Setting up in deep snow

cmatera

Here's my problem. Only place I can set up is in the fence rows. With 12" of snow, the drifts in the fence rows are probably 18". I did drive my 4 wheeler around to make tracks to walk back in. I came home with a wet frozen butt, fell a couple times in the crusty snow when my feet broke thru the crust, and couldn't get my bipod level in the snow (one leg in snow other in my footprint. How do you guys do it?

I'll second that padded seat. Even with gortex on your going to get wet and cold. I cary a fanny pack for all my calls and such. I just put a zip tie through the foam pad and make a loop to run the belt through so I don't have to carry it in my hands.

boat seat cushion works perfect, its white, and filled with dense foam so it reflects your body heat back to you.

I can feel your frustration! Dito on the padded seat though. As far as your shooting sticks go I have found when the snow is deep and crusted over just fold your sticks back together and use it as a single shooting stick to shoot off of. Not as steady but better than nouthing.

That sounds like hunting in the snow to me.
tt2.gif

I use a padded seat and tramp the snow down in the area I will be sitting and possibly moving my shooting sticks. It doesn't seem to throw any incoming dogs off and it can save frustration and missed shots due to the one leg on solid ground and the other in snow thing you mentioned.

Nate

Back