iNY coyote hunters - how they howlin?

erict

This is my fourth year of coyote hunting, and each year I get more into it. This year I started coyote hunting much earlier than ever, going out evenings after the deer hunt (and skipping the morning hunt). I hunt deer in central Oneida County, northern Onondaga County and souther Oswego County. I will also state that the areas I hunt have a good to great coyote population.

My question is this: I have put in quite a few hours after dark, several until well after midnight, but have yet to have coyotes respond to my coyote interrogation howls (electronic or mouth calls). I typically start with rabbit in distress for a while, then grey fox pup in distress (fox in the area). This netted me two coyotes and a red fox so far. I then often go to the interrogation howl. I have not had a single vocal reply to the interrogation howl yet this year. Is it common to hear less replies earlier in the season and more as breeding season kicks in?

I have done quite a bit of later Jan/early Feb. calling and between the interrogation howl, male challenge and female invitation I have gotten great responses in the past. Thanks in advance for any advice/ideas.

Last edited:
Yes they will respond more in jan/feb due to the mateing season. I only get responses if I start out with a howl. I've never had one howl back if I play distress sounds then howl, but I've had them come in after the howl without a verbal response.

I was hunting in the Finger Lakes region the second week in Dec and we had a group answer to a lone howl, and we were going back and forth a few times with a serenade (sp) I was primarily using distress and nothing was happening so I tried some howls. But them never came in.

Gabe

The other night I get home from work around 9:30pm, As I am getting out of the car I hear a pack of yotes howlin and yippin, out in the back woods, So I go in the house and grab my Primos Mini Mag Howler Went out on the back deck gave a howl, WOW!!! I must really suck, everything went dead quite, not another peep. So I do it again and still nothing, Did I scare them off or did I p!ss them off. I didn't stay out to see if they had came down in the orchard or not, and I didn't hear them the rest of the night. Do you think I might have ruined that spot?

Yeah,, That was kinda stupid, I will chalk that one up to just not thinking, Really all I wanted to do is see if I could get them to howl back to me, I guess I am a little naive when it comes to coyote knowledge. Every day there is a lesson to be learned, and the lesson that day was, DON'T howl at them from the deck. I have to remember they are alot smarter than I give them credit for. Thanks for the reality check. And no offense taken. From now on I will only Howl and call to them if I am in a position to kill em. I guess it's better to call in one and kill it, rather than call in one and educate three. Thanks.

Daryl

Originally Posted By: knockemdownDon't take offense here bowfreak, but what did you expect to happen when you howled from the back deck of your house???

Where you seriously trying to call a coyote in to your house?

Give them some credit, coyotes can pinpoint EXACTLY where that howl came from. And they know full well that houses=people=DANGER!

IMHO, you could have made the most perfect textbook howl ever produced by man and you'd have still gotten the same response...NONE.

I have a rule about NEVER calling to a coyote unless I'm in a position to kill him and he feels safe about coming for my bullet...
smile.gif

Coyotes ARE just animals. But they ain't stupid...

This statement is not true...I have seen and heard coyotes this year right on someones back lawn howling and fired up the near by group which was very close to the house to start..I have howled off the back deck of my friends house and had them light up in the nearby woods..I actually was up in the Adirondacks a few years ago and howled from my friends driveway and had several dogs fire up across the lake! Coyotes are opportunistic which means they will get in your trash or kill a cat sitting on the back lawn..they have learned do deal with humans in their environment! I'm sure bowfreak just wanted to see if the local dogs thought he sounded good..no harm done you'll get em
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NY Yote28Originally Posted By: knockemdownDon't take offense here bowfreak, but what did you expect to happen when you howled from the back deck of your house???

Where you seriously trying to call a coyote in to your house?

Give them some credit, coyotes can pinpoint EXACTLY where that howl came from. And they know full well that houses=people=DANGER!

IMHO, you could have made the most perfect textbook howl ever produced by man and you'd have still gotten the same response...NONE.

I have a rule about NEVER calling to a coyote unless I'm in a position to kill him and he feels safe about coming for my bullet...
smile.gif

Coyotes ARE just animals. But they ain't stupid...

This statement is not true...I have seen and heard coyotes this year right on someones back lawn howling and fired up the near by group which was very close to the house to start..I have howled off the back deck of my friends house and had them light up in the nearby woods..I actually was up in the Adirondacks a few years ago and howled from my friends driveway and had several dogs fire up across the lake! Coyotes are opportunistic which means they will get in your trash or kill a cat sitting on the back lawn..they have learned do deal with humans in their environment! I'm sure bowfreak just wanted to see if the local dogs thought he sounded good..no harm done you'll get em
thumbup1.gif

Agreed,no harm done. Alot of the time they howl back and have no intention of coming to check it out.Almost like a turkey shock gobbles,same as a coyote howling when a siren goes off.....

I haven't heard much howling around me for a couple years now,don't know if I educated them or others.Seems like there are a fair amount of hunters around.?

Back