no luck with calling

I've been twice now and just can't figure out what call to use? I have a JS PM-4 and don't know what call they like on there, there's yotes around cause you can hear them at night time but during the evenings when I've tryed I have no luck? I also even bought a primos hot dog call to try and use but I can't figure out how to use it yet it just don't sound right. I don't know anybody else around here that hunts coyotes and such like I wanna do. Any help would be appreciated.

I've never made a reply like this and may never again, but here it goes...

Come see me for a couple of days. I've had pretty good sucess with callers at your stage of the game and sent them home calling coyotes. Not only here at Predator University, but also, as soon as they got home.
grin.gif

Welcome to Predator Masters, we're glad you are here.

Tony

Well it just don't seem like where I live in southeast texas that there's that many people if any around me that I know of that hunts yotes so I haven't got around locally to help me out with this. I really appreciate the offer Tony.

Two friends and myself went out yesterday evening and had no luck at all. I know they are because when I got home the were howling around the house!! Neighbor has cattle here so I don't shoot around them. I blame it on the weather, there is always tomorrow.

my bud carter and i have hunted preds. for yrs. now, for the past 3 yrs. he has guided big game all fall in co.,nm.,and tx. he tells me when you call in texas, its just like the vidieos, the come every time. keep callin' , you'll learn.

Yea but what I'm saying is I don't know what calls are affective in my part of the country? I don't know if the like distress calls or challenge calls? I've seen what people use out in west texas and south but never in the woods like we've got round here.

" I've never made a reply like this and may never again, but here it goes...

Come see me for a couple of days. "

WoW, take him up on that if you want to become Serious about predator huntin !

" Yea but what I'm saying is I don't know what calls are affective in my part of the country? I don't know if the like distress calls or challenge calls? I've seen what people use out in west texas and south but never in the woods like we've got round here. "

I know what you mean but I think you are asking the wrong questions. I live in central TX around Austin and Ive had luck with most calls just as other people do in the west, east, north U.S. etc...... whether it be howling or distress. Just keep at it and have Patience, NEVER give up. Mix your calling sequences from time to time and basically just throw the kitchen sink at'em. Of course that wont work everytime but its not a bad idea from my exp.
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
I am by far NOT an expert. But I will say this. If you do not have access to an experienced caller (which I did not), persistance is the key. It took me 15 months of trial and error with calling, sounds, stands scenting, weather etc to finally call something in. It was all trial and error. I could write a book of "what not to do" when calling! lol If you can hang with an experienced caller, do it, if not press on brother. If you read my old posts, I was where you are last year...

Feel free to PM me if you want to know what not to do!

Take Tony up on his offer. I learned from a retired federal trapper and it chopped off an enormous amount of the learning curve!! Just thinking of the goofy things I had done BEFORE he helped me out is embarassment in itself.

Tony can do you a lot of good!!!

I guess I need to clarify. I was just saying to come see me at PU. It's what I do. I wasn't offering a free hunt.
grin.gif

Now, you said that not many, if any call coyotes in your area. That's a good thing...and real good thing. Count yourself blessed!

So, if you can't figure out what call to use, try this. Start a stand with rabbit distress (hit them on their stomaches first) for 10-15 minutes. If no response, try a series or two of some lonesome howls (hit them on curiosity, territorial, mating), sit silent for 5 mins or so, then him the with some injured coyote / Ki-Yi (hit them on curiosity, territorial, paternal) for a couple of minutes. If still no response, try a few more mins of rabbit distress.

That's the sequence I've been having good luck with this time of year. Sometimes they come in on rabbit, sometimes howling, sometimes the ki-yi, sometimes....not at all.

Biggest tip: Get access to the best land you can...and lots of it.

Good luck and have fun.

Tony

I like to start with the locator/interrogation howls. Why: I like the idea of trying to provoke a response, because a response lets me know there are dogs in the area and they are active. I also don't believe this to be a call that will turn the dogs off to you should they not respond or start working your way.

But I've read many counts of guys liking to start right away with rabbit distress, this way they can start a bit softer as not to spook any close coyotes.

I'd like to know what Tony or the more experienced Gents think of this...??

If there was trend to be noticed on here it would be that none of us were experts after only two times out. Its not like on the videos where you have succes on every stand, they don't show you the stands that don't produce. It takes alot of time to get good at this. Coyotes and other predators are learning this game much faster than we are and are becoming harder to call every year. You have to pay your dues and after many frustrating hunts things finally come together. Than you will hit areas where the yotes are well educated and you will think you forgot everything you learned. Remember they call it coyote hunting not coyote killing.

"I guess I need to clarify. I was just saying to come see me at PU. It's what I do. I wasn't offering a free hunt.

Now, you said that not many, if any call coyotes in your area. That's a good thing...and real good thing. Count yourself blessed!

So, if you can't figure out what call to use, try this. Start a stand with rabbit distress (hit them on their stomaches first) for 10-15 minutes. If no response, try a series or two of some lonesome howls (hit them on curiosity, territorial, mating), sit silent for 5 mins or so, then him the with some injured coyote / Ki-Yi (hit them on curiosity, territorial, paternal) for a couple of minutes. If still no response, try a few more mins of rabbit distress.

That's the sequence I've been having good luck with this time of year. Sometimes they come in on rabbit, sometimes howling, sometimes the ki-yi, sometimes....not at all.

Biggest tip: Get access to the best land you can...and lots of it."

Thanks Tony that's exactly what I was looking for was what I was doing doing different than what ya'll was doing. I'll try that when I go out this weekend and try it again. I'll keep trying EVERY weekend till I get me something. I'm just not good with hand calls at all.

Jason setup is key, watch your wind. you probably knew that just thought id throw it out there. ive been having bad luck so far only called in one which busted me. we have alot of non pressured coyotes, why were having such a hard time idk, havent payed our dues i guess. well get together one day after deer season is over. thats were all my callin spots are except one and i think ive called it way to much here lately.

Calling East Texas and then calling most of Texas you see in the videos may be two different things.

There are definately coyotes, bobcat and fox here, and they can be called.

Two dry trips is certainly not unusual.

Distress sounds are definately the way to go, and using the foxpro especially with remote will give you some advantages.

Calling with hand calls in the thickets isn't the best bet. Like you, many of the spots I hunt the max visibility is often 50 yards or maybe even half that. In those cases, they have you pegged before you see them if you are using handcalls or have the caller sitting next to you.

I have had very good luck with foxpro sounds like:

rabbit distress #1
dsg cottontail
jackrabbit distress (yes I know, we don't have any jackrabbit for a couple hundred miles)
lightning jack
coyote pup distress

The problem you are likely experiencing is you are calling animals, but they are circling down wind of you, and you never know it because you can't see far enough to know it.

Another key is, get enough places to call that you are not calling the same spot over and over. The more open areas you can get the better off you will be.

The hunt seen in my avatar is a typical calling spot. I could see down a shooting lane about 50 yards long and 10 feet wide. I was down wind of the caller. The coyote ran out between me and the caller. I had about 3 or 4 seconds to get the shot off. You better be ready. If he had circled a little farther down wind I would never have seen him. If he hadn't stopped for a split second, I never would have gotten a shot.

I called in a gray fox last Friday night. He was there in less than a minute, but I didn't see him for the tall grass until he barked at me. I then picked up the eyes, but he was gone. He was less than 20 yards.

We are not that far apart. Maybe we can get together after deer season is over.

Back