Squirrel Dogs

Hey, 6mm06, I have been reading this thread for a couple of weeks, and thought I had missed out on replying.

I had a fiest squirrel dog when I was a kid, and she was a good one, or at least I was mighty proud of her. When she was young, she caught several squirrels when they hit the ground running.

A friend of mine had a dog that the old-timers called a "Ring-necked Shepherd" that had a trick that I've never seen since.
When "Shep" treed a squirrel and we got to the tree to look for it, he would circle the tree and stay on the opposite side of the tree from us. After a few minutes of looking, if we didn't shoot the squirrel, Shep would jump about 4 feet high, grab a bush or grapevine in his teeth, and give it a good shake, trying to turn the squirrel.
I suppose Shep had picked up that trick from watching hunters do it. He is the only dog I've ever heard of that did this.

Savage,

Sounds like Shep was more human than dog. How about that! I've never seen or heard of a dog do that before. That's a very necessary part of making noise on the opposite side of the tree to get the squirrel to come around to the shooters side.

Now if only I can my dog to do that! I wonder what the chances are? Ha ha.

Thanks for sharing that.

i got a old cur dog, had for years now. i paid 600 for him i ve a ball with him at night treeing coon and squirrels in the daytime, i try to tag out early in bow season so all my free time im squirrel huntin

Any dog can be trained to hunt squirrels, but curs, fiests and terriers seem to do the best at it.

the trick to training them is to teach them to follow the squirrel when it jumps from tree to tree and this is where a lot of hounds loose the squirrel they stay on the first tree the squirrel goes up.

if you look at my avatar to the left thats my jack russell cross treeing a gray squirrel.

orson
living the dream on unemployment

Originally Posted By: fw707Here's a picture of Sarge treed at 6 weeks old.
grin.gif

Sargeonthewood.jpg

And here's a picture of his ole Dad Atom:

AtomonFullCryCover.jpg

What breed of dog are they? They kind of look like a boxer.

Originally Posted By: fw707They are Feist.

Thanks. I have never heard of them before. I just looked up the breed on wikipedia.

That little one is really cute.

Back