Big Stinky Boars

Yellowhammer

Staff member
That seems to be all I can see. I killed a big one yesterday
on the way to take the kids deer hunting.

KidsmeHog09.jpg

Then this morning I killed an even bigger stinkyer one. This one was on public land where I was deer hunting. He came by me while I was in my climber just at the crack of day. If he hadn't been so close I wouldn't have been able to see him. Even with a 130grain 270 behind the shoulder, he went about 60 yards. This one had the whole woods stinkin'.

BannisterBoar11-09.jpg

BannBoar11-09.jpg

Now if I could just get one fit for me to eat, and not just the coyotes.

Last edited:
Yellowhammer - you can eat'em!

I've eaten plenty of big nasty boars. All you need to do is get it quartered up quick and on ice. Pour in 1 cup of white vinegar and 1 cup of lemon juice. The following day, drain the liquid and start over, more ice, lemon juice, and vinegar. Do it again a third day. The smell should be gone. If not, you can go a 4th day but I never have. After that, process as normal. All of that wild hog smell will be gone and the meat is just as good as the smaller ones.

Last edited:
Hogs are nowhere near as predictable as deer. You might yell or whistle and they'll be gone in a heartbeat. I believe I'd chance a shot on a moving one before I made noise to stop them. They can run VERY fast and if there is more than one, they'll go in every direction.

Jeff

I never yell or whistle even at deer. I will make a grunt sound for deer "baaa" that usually works.

I think it will for hogs too.

ill get cross hairs on deer and whistle to get them to stop or if there runing need to stop them il whistle if that dont work then ill yell . what do you got to loose if there runing away..they will stop most of the time.. ook reason i was asking ve got a farm i trap on and just started hunting it and they got hogs and where i was hunting i only had one opening 200yrds away to shoot if they came around the hill

Back