hunting crows with a rifle

6mm06, you need to try some long range shots on crows with your CZ. I know the 17HMR is up to it and so is that tack driving CZ! ~Marco

Marco,

Maybe I'll get an opportunity this winter. Seems most of the places I shoot are in the 100 yard range. I need to see what the rifle will do. But at 100 yards a crow is in peril if he sits too long.

Have you killed any crows this summer with your HMR? I took a few can't wait for deer season to get over so I can get my HMR in the woods. I like to deer hunt but Id rather blow the feathers off of an ol crow sitting on a fence post! ~Marco

No, no crows this summer. Our crow season doesn't begin until August, and ends sometime in March. I did go on a crow shoot (shotguns) after season came in, called a few, but what I really enjoy is snow hunting and sniping with the 17 HMR.

I use a beeman HW97K .20mm pellet gun, furthest was 67 yrds from the top of a tree. But most effective is driving around and shooting them of elect. lines and tree tops. I like to think of it as suburbin' sniping.

This Q is for 6mm06
When shooting at your Crows what part of the crow (head,sideway wing or head on chest) is your favorite spot to hit ???? And are the 17grn. realy make that big of a Poof of feathers ??? I been working on a way to get close up Vidio remotely. Thanks Jeff
smile.gif

Jeff,

I have only shot a few crows with the 17 gr. bullets. I mainly use the 20 grain CCI Game Points. They just seem to drop them better, in my experience anyway, plus they shoot good.

As to a poof of feathers, I really don't see that. Normally when the rifle cracks, the crows just go straight down.

Aiming point for me is wherever I can get a good body shot. I don't shoot for the head.

Seems we both think alike about wanting some video. I've been wanting to do that for some time, but it's difficult to get it on video and be a one-man-show. Since I normally hunt alone, it's just too difficult to do.

6mm06, you said when the rifle cracks the crows go straight down. Boy thats the truth! 17 HMR best crow round ever! And deer season is over in my zone so that means I'll have my HMR out in the morning and I may have mine loaded with the 20XTPs. ~Marco

I have a Ruger 77/Hornet love it! I like the HMR better for crows its quieter and I don't worrie about that little HMR bullet down range as much. I shoot the Hornet with max load of H110 and the 35gr. v-max it shoots alot flatter than the HMR but boy is it loud and most of the time you don't need 3,000fps. to kill a crow, I guess I could down load the Hornet some, I might give that a try but I do love my Hornet. ~Marco

Originally Posted By: 6mm06Jeff,

I have only shot a few crows with the 17 gr. bullets. I mainly use the 20 grain CCI Game Points. They just seem to drop them better, in my experience anyway, plus they shoot good.

As to a poof of feathers, I really don't see that. Normally when the rifle cracks, the crows just go straight down.

Aiming point for me is wherever I can get a good body shot. I don't shoot for the head.

Seems we both think alike about wanting some video. I've been wanting to do that for some time, but it's difficult to get it on video and be a one-man-show. Since I normally hunt alone, it's just too difficult to do.
I have a plan!
some time back I put my Trail Cam on a roadkill dear a got some great shots of Crows flying in and on carcuss. I finaly remeberd that I can set it for 90 seconds of Vidio. So heres my plan. I take the Trail Cam on a short tripod and set it 20 feet from a fresh road kill. Set it on Vidio and head for my blind 75-100 yards away. Now its been my experiance that the Cam will start shooting as they are landing. So once they land I will have about 90 seconds to aquire target and shoot. Should be a good show,problem is I cant get out to do it before first week of January. I had a 17HMR but sold it,now im getting another. Do they drop quik with the 17grn.W/tip? or do they drop quiker with 20 Grn.? Well thats the plan what do you think? Or would I be better off to same the money and use my .22 Mag with Rem 33grn.BT? My concern is Ricocets............Thanks Jeff
smile.gif

Last edited:
I have been lucky enough to catch them out wondering in a field from time to time while out groundhog hunting(doesnt happen often) but I have been able to connect on a couple of them with a 223.

Jeff,

I have both a 17 HMR and a 22 Mag. I've owned three mags over the years, and while they shot ok, the HMR shoots great (accuracy wise and trajectory). For me, the HMR is hands down my go-to rifle for sniping crows. I've used the 22 mag and I like it, just like the HMR better. That's my personal preference anyway.

I wish you good luck with your video idea. Should be interesting and I'd like to see the clip if ever you get it.

Marco,

Too bad we live so far apart. Would be nice to get together for some winter-time crow sniping.

Its not that far and youll get to see the mountians of western Arkansas. Ive been over in your part of the country and where I live is alot like the mountians and hills of the east. And your welcome to come anytime I'll put you up we'll eat good my wife is a great cook! Me and you together with our HMRs there won't be a crow left. ~Marco

Hey, that's a great invitation, Marco. Maybe one of these times I'll take you up on it. You are welcome here as well. In the meantime, lets drop some crows this winter and keep in touch.

David

Last edited:
Back