Let's see those Thanksgiving BIRDS!!!`

I brined mine about 36 hours also. Smoked for 6 hours with apple wood. Jeff I used your brine, sure glad I did. The skin looks really dark but is not chewy or over smoked at all. I'm stuffed!

doneturkey.jpg

That bird looks PERFECT! The dark skin just tells me that you had a lot of smoke going on when you put the bird in.

Applewood should have given it a very nice light smoke taste.

So tell me, how did the bird taste with the brine? Was it moist?

Details buddy, details.

I actually used hickory for the first time on mine, and it turned out very well. I didn't use a lot of hickory, just a bit. I think that a little hickory goes along way, so I kept it light.

It was so moist it needed no gravy. Brining is the only way to go. The apple cider gave it a awesome flavor. I did inject it with unsalted butter but that just added a butter flavor of course. The smoke was thin and blue but I ran the smoke for about 3 hours. Soaked the chips over night so they smoldered low. I also rubbed it with canola oil before going on the smoker and brushed some more on at 2 and 4 hours in. Ive done alot of chickens with hickory or mesquite and Im really liking with apple. Gonna try some cherry next on some game hens.

Back