Stupid newbie question 22 WRF vs 22 WMR

somebody will correct me if I am wrong but the WRFs are a lower velocity rd for older 22mag rifles and pistols. I have looked at them a bit but not done alot of research on them. HAPPY HUNTING

The WRF has a shorter case, and is lower powered, but it can be shot in a .22 WMR firearm.

Sorta like .22 shorts or longs in a .22 LR chamber (no, you shouldn't shoot any of these in a firearm marked WMR or WRF).

.22 WMR can't be shot in a firearm chambered for WRF; much the way a .22 LR can't be shot in a firearm chambered for .22 shorts.

Daryl

I must be stupid, too, because I never knew what a 22WRF was, and I'm 55 years old.
grin.gif

Hey Evil, I'm 65 and I grew up with the 22WRF. Amazing what 10 years will do.

grin.gif
grin.gif

As said earlier the 22WRF is a short version of the 22 WMR. That statement is like saying the 38SP is a short 357M or the 44SP is a short 44M. I think you can get my drift here.

Originally Posted By: Daryl much the way a .22 LR can't be shot in a firearm chambered for .22 shorts. Daryl

i have an old winchester 47 that shoots short, long or long rifle. stamped on the barrel.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sweatybettyOriginally Posted By: Daryl much the way a .22 LR can't be shot in a firearm chambered for .22 shorts. Daryl

i have an old winchester 47 that shoots short, long or long rifle. stamped on the barrel.

I have a Win 72 that's stamped the same way, which means it has a .22 LR chamber. You can shoot shorts in any firearm chambered in .22 LR, but the shorts/longs may or may not feed through the magazine.

But some firearms are chambered for .22 short ONLY, and won't chamber a LR cartridge.

Daryl

The .22 WRFs are great for shooting edible small game with a .22 magnum rimfire. They have slightly more power than the long rifle cartridge. I shoot squirrels with wrfs from my scoped Smith and Wesson 648 magnum handgun, and they shoot to the same point of aim out to 50 yards as the magnum cartridges. They a also a LOT quieter. The WRFs really add versitality to a magnum firearm.

Back