Today's Hare

beagler

We were supposed to get an inch of snow last night, never happened. I was hoping to get some fresh snow on top of the frozen crust we have in my area. Turns out we didn't need it. The hounds pounded the behinds of the white bunnies today.
First hare ran for an hour and fifteen minutes before my dad killed him. Second ran for almost an hour before I killed him.
The snowshoe hare season is only 5 days long here in PA and you are only allowed one hare a day.
beagleguy
[/url][/img]
beagleguy
[/url][/img]

nice

we had tough conditions in (keep it secret)mckean county
8 inches of snow and cold--tuesday was worse at 14 with steady big wind.our runs were fair at best
next year i may even shoot one

OK. Stupid question. I've never run hares or rabbit's with dogs, always spot and stalk. Doesn't running them that long make them taste a bit strong?

Nice looking dogs too. I used to hunt then in Montana and Alaska. Don't know if we have them in Oregon. Well a Blacktailed Jack Rabbit is a hare but don't think I'd want to eat one that was very old! Besides that, you let a dog chase a jack for an hour and it'll be about an hour away from you!

Originally Posted By: Don FischerOK. Stupid question. I've never run hares or rabbit's with dogs, always spot and stalk. Doesn't running them that long make them taste a bit strong?
Been killing hare for almost 25 years and never heard that one before. Hare are tougher (meat) than a cottontail however.

Originally Posted By: madcatternice

we had tough conditions in (keep it secret)mckean county
8 inches of snow and cold--tuesday was worse at 14 with steady big wind.our runs were fair at best
next year i may even shoot one
It takes hounds with really good noses to chase hare. Usually during snowshoe season here in PA we always get very cold temps and ice/frozen crust for some reason. I've been hunting them for almost 25 years now and every season my dad and I manage a few. I've seen alot of other guys hounds simply not be able to hold the track under harsh running conditions. Our dogs run best on snow. I don't mean to brag but our dogs can run with the best of them. When we start a hare he runs until he's dead or we catch the hounds.

Back