hearing enhancers??(Can you hear me, now?)

Savagenut

I was wondering if a lot of the guys on here are like myself, with a few years behind them, and their hearing not what it used to be. Too many years in construction work, trucking, shooting large rifles or shotguns, etc?? Yeah, I know, you're supposed to wear hearing protection, but that's water under the bridge. Sometimes, it's not available, or not provided by the company, and besides, hearing loss only happens to older guys, right??

Anyhow, I was curious what others are using to enhance their hearing, or IF they are.

For myself, I found a small ITE(in-the-ear) device for about $20.00 that works great for me. It is actually 2 units, one for each ear, so you get "stereo" effect, and each unit has a volume control.

It's called "Woodland Whisper Hearing Enhancer AC." It has 3 sets of tips, for different size ear canals, and comes with a small brown "tobacco sack" to carry/store them in. In the original package, there is a pack of 4 batteries, that you should probably just throw away, and replace them with Duracells, Energizers, etc. These batt's are about the size of a pencil eraser.

I have used my set for 2 1/2 years now, and am still on the first package of Duracells. I use them during Spring Turkey Season, Deer Season, coyote hunting sometimes, and when I'm squirrel hunting. They really help me hear better. Like I told one guy, I can hear songbirds that I haven't heard in 20 years!!

These little units also have Audio Compression (AC) that cuts out at about 85 decibels, so I can, and have, fired my Remmy 3 1/2" shotgun, my .250 Savage, a .22LR, and several other firearms while using them.

I'm not high-tech enough to post pictures of these devices, but, if you need some help with your hearing, they are worth a look-see. Plus, they won't break the bank. If you happen to lose one or both, it's not impossible to buy replacements.

Anyhow, just thought I would share my experience with others on here.

I use the Howard leight electronic muffs. They function the same way. I really like using them...my rifle will ring my ears for the rest of the day if your not using some kind of protection.

Originally Posted By: LeviSS...my rifle will ring my ears for the rest of the day if your not using some kind of protection.

I always heard that the ringing was an indication of irreparable damage.
My ears ring ALL day, EVERY day.
cry.gif

I have a set of the walkers powerquad muffs. big money for poor equipment.
I have started looking for replacements and the Leoghts seem to be real popular. Savagenut, can you provide a link to the ITE's that you use?

...don't know why I didn't think of providing a link...I'm not real 'puter-savvy.

Anyhow, here it is:

www.exploreproducts.com/woodlandwhisper ITEhearingenhancer.HTM

Be sure to look for the ITE version, as they also have a behind-the-ear model.

I have edited this post, because the link doesn't work for me, UNLESS I type in the ITEhearingenhancer.HTM portion. I checked it as soon as I posted, and it took me to a page that was not available. Like I said, I'm not real high-tech...

Last edited:
Back