Anyone have any success calling back coyotes that spotted you?

d2admin

Administrator
Sunday my partner and I drove into a valley and 3 coyotes ran up the other side about 500yds out. We acted like we were just passing through and sat for a while after they were gone and took our time getting our equipment together. We hiked up where they went and put out the call. No response. Were we wasting our time or has anyone else had that experience and been able to call them back?

actually yes i was calling in a field and had 2 yotes come in to the side of me.. i couldnt see them cuz of a brush pile in my way so i got up to leave and when igot up i saw them by that time they saw me and i was like oh man...there is no hunting in this area...so i sat back down and used a mouth call and the came running back in and tried to wind me it was so cool

RK-NM--I have had the same problem, if I followed them up right away. However, I have done very well, if I left and went somewhere for several hours and then came back.

Coyotes/red fox are very nocturnal. If you don't bother them for several hours after they have seen you, they probably won't go to far during the day. I like to come back to these kinds of spots the last hour before sundown; by then you can oftentimes have their undivided attention.

I would take the advice of Greenside here and Steve Allen both. Both are correct in my opinion. I too have had them come in after they spotted me but not very often. Wiley E

Over the Christmas break we were driving along and I spot three coyotes in the middle of a field. My friend wanted to take the 450 yd shot and I said let me try something dad would do.

Drove close to a 1/2 mile away. Hid the truck, got on a small null near a fence line. Hit the Ap-3 Jack call and within 4 minutes all three were within 30 yds when the shooting commenced.

I have found it is almost impossible to call in animals you see or at least thats been my experiences. Most coyotes I call in usually take from 2-7 minutes.

Chad

The areas we hunt in are vast stretches of public land with many canyons and mountains. We've often wondered how many coyotes we've driven past that we never saw but they saw us on our way to a stand and whether they would respond or not.

Okay, the idea of attempting to call a coyote that has already seen you, you usually won't get very many, especially if he saw you shoot at him, or his buddy. So, what can we do?

Sometimes, for instance, you get his buddy and he books. Well, maybe he did, (?) but not too far, he is just out of sight. Sometimes they will look back just before they reach cover. A clue. This means they might be waiting for buddy. A hurt pup may get you a look, maybe not?

One time, years ago, I broke off a stand, and went out to collect what I had on the ground, while my partner was circling around in the other direction. He didn't have to go far, but as quietly as possible, selecting a spot with a nice field of view, and started a low coaxer, or lip squeak. The other guy, (me) had the attention of the coyote that was out in the brush, but he overlooked the partner. This works, I now do it all the time. I will also do it all by myself, if you can move without being seen. I told Jay Nistetter how to do it a few years ago, and he got the animal, the next time he tried it. It's amazing, just a little change of direction, and the coyote can be called eagarly, when he ain't buying it, where you used to be. Of course, this isn't going to work out in the flats, you need to understand when to apply it, but I assure y'all, you will get shot opportunities, if you handle it properly. They are so smart, and yet the instinct to come to a distress is so strong, they can't help it sometimes. It feels good when you get one of these, all but lost animals.

Now, truthfully, I have been using two machines for more than a couple seasons for just this sort of thing. Many times, I don't even turn the second machine on, but under the conditions described above, suspicion seems to be removed, and the one that got away gets dusted by that second sound coming from a different LOCATION; which is the more important consideration. Some guys can't use this, but in areas where you have a high population, and enough cover, I have found this technique to be worthwhile.

Good hunting. LB

I I see one cross the road I will drive past a little ways then stop as soon as out of view and sneak out in the direction they went not behind them and call get probly 95 percent to come never been able to call them following them from behind done it on a couple of cats to and they came right in. Been seen walking in can't say for sure that I called them in or more that was in the same area

Yep, many times. As long as they dont smell you there is always hope. If they just catch a glimpse they may not know what you are. If they even think they might have possibly smelt you, its over.

a post resurrected from 17 years ago!!

Is that a record?

Yes I have called coyotes back after jumping them while walking to a stand. I've even called coyotes back after running 400 yards after a miss.

All scenarios are tough but doable under the right conditions

Originally Posted By: Seebassa post resurrected from 17 years ago!!

Is that a record?

Yes I have called coyotes back after jumping them while walking to a stand. I've even called coyotes back after running 400 yards after a miss.

All scenarios are tough but doable under the right conditions

Dang! I didnt even notice the date.

I call this Suicide by Coyote Hunter. Happened in NM a couple years ago.

Stand two, set up and started to call over an large opening in the manzinita humps. After the last stand I rushed the shot and missed, the coyote ran out about 150 yards and stopped, turned and started coming back to the caller, totally shocked at his antics I fumbled to reload the rifle barrel on the combo gun and preceded to miss again on a trotting shot. Off he goes out to the brush and stops and decides that the caller is still sending out "come eat me" sound and he decides to try one more time and after another hurried reload I settled down and waited for him to stop and drilled him perfectly at 170 yards. Two shots with a un-surpresssed 22 Savage Highpower kicking up dirt around him and he still can't resist the call. He wasn't a pup either in fact one of the largest males I've killed here.

Some days it doesn't make any difference how you shoot. This was in Feb.

I have had a handful come back after bugging out when carrying only a camera and not shooting at them.

Just noticed how many of the old members that posted on this thread way back in the day have been banned. A shame. Some really good experienced callers.

- DAA

I’ve had some success driving by a coyote and going over a hill and walking back abit . Then had it come in. In a case like that it may matter on how much traffic they may be used to traveling on the road you are by.

I called two in this morning that saw me from about 600 yds away... got one & missed the other. I agree that wind/smell has a lot to do with it. I also went below a hill and called from a direction different from where they saw me. Never give up!

Old thread but good one

I come back later that day or another day if alone.

If I'm with a friend sometimes one guy can get out quick and hide and the other can drive off. After 10 minutes or so the guy that stayed can sometimes call the bumped coyote in. Coyotes learn what vehicle noise means, they react to it but calm down quick when it's gone. They learn what a stopped vehicle means too, a gun coming out the window, so get everything ready and have vehicle stop as short a time as possible when using this trick. The longer the vehicle is stopped the more nervous the coyote is.

Last edited:
I assume "calling back" means one that's heading in the opposite direction (from being missed, a double or was bumped on the way in)...so rarely. If so I don't remember. More times than not it's another one responding to the call, not the one scared off.

Just seems odd answering such an old thread but I have called a few back, even a few that I had already shot at. Must have been real hungry.

Back