First bobcat......................the hard way!

scottmilk9

Snowman Mo, his father in law and I went out Saturday, the day after Christmas. I needed a break, a stress releiver of sorts, my week was [beeep]. I had to make the decision on closing the shop(to reorganize after the first) then to top it off someone broke into my truck Xmas morning and stole all my long range shooting accessories.

Wednesday, I got a new POF .308 and I wanted to take it out to get some pictures with the new gun for POF's new role here at predatormasters.

Fast forward to saturday, we made about 5 stands, most of them very promising, but only saw one fox and he was scooting along too quick and the brush was too thick to get a shot off. Our sixth stand, Mo was playing a wounded jackrabbit on his foxpro at the 4-5 minute mark, I see a very light colored cat crawling 35 yards in front of me, i had a hard time picking it up in my 10X scope and finally got it focused and put the crosshairs on the cats chest, I pulled the 2 stage trigger back and heard the loudest metalic click in the world, even Mo said he heard it 40 or so yards to my left, so did the cat, she looked at me and was staring me down.

I knew I couldn't charge the handle and put another round in, the cat would have saw and heard all that movement, so I slowly and I mean slowly reached and drawn my carry gun, which is a STI Ranger 2(1911), aimed carefully and squeezed the trigger. She jumped 6 feet in the air and scampered to my right, I took 2 more shots and hit her again. I called for Mo and Tom to come and help, I didn't want a wounded animal getting away, especially because I couldn't see how good the hits were.

Tom brought the shotgun and Mo and I had our sidearms out, we walked about 50 yards, Mo and Tom went on as I went back to see if I could find any blood or tracks, but to no avail. The boys were walking back towards me and I asked them to go over the ridge with me, at that time, the cat ran about 40 yards, I could tell she was hurt as she wasn't running very fast.

Luckily I was by our rifles that we laid down by all of our other gear and I picked up Mo's rifle and had the cat in my sights in seconds, pulled the trigger and put her down for good. She would have expired from her injuries from my pistol, but I never want an animal to suffer and it would have been a clean shot, but the big .45 slug hit a twig and deflected.

Thanks Mo, I needed a day to get away from everything, you are a true friend.
Scotts2009bobcat011.jpg

Scotts2009bobcat005.jpg

I HATE those metallic "CLICKS"...
tt2.gif

Great story Scott, and a very nice cat as well. Sounds like you fellas had a great time. Thanks for sharing.

always let your make sure your action slams shut on an AR! I have had more hunters blow good shots on an animal from that very thing! One guy did it so many times I nick named him CLICK.
nice cat. gonna get him mounted?

Scott- I sent Jason an email to forward to you regarding a 5 round clip.

On another note- nice bobcat but if you're going to plan on doing anything with these cats and foxes you gotta start shooting a smaller caliber. The havoc a .223-.308 does on a thin skinned/lean meat predators like foxes and bobcats makes repairs on the pelts a full time job for a seamstress.

If you're just into it for the fun then disregard.

It was without a doubt the loudest "CLICK" that I have ever heard. For a second I thought that he was flipping off his safety. Then the real fun began. But Scott stayed with it, and he stayed calm.

Congrats on your first cat, brother. I can't wait for the next one.

Back