Heading out for my first attempt....

paparoof

Hey so I just decided I'm done reading and watching videos and I'm ready to give this thing a try. I'm gonna head out on Saturday for my first attempt at a coyote. I've got a spot picked out in the Sherburne NWR - I drove up and checked it out in person last week and it looks perfect as long as the wind cooperates.

Sit downwind from where I expect the yotes to be, sit in the shade, don't move, don't make noise (besides calling), lip squeek to stop 'em right before I shoot. I'm thinking of picking up one of these too.

Any last minute advice? Stupid mistakes most first-timers make that you can clue me into?

Any of you experienced folks wanna tag along?

Hate to rain on your parade but I dont think you can hunt coyote in the Sherburne NWR(in MN I assume). You might want to do some checking before you go. I'd hate to hear that your first hunt was a disaster.

Aw crap, you're right, I just re-read the regs on their website and you're right. It says no predator hunting.

Well it's back to google maps I go.

Anyone wanna suggest a WMA within an hour or two of the twin cities?

Last edited:
Well I got out of work early today, picked out a WMA and went for it. I only got to make one real stand, stayed on it about 40 minutes. I won't say I didn't call in any coyotes, but I sure as heck didn't see any. I'm going out again tomorrow for a full day and I'm bringing a buddy so I'll have twice as many eyes scanning the area.

Here's a very important question about the buddy and Minnesota law - he was born after 1980, so he's young enough to require the "firearms safety certificate" before he can buy hunting licenses. He does NOT have this certificate. HOWEVER as the regulations state: (copied directly from the bottom of page 23 of the MN regs book)

Quote:Residents and nonresidents are not required to have a license to hunt unprotected species including coyote.

Does this apply to him as well? Can he legally shoot a coyote?

in the shurburne wma there is no predator hunting allowed i have stopped in to the dnr station that is there and they said NO predator hunting in the refuge they are protected there

Best as I can find, there is no Sherburne WMA, so I can only assume you're referring to the Sherburne NWR which we've already agreed does not allow predator hunting.

As I was leaving the WMA that I did hunt this afternoon (Kunkle - just north of the Sherburne NWR), I chatted with a DNR warden, told him what I was hunting for and he was fine with it, so I really don't think it's a problem in WMAs.

You can hunt WMA's and most other public land. Just not the National Wildlife Refuges (NWR) of which Sherburne is one.

Tim

Back