6.5 or 6.8???

Before you finalize your decision (and I know that the "WSSM" cartridges are failing as a commercial success...

But, read through this guy's site http://www.dtechsuperstore.com/WSSM%20page.htm

The .25WSSM handloaded will feed through an AR 15 platform.

The .243 WSSM will feed "all" factory ammo.

Now, if you are willing to go to an AR10 platform, the sky is the limit..

You get "almost" .25-06 performance from the .25WSSM. I have had great luck/success with my .25s (.25-06 and .257R). The .25WSSM has that 500-600yd ability that you are seeking.

Well i have to admit that since i have a 6.8 upper on order, i'm a little one way about them as well. Bfore you buy a 6.8 upper or barrel you really should read the info at bison armory, it explains the why and how as to the 1/11 twist spec 2 barrel becoming standard for that caliber.

I think there is a 6.5 forum but i don't know where, maybe someone will help with that. blue

Originally Posted By: mx842Thanks your post was very helpful. Don't take this wrong but what you said about the easy access to different ammo for the 68, well the guys that like the 65's say the very same thing.LOL

I'm pretty sure I'm going with the 68 and maybe at some time in the future I'll build a 65 just for grins. Santa Clause don't know I know it, but I'm getting a Rock chucker press for Christmas. I have already bought 223 and 9mm dies just in case and I see a set of 68 dies in the very near future.LOL I have already got my loading bench built just waiting for Santa to come by Christmas morning so I can mount it.

I got away from rifle shooting a long time ago because we use shotguns for deer around here but have always wanted to get back to shooting my rifle but finding a place suitable around my neck of the woods is hard to do. Then I got hooked on the AR wagon and it's been down hill, or up hill depending on which way you look at it LOL, and when that happened a whole new world opened up for me.

I have some friends from all over the country and have the chance now to go to different parts of the country to hunt all different sorts of game and the AR platform is perfect for what I want out of a shooter. Thanks for all of your help.

I would ask to see where that "easy access" to Grendel ammmo
is? For 6.8 ammo, go to Silver State Armory, or Hornady,
and I think even Remington has some 6.8 ammo. Grendel, not so
much.
grin.gif

As for what to ask for in a barrel, I would look at a 1:11
twist, although a 1:10 with a SPC II chamber, would be OK.
For the 1:11 twist barrels, I don't think any will have the
old SAAMI chamber, since when barrel makers switched to the
slower twist, they also switched to the SPC II chamber at
a minimum. Some went with a third generation chamber like
the DMR.

My perfect 6.8 barrel would be a 1:11 twist stainless
barrel with a DMR chamber. I have a 1:10 twist chome/moly
with a SPC II chamber now, and I get decent accuracy, and
velocity, out of it. As for chrome lined, I wouldn't get one
unless I going into combat with the rifle, where it was
going to get shot hot.

As for hunting, a 110 gr. Barnes TSX, from a 6.8 is easily a
good deer rifle. And it is a better choice over the popular
243 Win, IMHO, for the recoil sensitive. For elk, and black
bear, it wouldn't be my first choice, but within reason, it
will do. I intend to drag mine along on the next WY speed
goat hunt. For speed goats, I am considering the 85 gr.
Barnes bullet, but for deer it will be the 110 gr.

Squeeze

Last edited:

yeah I was reading an article yesterday about that very topic. Reading that was the last straw and is where I based my almost for sure final decision of going the 6.8 route. The last thing I wasn't sure of was the barrel material but I think I'll go with a stainless. I was looking at one at a gun show last month and I almost bought it but as it turned out he didn't have one in 68 and he tried to push a 6.5 on me and I backed off. He's supposed to have several at this show this weekend and I going to go to see what he brought just for the heck of it. I already have my lower built, ready and waiting but I may just stick to my plan of piecing this one together a little at a time because money is getting a little tight with this great obumer economy we have going on around here.

Nice read and I book marked it so I could go back and look some more later on. Money is kind of tight right now and I don't want to look too much cause my wife has a new Glock and just dying to use it. I'd hate for her to have to try it out on me.LOL

Gee thanks....as if I didn't already have enough mess to read and cornfuse
confused.gif
myself more.LOL Both of those pages were good reads and as with several others in this thread I book marked it for future reference. Thanks

Originally Posted By: mx842Does the AR 10 lower work with the 6.5/08 upper configuration? I mean I guess it does but I thought the AR 10 lower was larger than the 556 style? [beeep], I love this site I've learned more here than I ever did on the AR15 site. Those guys a brutal over there.

Yes.

It amazes me how simple things become so difficult around here some times. The 6.5 will do anything the 6.8 will do, only better. Plus a wider selection of (higher BC) bullets are available, and better brass. Very easy decision. If you don't handload, buy a 6.8..........

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunIt amazes me how simple things become so difficult around here some times. The 6.5 will do anything the 6.8 will do, only better. Plus a wider selection of (higher BC) bullets are available, and better brass. Very easy decision. If you don't handload, buy a 6.8..........

2much,

I've come to the same conclusion after looking around.

Can you think of any compelling reasons to pick a 6.5 over a 25 wssm though, other than price?

Who do you know that makes a quality 6.5 upper? Who's the best deal that will make me a 16" upper, with no flash hider (NY is a no AW state), that will likely shoot under 1moa?

Last edited:
Bullmastiff,
man i just luv them dawgs,,,
nothin' to do with 6.5s or 6.8s but I was just lookin' at a bridle male up for adoption last night,,,,

vix

Sorry I got side tracked by your avatar... I like the grendel but ammo isn't cheap and it's hard to find....
Same with the Beowulf from AA.

Originally Posted By: BullmastiffSorry I'm late to the party boys.....I know - the 6.8 guys dread when I show up.... for 6.5 Grendel info go here

www.65grendel.com

I got to go put my boys to bed....be back

Bull... not at all!! I was looking for that link!! Thanks!!!
grin.gif

Has anyone had any dealings with bisonarmory.com? I've been looking at their uppers and they seem to be good quality. What do you guys think?

Back