R-15 and Coyote special

mfp

I just ordered a Coyote Special 4.5-14 for my R15. Should i get the low rings (1/4"), or the medium rings(1/2")???
Thanks

Out of those 2 choices the medium.

However, you may be better off with a more suitable mount/rings for an AR rifle. Check out Larue or the Burris PEPR. You may not like how close the scope will be to your face and how far back your cheek is set on the stock with normal mounts.

If you have a scope laying around with similar eye relief (3.6") try setting it on top of your R15 and you'll see what i mean.

highs for normal rings unless you have a real small face...
lol
i first had mediums on mine and literally had to push my cheek down onto the stock to get into it. went with highs and it's perfect.

I used high rings to mount the Coyote Special on my R-15, they are too low for me. I have a Burris mount from Optics Planet, going to change it as soon as I can get to the range.

Chuck

I forgot to say that I am also mounting the burris fastfire on top. I don't want the red dot to be to high. I am worried that if I but high mounts, then the red dot will be too high. Will it not?

I'd definately suggest you find a gun shop that"ll let you try a couple mounts they might have in back. Don't need to have them all tight; just need to mock up a couple different ones to make sure. Get your scope on your gun and (while unloaded and pointed in a safe dierction..lol) find something to aim at. Close both your eyes and mount your gun to your shoulder and get comfortable behind the scope. When it feels "right" open your eyes and see if you are in the scope. You should'nt have to move your head up or down from there.
When i had mediums on my R-15 and did this i was looking at the top of the scope eyepiece. I literally had to cant my head sideways and "scrunch" my cheek into the stock to get centered. Was very un-natural and un-comfortable to say the least. definatelly give it a test run. You will be glad you did when you are out hunting. Who knows: mediums might be right for you. I just know that it is not usually the case, and i've mounted many a scopes for customers over the years.
Your Fastfire on the top is going to be very high and out of normal shooting position anyhow, so you might as well have your scope fit proper. The extra 1/8" or whatever it happens to be, will not much matter when you use the Fastfire.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Jim

I have the Burris P.E.P.R 1 Piece mount and really like the way the gun pulls up. It has short picatinny mounts on top of each ring. I think I might put a quick fire type sight on top of mine sometime. I dont think it will be too high for quick rapid shots. I would rather have my main optics right where I want them and the quick shot sight a lil out of range.

IMG00036.jpg

I have the high rings on mine and I still think they are a little too low. I have to really suck into the stock to get on the scope right. I plan on changing that as soon as I get a chance.

Leupold high see through rings at walmart or the Burris PEPR mount will put it where you need it.
I tried med. & high rings, but neither worked for me as they were still to low, went to the leupolds see through and Burris mounts.....Perfect!

When you mount the rifle just mount the lower half of the butt in the upper half of your shoulder. Then you have a great deal of latitude as to the height of your scope mounts. My marine son showed me that.

I bought scope rings for my coyote special from Optics Planet and a couple riser blocks which all blended in nicely with the scope and R-15. The height is good for me also. I "think" I got the risers from them also, but may have gotten them from Brownell's.

I mounted my Coyote Special on my R15 with Millett High rings. Sight picture perfect for the scope. PERP might give better access to the charging bar, but so far so good. We'll see how it works when a coyote comes in too close for the scope. Not good I am afraid. Most don't get that close.

Last edited:
i just put the same scope on my r25 sunday afternoon, with the nikon high rings , and as far as im concerned its too low so im waiting on the arrival of a pair of risers from midway they are labeled remington and camo dipped as well so it should match pretty close. might want to consider this approach .

Originally Posted By: NMdoghunterDoes using the burris pepr eliminate the need for risers?

They do for me.
They fit me better than anything I've tried.

002.jpg

Back