How do the contests work?

417coyotesoldier

For several years now I've been hearing about coyote hunting contests, but Ive never been around one.
I probably wouldn't compete in one myself however I would like to know how they work.
Can anyone enlighten me, please.

What are you asking? If you are asking if predators get killed the answer is yes. Contest originated as a way for livestock producers to draw hunters to a area to kill coyotes. They have evolved from that. Ranchers would supply the awards and Hunters would show up, at the end of the day nobody was crowned as the champion. Today hunters pay the entry fee and it is more about the title and the prizes. The hunts usually have a check in time when the hunt starts and a check in time when it ends. They can be technical, Temp checks, and putting blocks in the coyotes mouth. I have never been in one. I would like to do the Utah youth hunt someday with my nephews or my kids.

Is that what you were looking for?

Different contests have different rules....depending on organizers, entry fee (or size of purse) etc.

Check in time and check out time.
Typically you are given wood blocks with zip ties. When you shoot a coyote you write the time on the block and zip tie it in the mouth.
Usually teams of 2. Occasionally a person is sent with the teams to make sure rules are followed.

What else do you need to know?

Scott

tt2.gif

Last edited:
417 Come over to Chanute and hang out on friday or sunday.Give me a holler and i can explain how we run ours.It is a good time to meet other hunters you have something in common with.

thanks guys. I was just wondering how they work. is therea certian area that has to b hunted or can you hunt anywhere as long as you make the check in times? are there prizes for big animal? most animals? basically is it similar to a bass tournament? Thank you all for the info.

Back