16 gauge...... 2 3/4?

tugrivercopper

the 2 shotguns i currently have r a 20 gauge...and the 16 gauge browning "sweet sixteen"....what would i have to shoot out of each one to be a viable predator gun?

or must i get a 12 gauge?

Heavy shot. Not sure how heavy but maybe two's? Someone will tell you. The biggest difference between all the shotguns is the amount of shot they'll hold. A 1 1/8 oz load from a 16 has less shot than a 1 1/4 oz load in a 12. But both will drive the shot it has about the same speed. Therefor a single piece of #2 shot leaving a 12 ga or even a 28ga is going about the same velocity. Just mor of it in a 12ga.

I'm a big 16 gauge fan, I've got a 16 gauge Ithaca pump and several 16 gauge doubles. That said, if I were looking for a dedicated predator shotgun it wouldn't be a 16 gauge. IMO,putting a coyote down decisively is asking a lot of a shotgun as it is. You want a lot of shotgun for the job. With a 16 you are really limited in what kind of loads are available. Last I knew, the only factory buckshot load for a 16 was 12 pellet, #1 buck. No matter what, the heaviest 16 gauge loads are 1 1/4 ounces. Also, all the heavy load, long range development with chokes, etc has been done with 12 gauge. Probably much better off to go to a 12.

I hear Sweet 16s fetch a pretty penny around here...
I'm surprized your able to take it out of your house
without someone trying to buy it.......I'd save that
one for the safe....too much stuff out there for 12s

10 or 12 gauge for preds. but i wish i had a 16 for quail, when i was a kid my g-pa traded his brown. a-5 16g. for a 243 rem. 788 to give to me , i was so pissed and would have rather had the sweet 16!

Originally Posted By: royboy99I'm a big 16 gauge fan,........................... Last I knew, the only factory buckshot load for a 16 was 12 pellet, #1 buck. No matter what, the heaviest 16 gauge loads are 1 1/4 ounces. Also, all the heavy load, long range development with chokes, etc has been done with 12 gauge. Probably much better off to go to a 12.

I concur. Find yourself a $100 beat-up Mossberg and go to it......

Kaiser Norton

I've shot 16 gauges for over 40 years and #1 buck is all I have ever seen. I have my grandfathers "sweet sixteen" in my safe, and I love shooting that gun. A Browning A 5 16 gauge is not the same as a "sweet sixteen", they are different guns. I killed my first deer with my dads "sweet sixteen" in 1967, then he traded it for an 870 12. Wanted a turkey gun. I wouldn't trade my grandfathers gun for a new truck.

I have both and depending on what the 20 is chambered in I would say that would be the one I would choose especially if it a 3" gun. The 16 can be loaded for 1.25 oz and that is exactly what I use for pheasant hunting, but for coyotes I would prefer using a denser load like dead coyote etc and the sheer number of choices available in 20g vs 16 is huge. For the 16 I load my own so I can configure the shells any way I like but if I had to rely on getting them retail the way I wanted them I would be out of luck.

Personally I have a Beretta ExtremaII that I bring for Coyotes and use 3.5" federal buckshot.

Back