Pro hunting argument

Tjkiller

A lady posted this in a religion class i am taking. The argument was about using animals to better human life, in contrast to the vows of Jainism. Of course i was pushing the hunting issue. She replied that she had no problem with hunting or using animals for research because in Genesis 9:2-3. God told Noah "all wild animals and birds and fish will be afraid of you, for I have placed them in your power, and they are yours to use for food, in addition to grain and vegetables."

Last edited by a moderator:
If you will go farther back into Genesis 1 19-30

God gave Adam the responsibility of naming each and every creature of the earth 1:19-20, bird of the air, and fish of the sea.

God could have easily named each animal as he brought them from the dust of the earth, but He chose to allow mankind to be involved in this process. Because God knew that mankind was going to have live on the earth with the creatures, and He knew that man needed a solid source of protein to maintain their lives, clothes to cover their naked bodies, to make tools from, etc...

Gen: 1:28 "Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creatur that moves on the ground."

Gen: 1:29 "Then God said, "I give you every seed bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. 1:30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground - everything that the has breath of life in it - I give every green plant for food" And it was so.

Through Adam, God has given mankind (even modern day mankind) dominion, right, and priviledge to manage, and use animals for all our uses to sustain life.

Gary

Genesis 9:3 He commands them, "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

The First Book of Moses: Called Genesis
Chapter 27

Acts 10:13 "Get up ... Kill and eat."

Romans 14:2 ()
One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables.

And from a non Christian faith....look at your teeth.

And as far as hunting goes, when the power goes out for good, who is going to live and who is going to die. There will be no truck deliveries to the local grocery store.

Originally Posted By: OmnivoreGenesis 9:3 He commands them, "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

The First Book of Moses: Called Genesis
Chapter 27

Acts 10:13 "Get up ... Kill and eat."

Romans 14:2 ()
One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables.

And from a non Christian faith....look at your teeth.

And as far as hunting goes, when the power goes out for good, who is going to live and who is going to die. There will be no truck deliveries to the local grocery store.

I like you.

Originally Posted By: gcm321I like this. nice to read a little scripture.
+1
smile.gif

There are a couple ways of looking at this. If one kills Coyotes, and doesent eat them, is he wrong? "They most likely taste nasty" but on the other hand, are we justified by killing them because they kill the food we like. I think that this is where a hunter has to decide on his own. Good post.

I'll make this really short, but we can extend this if you are interested. Many scholars today believe that the books of the Pentateuch are compilations of texts, so that there are a numeber of different authors (4 in most reckonings) whose texts are later compiled into one text. In this case the two creation accounts become important. Modern ethicists like to use the Documentary Hypothesis to argue that the tradition that places humans alongside animals in creation is older and less influenced by later power structures. Thus, Gen 1 has "rule over and subdue" because it is influenced by later priests that have a concern for hierarchy. While Gen 2 has humans created from the earth because the Yahwist source was a farmer. Ethicists then privilege Gen 2 over Gen 1 because it is supposedly older and less invested.
As a side note, I can detect no difference in Hebrew grammar or diction between the two.

Coyotes are like locusts or a plague. They kill or destroy the bounties of life. As for using your kill there may be good fur and the meat can be dried and the jerky fed to your dogs.

like the passages! good job. it supports my theory that most hunters and most people who legally own guns have deep roots in their religion. religion....something the leaders of this country and most libs have forgotten about, thus leading to where this great nation is at now. and note that i dont say "this once great nation". the people, the true owners of this nation are still great and need to stand up and let their politicians know that WE ARE THE PEOPLE and to start representing our true desires. not the greedy desires of our corrupt govt. lol sorry got off track!

Originally Posted By: bigoledodgelike the passages! good job. it supports my theory that most hunters and most people who legally own guns have deep roots in their religion. religion....something the leaders of this country and most libs have forgotten about, thus leading to where this great nation is at now. and note that i dont say "this once great nation". the people, the true owners of this nation are still great and need to stand up and let their politicians know that WE ARE THE PEOPLE and to start representing our true desires. not the greedy desires of our corrupt govt. lol sorry got off track!

A little off the subject but right on track! God bless everyone that reads this. Good post!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357There are a couple ways of looking at this. If one kills Coyotes, and doesent eat them, is he wrong? "They most likely taste nasty" but on the other hand, are we justified by killing them because they kill the food we like. I think that this is where a hunter has to decide on his own. Good post.

David was qualified to take Goliath down in part because he'd successfully defended his flock against lions and bears.

But David said to Saul, "Your servant used to keep his father's sheep, and when a lion or a bear came and took a lamb out of the flock, I went out after it and struck it, and delivered the lamb from its mouth; and when it arose against me, I caught it by its beard, and struck and killed it. Your servant has killed both lion and bear; and this uncircumcised Philistine will be like one of them, seeing he has defied the armies of the living God." Moreover David said, "The LORD, who delivered me from the paw of the lion and from the paw of the bear, He will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine." And Saul said to David, "Go, and the LORD be with you!"
(1 Samuel 17:34-37 NKJV)

And the elders of Acts 20 are charged with the protection of the flock against "savage wolves among the flock".

Therefore, I don't see an issue with defending your "flock".

Don't overlook the fact, though, that killing and hunting occur AFTER The Fall. Therefore, I don't anticipate hunting coyotes in Heaven.

I like this thread! trentalan34, just wondering what your background is because the response was on the very deep side. NM HighPlains, yours was deep also, and maybe we will get to hunt something special in Heaven..could be very interesting. Bigolelodge, I agree with you. Oneryolfart357, I believe that we have to protect our 'flock' which can be interpreted to mean our food supply, as NM HighPlains covered.

Let's keep this one going for a bit.

Great to see people like you guys posting scriptures like this and applying it to our hunting way of life, you don't see it enough these days... one hour a week isn't nearly enough.

Originally Posted By: NM_HighPlainsAnd the elders of Acts 20 are charged with the protection of the flock against "savage wolves among the flock".

Therefore, I don't see an issue with defending your "flock".

You might get in trouble with the law for killing that kind of wolves.....

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357There are a couple ways of looking at this. If one kills Coyotes, and doesn't eat them, is he wrong? "They most likely taste nasty" but on the other hand, are we justified by killing them because they kill the food we like. I think that this is where a hunter has to decide on his own. Good post.

It does not say we can only kill animals to eat them. The Bible says we have dominion over the animals... We can use them as we like. I am not for abusing animals but I am all for killing them for food, clothing or because they are damaging something else we value. I am sure there are many more reasons I have not mentioned.

Back