lost on the prairie...

PrairieMuffin

My love and passion for the outdoors has me on high overdrive this year and I feel that I need to do this for many reasons, for the men, woman, and children. I would love to host many things such as special youth season, woman hunting, so forth..do something special just to open the eyes of a child is an amazing feeling. Watching a man with his son, teaching him to honor the outdoors really captures my heart and I want to be able to hand that to them. I think woman need more woman so they don't feel so alone. Huh? Woman hunt but alone...let me explain that..as much as I love to hunt it's not something I go running to the girls to talk about. I think there is so much missing from hunting it needs someone to come jump out there say it's ok to love it!!! I want to meet and be able to help many other hunters. However, my problem of course is getting this started.. so with any help, imput, advice from there, would be greatly accepted and much appreciated..

just do it ;)first you need to find the cabins you want, then you need to build them, honestly I think you can do it, heck tony started the Predator College on a dream and it seems to be going great.

what your wanting to do is a big venture and its going to take a lot of time and money to do it.

a suggestion would be to try and find a place like the one you want and go and visit it, to get a better idea of how to do it.

you can do it, you just have to want to do it, and if you do it, I'll even come out and stay there for a day or two
grin.gif

You need two things ....desire (vision) and money. You have the first, the second may or may not be more difficult.

Prairie Muffin, I can only give you some personal experience..

When I retired from law enforcement, my wife and I bought an old house (150 years old) that still had the Slave Quarters and refurbished it for operation as a Bed & Breakfast...To make it work, you have to have a really high volume of activity to keep the IRS out of your hair and our third year, we experienced the 500 year flood in '93 and lost 80% of our business and had to close....It's one of those endeavors that you do out of love, rather than profit as it involves long hard hours and you may make $0.50 per hour at the end of the day...if you are busy...and want the reputation of 'being the best' in the area...

The ranch we go to in SE Colorado (35 mi from town) for Prairie Dogs has the owners original house (they built a new one) and it's set up for hunters, will sleep seven, with a fully stocked kitchen (utensils), TV, VCR, etc... and full run of the 75,000 acre ranch... He charges us $25 per person per night and it's really comfortable...We stock up on every thing we think we will need before going out since we have no intention of returning to town until we leave..

They will not get rich off of the guys that go there, but we've all been screened enough that he trusts us to take care of his property...Plus he has hunting leases out for different big game animals...

You have several advantages weighing in on you side right now.

1. Many people find if hard to impossible to find anyplace to hunt.

2. With the internet, you can screen and advertise for Clients.

3. Labor is relatively cheap just now.

4. Pretty women always attract enthusiastic men!

5. I have 3 daughters and have to concede women are good organizers.

6. Many would volunteer work/advice for a place to hunt!

7. When I worked for the State, the common threat from management was to re-assign people to Beaver County! I thought that would be like Brer Rabbit and the Briar Patch?
The panhandle (Oklahoma) probably could use some attention!

Good luck and good fortune to you!

Sam H. Asbury, III
CLEET # 08 PIA 2782

Very good thank you all!!

I found the property,& cabins I liked, and now have started on a running total... yes, the money is gonna be the problem, thats where the idea stopped now, good idea great intentions but....
I'll still be thinkin of ideas to do though maybe one of these days.

Last edited:
Start it as a not for profit business, solicit donations/support from outdoor industry and state groups. SBA loans are ok to get going but, they will require a business plan (5yrs) and a track record of successful donor gifts as seed money. A white knight donor for land/services/equipment/ etc can assist you in making the leap. Additionally, a donor can create a "trust" out of a land/cabin property grant to your not for profit and get tax breaks through perhaps the state or Fed.

Research and a good bench team behind you to guide you.
Just my .02

T2G

+1 with Stu Farish. Try the NRA as they are always looking for ways to introduce others(say women) into the shooting sports. My wife hunts 'yotes and deer with me and DOESN'T have anyone(female) in our immediate area that does those things. That leaves her most of her relationship side of sports being ME and some of our male friends.. The last two years, when she got her deer, the first person she called(after me) was a female LIBERAL friend whose husband I hunt with. She just needed to share her very exciting experience with another female.

You have a dream. Go for it. Just start small, and do as much cash as possible......

Pitch the NRA a Womens Program (similar to BOW effort or as a BOW partner)based at the NRA Whittington Center managed by yourself/team as a way to establish yourself as a player. Move on from there to seeking donors etc as then you will have a portfolio of successful work in the field so to speak. Document everything, pics, video and written articles; nothing fancy-fulblown vid production, glossy mags. Just small shorts for web publication, like PM or other BB.

While OPM has risks, it becomes almost a necessary evil later on -I am not recommend SBA loans to start up, just look to them later on as you are establishing - growing your effort.

I do this for a living here in NE -Business Consultant.

T2G

Last edited:
Tommy thanks!
Thats some good ideas!!
I have been organizing events for yrs..media planning, advertising, and marketing....so what I really need to do is keep going with what i know the best but change the thought process on the types business.

Stu don't worry I have no plans of borrowing money to do it..I'm hoping a lottery ticket will follow into my hands.

Hey borkon!
smile.gif
I may need some help in that area!

Things will come in all due time, I'm very serious about making this happen I know time will only tell on how long it takes to put cabins up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PrairieMuffinHey borkon!
smile.gif
I may need some help in that area!

Things will come in all due time, I'm very serious about making this happen I know time will only tell on how long it takes to put cabins up. can i hunt coyotes on my lunch break
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: PrairieMuffin
....I found the property,& cabins I liked, and now have started on a running total... yes, the money is gonna be the problem, thats where the idea stopped now, good idea great intentions but....

Give us some details.
Do you mean you found a property to buy that has cabins ?
How about just leasing the cabins.... make a deal with the owner....you promote it...run it and buy into the property.
I would definately get advise from somebody in the motel/cabin/campground business.
It sounds like a good idea but every business is filled with traps.
Proceed with caution but don't give it up just because the money up front looks really big.
Tell us more.
Again,you need someone in the know to look at that particular property. Not some consultant/real estate guy, but lifelong motel/cabin/campground owner.
Keep us posted.

PC

Your idea is really appealing, being out there, hunting, guiding with a stake in the business are all big plus's. Your personality seems to point to repeat customers. Good luck and let us know how thing progress. I've been on some guided hunts and while the hunts are memorable they wouldn't have been as nice if it wasn't for the good guide/host . You have to have both, decent hunting and a personable guide/host.

Last edited:
Just go for it. The reasons not to will always be there, but that doesn't mean that It can't or shouldn't be done. You have a calling in your spirit right now. You can either feed it or repress it and kill part of your spirit/heart.
Every man dies but not every man truely lives. Find what makes you come alive and go for it with all you've got. What society needs is more people who are truely alive, instead of the miserable shells that we see walking around us every day. They killed their dreams and hate the ones who are brave enough to try.....

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt

Start small and Go big LIVE LIFE!
laugh.gif

Back