Kiss Your Freedoms Goodbye If Health Care Passes

Tax that beer. Ain't no good for ya...

I agree with Dr. Scott on many points. I'm VERY hesitant to allow some bureacratic food police into my pantry, however. I'm 40, 5'10 and 160 pounds. I eat wild game and organic foods. I excercise regularly. I don't smoke or drink. Mrs. Dawg and the entire litter live the same way. At the very least, give likeminded folks a TAX CUT and have the lardbutts who ARE a burden on the system pay their "fair share".

Originally Posted By: DesertRam. The fact is we just don't take care of ourselves. My generation is the worst so far, and from what I see many of us are training our kids to be even worse. How many hours do today teens and pre-teens piss away in front of a TV, PC, or video game of some sort? How much junk do they eat? Unless we get off our collective behinds, average health will continue to decline.

i would bet that most of those are city people.

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishI like the freedom to make bad choices.

+1
grin.gif

Ive said it before and Ill say it again. I'm almost 45. Ive seen a doc 3 times in 30 years. If I'm FORCED to pay for this health care B*** S*** I'm gonna use it 3 times a week!!! I'll get nice and fat where I cant reach areas and need a sponge bath. :~ Trust me I will!!!!

Whoa thar Sweaty...some of us city slickers regularly work out.2 or 3 times per week, run 3miles/weights etc. I am 5'10 225# bench 280x30 and love cheesburgers -venison.

I do have a penchant for asian, italian and fusion food.
"freedom to make bad choices" yep that sums up an interesting life.
T2G

"one single object...[will merit] the endless gratitude of society: that of restraining the judges from usurping legislation. And with no body of men is this restraint more wanting than with the judges of what is commonly called our Federal Government, but what I call our foreign department."
"The question of wether the judges are invested with exclusive authority to decide on the constitutionality of a law has been heretofor a subject of consideration with me in the exercise of my official duties. Certainly, there is not a word in the Constitution which has given that power to them more than to the Executive or Legislative branch."
"The Constitution...meant that its coordinate branches should be checks on each other. But the opinion which gives to judges the right to decide what laws are constitutional and what not, not only for themselves in their own sphere of action but for the Legislature and the Executive also in their spheres, would make the judiciary a despotic branch."
"To consider the judges as the ultimate arbiters of all constitutional questions is a very dangerous doctrine indeed, and one which would place us under the despotism of an oligarchy."
"My construction of the Constitution is...that each department is truly independent of the others and has an equal right to decide for itself what is the meaning of the Constitution, in the cases submitted to its actions.."
"But the Chief Justice says,'there must be an ultimate arbiter somewhere.' True, there must; but does that prove it is either party? The ultimate arbiter is the people of the Union, assembled by their deputies in convention, at the call of Congress or two-thirds of the States"
Thomas Jefferson

Originally Posted By: ozzyIve said it before and Ill say it again. I'm almost 45. Ive seen a doc 3 times in 30 years. If I'm FORCED to pay for this health care B*** S*** I'm gonna use it 3 times a week!!! I'll get nice and fat where I cant reach areas and need a sponge bath. :~ Trust me I will!!!!

Thanks Ozzy. Didn't need to read that. LOL

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishI like the freedom to make bad choices.

you said it all Stu, if the government can tell you what to eat,what doctor to go to, what medicine to take, where will it end. in todays government it wont. they will keep on taking our freedoms away until we are basically slaves to the government!

I like the freedom to make bad choices too, but I expect to reap the consequences of what I sow. A huge proportion of Americans now want someone else to reap what they sow. There's no personal accountability, no taking responsibility for one's own actions. It's all fine and good to sit around on your couch wathing TV getting fatter and fatter. I don't care. But I should not have to pay for your largess. I do not wish to take responsibility for the actions of others! That's assinine. If you make/cause a problem, be part of the solution. Expecting me to fix it is unAmerican.

Obviously, "you" and "me" are general terms here referring to "leeches" and "leeched."

