Organized Predator Hunts

Lee and Penny

Sportmans Cub/ Organized Predator Hunting. Now this may have come up numerous times before. But me being a newbie to the site will touch on this again. If you are in a sportsmans club you should strongly consider organizing a predator hunt open to the public. Its a good money maker for the club, and of course slimming the number of predators will help lessen mortality on other species. A current NRA magazine has stated up to 73% of new fawns are killed by coyotes in some parts of the U.S. These organized hunts have caught on like crazy in the U.P of Michigan where I call home. Heres how it works, charge $25 to enter per hunter, and points are given out for each animal harvested, Bobcats are worth 30 points each, coyote 25, and fox 15. In the case of a tie at the end you weigh all animals and the group with the highest weight total will be the tie breaker. The hunts can last 3 days, or up to a month. what ever you want. To keep people honest, a current newspaper is rolled up and put in the mouth of the animal with a zip tie to hold the mouth shut. That way you know it has been harvested during the hunt. Road kills and trapped animals are not counted. Also at the end of the hunt things like hunting items and a gun or two are raffled off. and good times are had by all. Usually the hunts in my area are held in the winter time after the deer season is over.

Lee

Back