Teriyake Steak & Scallops

Stu Farish

Director / Webmaster
Staff member
I made this one up from scratch yesterday.

1.5 lbs beef tenderloin
1 lb fresh bay scallops
1.5 or so bell peppers ( I used red, yellow & orange )
2 tbsp olive oil
Teriyake sauce
2 tspns corn starch

Trim all fat & sinew from the beef. Cut into bite size pieces.
Get the wok a bit warm, add the olive oil & swirl around to coat the wok. Turn the heat up to medium high & add the beef.

Cook, stirring regularly until about half cooked.
Add scallops. Cover, but check & stir frequently.

When mostly cooked, add bell peppers & teriyake sauce. I just poured what seemed a reasonable amount, maybe 5 or 6 tbsps. Stir well.

Add 2 tspns of cornstarch to thicken the sauce. Leave uncovered, stir well & cook until it thickens.

Serve over steamed rice.

To make the rice:

Use jasmine rice. 2 cups of rice with 1 cup of water. Bring to a biol, boil for 1 minute. Cover & reduce heat to low, cook for 10 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Turn off the heat & leave for 10 more minutes.

Most rice I've cooked is 2 cups of water, 1 cup of rice...pour the rice into boiling water and then simmer for about 15 min, let set..

tonights version:

3 fillet mignon, about 10 ounces each
1 lb fresh bay scallops
1 lb large shrimp, peeled & deviegned
1 lb broccoli tops
1.5 or so bell peppers ( I used red, yellow & orange )
2 tbsp olive oil
Teriyaki sauce
2 tspns corn starch

Trim all fat & sinew from the beef. Cut into bite size pieces.

Cut the brocolli up.

Get the wok a bit warm, add the olive oil & swirl around to coat the wok. Turn the heat up to medium high & add the beef.

Cook, stirring regularly until about half cooked.
Add scallops, shrimp and broccoli. Cover, but check & stir frequently.

When mostly cooked, add bell peppers & teriyaki sauce. I just poured what seemed a reasonable amount, maybe 5 or 6 tbsps. Stir well.

Add 2 tspns of cornstarch to thicken the sauce. Leave uncovered, stir well & cook until it thickens.

Note: it's easier to add the sauce & cornstarch earlier, before adding any veggies. I put it in late & it was a lot harder to stir in evenly.

If you would rather make your own Teriyaki this is what I use:

1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
5 oz. soy sauce
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup pineapple juice (Orange juice can replace this)

Depending on how much I'm making I'll use about a whole onion, and you can also add a few splashed of your favorite rum.

That meal sounds great. I'll have to try it out.

Another change I think I'll try is this:

Cook the beef until medium rare. Remove it & place in a covered container. Ditto for any scallops, shrimp or whatever.

Add the teriyaki sauce, veggies etc. When they're close to being cooked enough add the beef back in.

That should result with the beef being medium rather than well done.

Back