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.
Abraham Lincoln

Don't get me wrong we all should have the choice to abuse ourselves as we see fit. But I have no problem paying high taxes on alcohol and tobacco. Finally prompted me to quit chewing after 30 years. I just have serious issues paying for someone else’s poor health care choices. In my opinion processed food and high sugar or even diet sodas should be taxed just like alcohol and tobacco. Maybe this would prompt people to make better healthier choices. Don't get me wrong I love a cold beer or drink as much as anyone. And I know how addictive tobacco is. After 4 years of not chewing someone can open a can of Copenhagen around me and I am like Pavlov’s dogs, drooling for a taste. I don't want the government to remove these choices, but we should pay a higher price for making bad decisions.

I went much of my life without health insurance. For about 15 years while in school and after starting in practice health insurance was just too expensive. So I do understand the plight of the uninsured. It was a choice I made. I could have paid the premiums but at nearly $700.00 a month for catastrophic coverage and exclusions for my wife’s pre-existing conditions, what was the point. I can pay a lot of Dr. Bills for that price. Many of the uninsured in this country are uninsured out of choice. They are people like me who are small business people or their employees. They seem to be able to drive two new cars but choose not to pay for health insurance. In most states there are already state and federal programs that people who are low income or uninsured can partake in. In the town I work in we have at least 25% of our Dr.'s working at a state run clinic that fees are based on income. The hospital has a large indigent fund that will pay the cost of hospitalizations for the uninsured or undocumented. What we don't have is total government control which is what is coming. I am all for regulation that limits the pre-existing condition limitations or being canceled if you get sick. I also think you should be able to keep your insurance if you lose your job. What you have to realize is these changes will also drive the cost of insurance up more.
Whether the government takes over insurance or private insurance is mandated to insure more high risk people the costs are going to go up. These costs are going to be absorbed one way or another by the working class. That is why I would prefer putting taxes on foods that promote bad health. Let the people who make poor choices offset the high cost of their own healthcare through a usury tax.

drscott

Last edited:
I fundamentally disagree with that.

taxes should be levied for the purpose of funding the necessary functions of govt. NOT to control individual behavior.

Stu, fundamentally I agree with you, however if insurance was not already regulated by the government than people with low risk would not pay much for it and people with high risk would pay an astronomical amount for it. People who do not see the Dr. much are already paying for those who use the health care system a lot. This isn't fair either. But it is the system we have. So I would much rather have lifestyle choices either benefit you or help pay the way for those choices.

drscott

Here in the liberal utopia with unicorns, aka Massachusetts, we have a form of universal HC (Romney Care). It started out with a noble cause and cost but, now is exploding in debt for the state and they are looking at "everything that moves or not" to tax the heck out of to cover the deficit.

So my $5k RE Tax will go to $6k or so, fees for DL up and my Carry Permit...ouch, meals tax, tax liquor/beer (first time ever).

Look at other states that have gone this UHC route and see what they are hiding in their deficits for UHC.

T2G
Going out to make more bad choices shortly

Last edited:
I don't think we should do evil... really I think if the country is this divided we should at anytime be allowed to call for a new election. Re-run...
But I just think it should be that simple. And we all know that nothing can be simple but I don't think it's right to be forced to do anything.
I know with all my pre-existing conditions I can't get healthcare for less than a $1000 a month but I'm ok with that. They let me pay them at the hospital, the clinics, eye doctors, so forth. But I also know a lot of small companies that are just holding on by a thread as is that will close doors if that passes and I'd rather have some income and no healthcare then no income and jailed because I can't afford the healthcare.

One of the main purposes of this is to get as many people as possible to be as dependent as possible on the government, and to get them used to that, and get them used to the government controlling this much of their lives.

The Dems have a long view and a large agenda. It starts with being a PERMANENT majority, and having us sheep accustomed to being led around by the rings in our noses. Not just us, but the next generation growing up with accepting government controlled health care and not ever guessing that there's something wrong with that, or that things were ever different. Passive acceptance of dependency and control. Then the Dems can more easily build their "Utopia" on the backs of everyone.

Health care is just the vehicle.

Back