those coyotes. I would find some new areas to hunt, look for those with harder access to call I'm betting you will find some coyotes good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the response.

We had some weather -20-30 below for about a week or two along with quit a bit of snow. I need snowshoes to get into most of the locations. I tend to agree with the coyotes holding in the cornfields. They have cover, food and no human can dig them out, so why should they travel in the deep snow when there is water available right down the middle of most of the fields. Farmers still hear them at night it just doesn't seem they are traveling. Have not heard of or seen any mange in the area. So I'll hope the warmer weather this next weeks forcast has for us will get them moving and get me shooting.
Thanks again

Timmy17rem, That would be grammar, not grammer, genius.
rolleyes.gif
Stating that you don't care about your writing, not writeing, is definitely stating the obvious. Please continue to share your pearls of wisdom oh wise one of Minnesota. I find your disillusions of adequacy entertaining.
laugh.gif

Sorry Vern223, didn't mean to get so side tracked. I think ADCcoyote has shared some good information with you and I stand behind my comments as well. Like I said it might just be that you need to try some new sounds. They might be on to you. However if they are stuck in that corn you do have your work cut out for you.

LOL! You can't even construct a single sentence without a grammatical error! That is too funny.
laugh.gif
Dude you make this way too easy. Hurry another pearl of please.

(That's, not "Thats")

Originally Posted By: Ursus21LOL! You can't even construct a single sentence without a grammatical error! That is too funny.
laugh.gif
Dude you make this way too easy. Hurry another pearl of please.

(That's, not "Thats")

Too bad you feel inclined to criticize someone who misspells and uses incorrect grammar. You can add me to your list. I flunked english in High School, quit one month before I should have graduated. Then went on to serve 20 years in the Navy then successfully ran a construction business for another 30 years. I raised 6 fine children, put them all through college. I still can't spell or use proper grammar. So you want to criticize someone else? then come on and add me to your list.

I think you owe TA17rem an apology. Spelling and grammar aint everything.
OB

Nah, I’m having too much fun seeing what stupid thing you will say next. I must say you have not disappointed me. Please don't stop now.

Ummm, nope you'd be wrong again, and that's all that counts. Oh, and thank you for saying something stupid again. I was counting on it.
thumbup.gif

Back