Squeakin' in AK

Redneck.Soldier

Bran new to the forum, but Ive been hunting coyotes since I was about 14. Up here in Fairbanks, just got back from deployment. Me and a buddy want to go see if we have any luck trying to hunt some wolves up here. Never done it, everyone just tells me Im crazy when I ask about it.....so does anybody have experience hunting wolves? Any tips or help I can get would be greatly appreciated.

geta good long track/wide track snowmachine and start covering ground. Finding a fresh kill is ideal as they are usually too full of meat to run away very well. If you know anyone with a plane have them keep thier eyees open.

If you are going to call them while the bears are still out be real careful. I read one story where a guy was calling wolves in AK, and didn't come home. They found some of his stuff scattered around, that's been a few years ago. Maybe you heard about it.

Haven't really focused on wolves yet, but will soon. Got a buddy in FBKS that has called them in from the heated cab of his pickup - gotta love that kind of luck. If you haven't yet, get a copy of Larry Kinman's book 'Hunting the Hunters'. It's a good read, with some wolf info in it. Not quite as informative as I'd have liked, but a good read none the less. Another good book is 'Alaska's Wolf Man' about Frank Glaser, again, not deep on instruction, but a lot of good background information and definitely interesting stuff.

You guys got snow on the ground in FBKS? None yet in South -central.

Yeah, Im trying to finish up some mods to my gun right now and get a setup put together for the winter. Kinda figured we would start hitting it really hard when we got a good stand of snow on the ground. We got about 1/2in a couple days ago but its all gone now...Ive got the guy's number who is charge of the furbearers club up here. I figured I would give him a call and see what he has to say.

Redneck.Soldier,
I sent you a PM with some info as well. Ak Flyfisher is right on about the two books he mentioned. Larry Kinmon's book is a really interesting read, but you need a snowmachine if you're going to get wolves the way he does. That, and a lot of time and long weekends to put hundreds of miles on the thing tracking and locating them. There was an article about a local Fairbanks guy in one of the predator magazines a few years ago. They did the flying, locate and call routine, but I don't believe that is legal anymore with the restricted same day hunting rules.

I Think that you can land and call if you have a trapping lisence and are so far from the plane during trapping season. Check the regs. If you look for the book by author try Rick Kinmon.

Last edited:
Metalmangeler,
I just checked the regs and they're still saying for Wolves that you can't shoot until 3AM following a day in which you have flown. You can however shoot one that is caught in a snare or trap the same day you've flown: Page 13 and 24 here:

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/regulations/pdfs/trapping.pdf

You can however shoot a Coyote, RedFox or Lynx as long as you're 300 feet away from the plane. If anybody is flying for Coyotes, Fox, and Lynx, I'd be real interested to know what kind of numbers you're getting.

Snowcammo I see that you are right, sorry for the misinformation. Lacking an airplane it won't have much effect on me, but it could on others. Seems like an odd law under the current circumsatances.

Redneck soldier I am in Fairbanks and also conveniently a soldier (but not for much longer)but staying here when I get out. I do lots of calling in the winter and have good luck with fox and lynx locally and yotes further south on the parks hwy. Maybe we can get together sometime this winter and do some calling. As for wolves you defiantly need a snow maching I have only come across them twice here but both times only had a .22 with me when I was checking my traps. What unit are you in?

Im in D Trp 6-17 CAV. My buddy that is going with me is in C co. 123 AVN. Sounds good, the more I can learn w/out spending all day freezing my butt off the better!

Hey Redneck ; First time I,ve scrolled down this far . I,m in Glennallen .I do a fair amount of driving delivering firewood , And I work out in the timber most days so I get to see some animals . and lots of tracks .. really what I do would be great for trapping but I like calling too much .. had a big beautiful coyote cross the road in front of me today , It wouldn,t stick it,s nose back out of the brush at my calling to get a .224 tsx bullet so that one lives for another day ...... I got hooked on wolf shooting in Southeast and today got a proper wolf rifle ... My 223 would work , but this one will drift less in the wind .... Alot of guys do most of their wolf hunting in the spring , while fur is still prime but it isn,t 40 below all the time ......... People think I,m nuts also , but there are some good callers around here , Old timers ... There are too many wolves ...... It seems wolves could use a specialty rifle , semi auto . Rick Kinmon uses , or at least used a Ruger M77mkII in 6 mm PPC with the 80 gr Hornady fmj bt @ 2800 fps . He chose it because it won,t blow out a fox or lynx's guts , but still dump a wolf . And it holds the wind better than a 22-250 ect.

Also , No doubt it,s a case of to each his own . But the toughness of the Ruger rifle goes a long ways to having a successful hunt . . And the ability to lock the bolt down when you put the safety on .............. I use CZs and Rugers , Rugers and CZs ...

Back